Options
2»

Comments

• tanker sgv
    tanker sgv Member Posts: 124
    Options
    drookID said:

I'm so sorry.
    I am so sorry you are having to go through this. It is the hardest thing in the world!

I might be wrong, but it sounds like your mom is taking faster acting pain medicine, and you have to give it to her quite often.

We are going through this with my dad right now. He's got a broken hip due to a tumor in the bone, so any movement at all is extremely painful. We had to work with the hospice nurse to find something that provided longer lasting pain relief as well as a more constant level in his body. He is on a fentynl (sp?)time release patch every 48 hrs,and 1.25ml methadone about every 8 hours, and liquid oxy as needed for break thru pain (fast acting). The methadone builds up in his body, so even if he's an hour or so late getting some (because he's asleep), the pain isn't horrible. I don't know if any of these would help, but they might not hurt. The hospice nurse has been so nice, but we've had to push a couple of times when we felt dad wasn't getting what he needed.

All I know is that it's the hardest thing I've ever done to watch my super strong, brave dad cry because I touched his leg or have water dripped into his mouth because he doesn't have the strength to suck anything up through a straw.

Hang in there....a good friend who recently went through this told me that for every sad moment we're having now, we'll someday remember 10 moments that make us thankful we can be here with dad while he passes.

..Danialle

I will ask about the liquid
    I will ask about the liquid oxy tomarow. But I think she is finally past the pain, I hope. She has been comatose all day with meds in the morning only. After seven days of agony she looks like she is starting to relax. She to cannot swallow and the liquid meds are hard for her as well.what I found works for that is to soak a piece of gauze, ring it out and squirt the meds on that. When I put it in her mouth she sucks on it(don't let go of the gauze) it forces her to swallow. I know ur pain. Thank you for the advice i hope mine can help. Just be their for ur dad and best wishes