Life Insurance after Breast Cancer

Options
Kiantae
Kiantae Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone tried to get life insurance after having Breast Cancer? It is open enrollment time for benefits at my work and options for Life Insurance are offered. Because my company is changing insurers, for this year only, a set amount of life insurance is guranteed without a medical history being required. If you want additional coverage a medical history form needs to be completed and policy approved. I was wondering if anyone on this board has tried to get Life Insurance and what the outcome of the approval process was. I am planning on going with the guaranteed amount and not tempt fate, but it made me wonder. My husband also was diagnosed with early stage Prostate cancer this year so we are in the same boat with him.

Comments

• linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    Long-term care
    I was not able to get long-term care insurance through my husband's work insurance because of my breast cancer (to cover if I need home nursing care or if I am in a nursing home).
    Linda
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    linpsu said:

Long-term care
    I was not able to get long-term care insurance through my husband's work insurance because of my breast cancer (to cover if I need home nursing care or if I am in a nursing home).
    Linda

I am a licensed insurance agent in CT.
    I own my own agency and know a lot about insurance companies...unfortunately. Life insurance is a challenge after breast cancer for the first 5 years and sometimes longer. However, there are some companies that offer guaranteed amounts. Check on the internet by typing in guaranteed issue life insurance. I just purchased long term care insurance without an issue even though I had stage 1 breast cancer under 2 years ago. I don't sell long term care insurance but the agent told me that bc wasn't a knock out question. I would try another company. Insurance companies...bah humbug!

Roseann
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    roseann4 said:

I own my own agency and know a lot about insurance companies...unfortunately. Life insurance is a challenge after breast cancer for the first 5 years and sometimes longer. However, there are some companies that offer guaranteed amounts. Check on the internet by typing in guaranteed issue life insurance. I just purchased long term care insurance without an issue even though I had stage 1 breast cancer under 2 years ago. I don't sell long term care insurance but the agent told me that bc wasn't a knock out question. I would try another company. Insurance companies...bah humbug!

Roseann

Roseann can you tell me
    Can I buy the guaranteed policies in multiples from different companies is that legal. Or do I just have to wait out a waiting period. Thanks Kay
  • roseann4
    Options

Roseann can you tell me
    Can I buy the guaranteed policies in multiples from different companies is that legal. Or do I just have to wait out a waiting period. Thanks Kay

Some applications will ask....
    what other coverage you have and some don't care. We also have to consider the cost and our age has a lot to do with the price. I just turned 60 and if I were buying life insurance at my age, it would be quite expensive so I would look for a policy to cover final expenses rather than a big policy. Every state is different, so if you have a local insurance agency stop in and talk with someone who can give you more advise for your situation.

Roseann
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I've been getting a lot of
    I've been getting a lot of 'junk mail' recently about life insurance - I turn 65 next June. Several have said on them that no one can be "turned down" - but then in small print it says that for the first 2, or in some cases 5, years IF you have a pre-existing condition, you will only be covered for accidental death.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Roseann

I had my life insurance in
    I had my life insurance in place before bc, so, I was very lucky in that way. I think the insurance companies do have some sort of baseline as to being cancer free for 5, and, for some it is 10 years.

My husband also has life insurance on me through his work, and, nothing was asked about my health condition. It was just automatic.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

I've been getting a lot of
    I've been getting a lot of 'junk mail' recently about life insurance - I turn 65 next June. Several have said on them that no one can be "turned down" - but then in small print it says that for the first 2, or in some cases 5, years IF you have a pre-existing condition, you will only be covered for accidental death.

100 percent agreement with Rague .. Ladies, please
    read the small print .. In my case 7 years after breast cancer diagnosis .. then I can be reconsidered .. Accidental death, only.

Good luck to you all!

Vicki Sam
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

100 percent agreement with Rague .. Ladies, please
    read the small print .. In my case 7 years after breast cancer diagnosis .. then I can be reconsidered .. Accidental death, only.

Good luck to you all!

Vicki Sam

Accidents can be ruled suicide by ins. companies.
    A long time ago I was told by an ins. saleswoman friend to never buy accident only life ins. If you are an active person in sports that can be considered 'dangerous' they will deny any claim if you die doing your sport. I've also been told that if you are on Accident Only because of ore-exisiting health issues that they will often deny as they will find enough to deem it suicide if you die in an accident that involves only you.

Susan
  • roseann4
    Options
    Rague said:

Accidents can be ruled suicide by ins. companies.
    A long time ago I was told by an ins. saleswoman friend to never buy accident only life ins. If you are an active person in sports that can be considered 'dangerous' they will deny any claim if you die doing your sport. I've also been told that if you are on Accident Only because of ore-exisiting health issues that they will often deny as they will find enough to deem it suicide if you die in an accident that involves only you.

Susan

Most states....
    Most states have a noncontestablity clause which states that after you own a policy for 2 years, they cannot deny coverage even for suicide. Contact your State Dept. of Insurance for details on your state's guidelines.

Roseann
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    never thought of life insurance-like that
    I have few policies..but non have I ever had physical-I DO not remember filling out health questions-but could be since so long ago and I DID>.

i'll be interested to see other responses here..
  • Brooklynchele
    Brooklynchele Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Federal Policy
    After my diagnosis I looked into getting a policy. I was told I was not eligible until I have been cancer-free for 8 years.
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

Federal Policy
    After my diagnosis I looked into getting a policy. I was told I was not eligible until I have been cancer-free for 8 years.

could you explain
    LIfe policies can drop you? void if not 8 yrs out with out cancer?

OR I mis-reading...and confused..

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Most states....
    Most states have a noncontestablity clause which states that after you own a policy for 2 years, they cannot deny coverage even for suicide. Contact your State Dept. of Insurance for details on your state's guidelines.

Roseann

so if you have policy long term prior to cancer ok
    I have had all mine policies at least 10 yrs now-so 7 yrs prior to cancer...