Return to work

Options
rmkbrad
rmkbrad Member Posts: 176
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
So this last week my boss contacted me about trying to return to work for a short time to prevent the company from firing me. The company I work for has a policy to hold your job for one year, if I go back for one week it will reset the date. The problem is, I have a really bad feeling about going back. I love my job, but it is main line stress factory. I have been advised by the phycologist that the VA has me seeing that she feels by me not returning to work would benefit my health and quality of life, the doctors agreed. I managed to talk my radiolist into giving me a release for to return to work for a short time. I am worried that it will mess up my social security filling. I have long term disability from work that will pay me until the age of 64, also 100% VA disability so money at this point is not a problem. I have really mixed feeling. Thoughts???????????

Brad

Comments

  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Brad
    I see your problem, I am very lucky to still be able to work but I tell you it has really been very hard on my body. I am thinking of retiring this year coming but just don’t know what I would do with so much time on my hands
  • rmkbrad
    rmkbrad Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Hondo said:

    Hi Brad
    I see your problem, I am very lucky to still be able to work but I tell you it has really been very hard on my body. I am thinking of retiring this year coming but just don’t know what I would do with so much time on my hands

    Starting chemo
    The other problem is I am scheduled to start chemo again on Dec. 6 and radiation the end of January.
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    Options
    rmkbrad said:

    Starting chemo
    The other problem is I am scheduled to start chemo again on Dec. 6 and radiation the end of January.

    How long do you have to work
    How long do you have to work to reset the year clock. Would you be able to work for 2 weeks, it might be worth it to buy yourself another year of holding your job. Is the VA your primary insurance? Does losing your job permanently affect your medical treatment/insurance in any way.
    I am sorry you have to go through this on top of everything else and am glad you are seeing a counselor.
    Good luck
    Stacey
  • timreichhart
    timreichhart Member Posts: 194
    Options
    staceya said:

    How long do you have to work
    How long do you have to work to reset the year clock. Would you be able to work for 2 weeks, it might be worth it to buy yourself another year of holding your job. Is the VA your primary insurance? Does losing your job permanently affect your medical treatment/insurance in any way.
    I am sorry you have to go through this on top of everything else and am glad you are seeing a counselor.
    Good luck
    Stacey

    about work
    Does your work have FMLA or not? Because I was on FMLA unpaid for 4 months and I just came back to work because I was out of my FMLA hours for the year.
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Just went thru the same thing
    I just finished up going thru the same thing. I have long term disability approved till 65. Just two weeks ago after spending 30 months dealing with SS they have approved me. My stress was I believe what has put me where I am at. After not working since July of 2008 the stress has reduced especially after SS award. I now feel the quality of life and physic has been much better even though I have many long term side effects to deal with.
    I can not suggest what is best for you but I know what was best for me. I also got a dog, yellow lab called Sawdust. Life by the grace of God is wonderful.
    Good luck with your choice.

    John
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

    Just went thru the same thing
    I just finished up going thru the same thing. I have long term disability approved till 65. Just two weeks ago after spending 30 months dealing with SS they have approved me. My stress was I believe what has put me where I am at. After not working since July of 2008 the stress has reduced especially after SS award. I now feel the quality of life and physic has been much better even though I have many long term side effects to deal with.
    I can not suggest what is best for you but I know what was best for me. I also got a dog, yellow lab called Sawdust. Life by the grace of God is wonderful.
    Good luck with your choice.

    John

    I have To Agree
    My Boss did help me out in this area, and working me a few hours and I can claim full dissability, it's only a few hours, but I feel better. I could'nt work full time, My body seems to want more sleep now than ever, I thought maybe is was laziness, I was a morning person up at 5- am and constantly working, I get up at 10, 11 am, when not working and struggle to get something done. The stress will get you, I am still waiting for my first Dissability Check after filing in June 3, of this year, Suppose to be in December and this has crunched me financially. I have a feeling the doctors feel they have done all they can and i will left out to fend and see what happens, I hate this feeling, a year ago I was in a hospital i am sure, another surgery, not nowing about cancer, a year later, what a toll it takes on you, I act more like a 90 year old than 52, I want it back so bad, it just plain sucks. Is it attitude or the Cancer typing? Feel so weak. Dennis. Count your luck stars you got dissability, it takes forever to rebound from Cancer, even when I tried to put up a front, it didn't work, I still looked tired, and worn out, but there are days that i can get threw it better than others, and when your taking rads and chemo, strikes the bod hard..My Very Best Too You. Dennis
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

    about work
    Does your work have FMLA or not? Because I was on FMLA unpaid for 4 months and I just came back to work because I was out of my FMLA hours for the year.

    FMLA
    I believe that FMLA is calculated on a rolling 1200 hours....
  • rmkbrad
    rmkbrad Member Posts: 176
    Options
    The stress has allready started
    Well I got a letter to return to work from my doctor, be that I work in corporate USA that was not good enough. They wanted a official company form filled out, so I send it to my doc and she fills it out and faxs it in. Not good enough, not I have to go see one of the company docs to have a fit for return to work evaluation done. Last night I had a hard time sleeping and extra pain in my left ear, it might be my imagination but I think it is the stress. Urggg I don't need this, they called me and wanted me to come back for a short bit before I start chemo again. Sorry just venting.

    Brad
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    rmkbrad said:

    The stress has allready started
    Well I got a letter to return to work from my doctor, be that I work in corporate USA that was not good enough. They wanted a official company form filled out, so I send it to my doc and she fills it out and faxs it in. Not good enough, not I have to go see one of the company docs to have a fit for return to work evaluation done. Last night I had a hard time sleeping and extra pain in my left ear, it might be my imagination but I think it is the stress. Urggg I don't need this, they called me and wanted me to come back for a short bit before I start chemo again. Sorry just venting.

    Brad

    Hi Brad
    It is OK to vent here we all understand and go through the same Crap, instead of helping it seams like they just want to make it harded. But remember we are Survivors and we will Survive.
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

    Hi Brad
    It is OK to vent here we all understand and go through the same Crap, instead of helping it seams like they just want to make it harded. But remember we are Survivors and we will Survive.

    I had to Update
    Monday I went into work where my boss was having a emotional rollercoaster ride, and decided to take her emotions on me for 2 solid hours, I am proud to say after she told me my cancer had effected me and she need to find another employee, i turned around an unload 6 years of miserable grief i had carried and walked out on the #$*%&^%, she's run off more employees before my eyes and was so glad to give her my last of postive cancer grief....Hang in There Hondo, my dissabiliy starts in 2 weeks and I'm looking for a few hours a week at something i want to do..Best To All, Now I can Heal From Cancer. Dennis
  • rmkbrad
    rmkbrad Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Well, I went back to work today. 3 half days this week and then back to chemo next monday. I really can't say that I have missed work, I spent the entire time explaining why I am so skinney. I lost 110 pounds since I left work 10 months ago. Still trying to get my passwords reset so I can erase all to old emails. Oh well.


    Brad