Diarrhea

Options
judybumgarner
judybumgarner Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I was diagnosed with stage 2 Ovarian Cancer two years ago. I went through a hysterectomy and chemotherapy. In the year and a half since I finished chemo I have been battling diarrhea. My CA 125 has been very constant, at or close to 5, and my overall health has been improving steadily, but I can't trust my bowels anymore! I have been using Citrucil for over the last year and that has helped pretty well but lately I have been having several instances when I have leakage. It is very embarrasing and uncomfortable not to be able to trust your own body! Have any others had this problem? I had a colonoscopy about a year ago and they found nothing beyond the scaring from the surgery.
If anyone has found something that works for this please advise. I'd love to be 'normal' again.
Thank you for your time and any advise I receive.

Comments

• Sandy10
    Sandy10 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Judy,
    Did you have any bowel

Judy,

Did you have any bowel resections? I was stage IIIC and had a hysterectomy, appendix and omentum removed as well as bowel resections in 2 places. I also have been fighting with chronic diarrhea since my surgery. I have had a multitude of tests including a colonoscopy. All came back fine.So why the diarrhea then? No one knows. my last chemo was 4 1/2 months ago. I take a medicine called questran. it's a powder that you put in juice to take. I also take LOADS of immodium. Nothing was helping. THEN my doctor told me to take an over the counter med called "align" and guess what? it's working!!!! it's a natural med that restores the normal flora of bacteria that is in your bowels. I've been on it for 3 weeks now and it has helped a lot. I think that since chemo can kill good cells too, that maybe it killed off our good bacteria in the bowels.

I know all too well about not being able to go too far from my home because of this too. I could never get too far from a bathroom no matter where i was. Had my share of leaking as well. Hope this helps you. good luck!!!

Sandy
  • Susan523
    Susan523 Member Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Me, too....
    I've had the ongoing diarrhea problem for 4 years now... since my surgery June, 2006.

My Dr. has me on a powder called "Cholestyramine". I was on 3 pouches a day a couple years ago, but now only a teaspoon. I also had a colonoscopy a couple weeks ago, which came back GOOD :)

Immodium doesn't work for me.

I also tried the Align, but darn, it didn't work for me, but certainly worth a try!

Good luck~

~Susan xoxo
  • judybumgarner
    Options
    Sandy10 said:

Judy,
    Did you have any bowel

Judy,

Did you have any bowel resections? I was stage IIIC and had a hysterectomy, appendix and omentum removed as well as bowel resections in 2 places. I also have been fighting with chronic diarrhea since my surgery. I have had a multitude of tests including a colonoscopy. All came back fine.So why the diarrhea then? No one knows. my last chemo was 4 1/2 months ago. I take a medicine called questran. it's a powder that you put in juice to take. I also take LOADS of immodium. Nothing was helping. THEN my doctor told me to take an over the counter med called "align" and guess what? it's working!!!! it's a natural med that restores the normal flora of bacteria that is in your bowels. I've been on it for 3 weeks now and it has helped a lot. I think that since chemo can kill good cells too, that maybe it killed off our good bacteria in the bowels.

I know all too well about not being able to go too far from my home because of this too. I could never get too far from a bathroom no matter where i was. Had my share of leaking as well. Hope this helps you. good luck!!!

Sandy

Thank you for your advise
    I should probably state that I didn't really have 'diarrhea' but closer to very soft stool but the affects are the same. You never know when you are going to get a 'suprise'. I had surgery similar to yours but I don't remember anything about a bowel resection. I know that the cancerous ovary had adhered to the intestines and bowel in several places however. When I had my colonoscopy I was aware of pain even though I was under heavy sedation but nothing that lasted very long. So there was scarring.
    I never had to use Immodium but maybe I should try it. I use something called Culturelle. I think this is very similar to Align. It has helped but I still have problems more than I would like. I will have to talk to my doctor about Questran. I never thought I would be so involved with something we take for granted for so many years! I definitely would appreciate a normal body function again. I'm thankful that I'm not the only one with this problem.
    Thank you for discussing this embarrasing problem with me. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Judy
  • judybumgarner
    Options
    Susan523 said:

Me, too....
    I've had the ongoing diarrhea problem for 4 years now... since my surgery June, 2006.

My Dr. has me on a powder called "Cholestyramine". I was on 3 pouches a day a couple years ago, but now only a teaspoon. I also had a colonoscopy a couple weeks ago, which came back GOOD :)

Immodium doesn't work for me.

I also tried the Align, but darn, it didn't work for me, but certainly worth a try!

Good luck~

~Susan xoxo

Thank you for your advise as well
    I will have to ask my doctor about the 'Cholestryramain'. Does the Cholestryramain make your body function like it did prior to the cancer and chemotherapy? Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving! Judy
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Diahhrea
    I have st.3 ov ca and also had bowel resection among other body parts gone including my spleen. Since then when on and off chem I need to go 3 or 4 times a day , especially after a meal. I try to eat lite if i am working or out and about. I nver like public restrooms but now i make sure i kmow where they are , thus my husband calls me poopergirl....
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Diahhrea
    I have st.3 ov ca and also had bowel resection among other body parts gone including my spleen. Since then when on and off chem I need to go 3 or 4 times a day , especially after a meal. I try to eat lite if i am working or out and about. I nver like public restrooms but now i make sure i kmow where they are , thus my husband calls me poopergirl....

I understand
    I too had a bowel resection in more than one area. Also had a temporary illeostomy which was reversed after my inital treatment. I most usually have diarrhea. Like you said, especially after meals. Strong urgency as well. I figuered the name was because of that I guess it is better than chronic constipation.
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    nancy591 said:

I understand
    I too had a bowel resection in more than one area. Also had a temporary illeostomy which was reversed after my inital treatment. I most usually have diarrhea. Like you said, especially after meals. Strong urgency as well. I figuered the name was because of that I guess it is better than chronic constipation.

constipation queen
    I had a bowel resection also and my digestive system rarely is "normal". I hope you fine answers to help you with this...... you are NOT alone with these issues!
    (((HUGS))) Maria