Diabetes & Cancer

Chefrox
Chefrox Member Posts: 32
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have had type 2 diabetes for almost three years and it's a constant roller coaster. I was wondering if any of you have diaetes and how has it worked with your BC? I know Doc will tell me what to do but I am curious as to your experiences with both conditions?

Thanks
Chef Rox

Comments

• webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Hi Chef Rox
    I can't offer any infor on the diabetes and b/c question, but I saw on your profile that you are brand new and still waiting some path results. Welcome..I'm sure you are beginning to realize this is a life changer. But with each other's prayers and advice and support, it can make us stronger. But at a price. Please, try not to worry to much about things that aren't on the table. Believe me, they will come up! God bless you..and thank you! Hugs...alison
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138

Hi Chef Rox
    I can't offer any infor on the diabetes and b/c question, but I saw on your profile that you are brand new and still waiting some path results. Welcome..I'm sure you are beginning to realize this is a life changer. But with each other's prayers and advice and support, it can make us stronger. But at a price. Please, try not to worry to much about things that aren't on the table. Believe me, they will come up! God bless you..and thank you! Hugs...alison

Me too Chef Rox
    I am also a type 2 diabetic, about 5 yrs now. The worst time for me was during chemo when I would have the steroids, it would make my sugar level shoot up there. When I was first dx as diabetic I lost about 80 lbs. Sad to say I have gained about 30 back. I have not been on meds for mine for about 4 yrs. now so I am doing well. Just had my labs done and my A1C was 6.4 I finished chemo in July and rads in Sept. I am hoping I will feel like starting to walk on a more regular basis soon. I keep kids so I am on the go all day but also really tired at the end of the day. Being on the Tamoxifen is making weight loss tough too. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415

Me too Chef Rox
    I am also a type 2 diabetic, about 5 yrs now. The worst time for me was during chemo when I would have the steroids, it would make my sugar level shoot up there. When I was first dx as diabetic I lost about 80 lbs. Sad to say I have gained about 30 back. I have not been on meds for mine for about 4 yrs. now so I am doing well. Just had my labs done and my A1C was 6.4 I finished chemo in July and rads in Sept. I am hoping I will feel like starting to walk on a more regular basis soon. I keep kids so I am on the go all day but also really tired at the end of the day. Being on the Tamoxifen is making weight loss tough too. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Like you...
    I too have Type 2 diabetes that was diagnosed at about the same time as the BC...therefore I had not really sorted things out when I started chemo. I think you will find it is a roller coaster.Make sure you have your test kit with you when you have chemo. They will do labs before, but it is good to test during because it can suddenly spike because of the steroids. Extra diabetes meds were added during chemo and radiation and insulin too.

Good luck! Pat