husband's treatment

Options
bancroft
bancroft Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
my husband was diagnosed with ext sclc august 2010.
Right lung partially collapsed with 2 masses in 2 lobes. Also plueral effusion around the lung and two small leasions on vertebrae that have not yet penetrated the bone.Scans/mris of his brain, stomach and pelvic area and spinal column all were negative for mets in those areas.

Started him on two rounds of chemo - carboplatin/etopiside - 3 days in a row then, 18 days off. Had two blood workups that were well within normal range. After second 3 day treatment a Ct Scan was done that showed no progression of disease. Only more fluid build up.But, no spreading.
Drained of 1.2 liters of fluid and changed his chemo regimen to carboplatin and irinotecan.
once a week for two weeks. No other scans but, bloodwork continued to be fine.

After these two chemo sessions was given a break and switched him to receiving radiation 5 days a week to total 22 treatment in all. He has two treatments left and, will begin the later chemo again a few days later.

Scans cannot be done for a month or so after radiation ends ( he'll be receiving chemo during the wait ). He's on less oxygen then earlier last month. The worst thing I see is extreme fatigue since radiation. Pain (he's on extended release morphine 15 mg. every 12 hours)
has always been in lower right side of back where biopsy that confirmed cancer cell was done. It's very tolerable . Getting him to eat has been hard. Loss of weight worries me. Docs say he's lost muscle weight. So, I too, am supplying him with high protein/high calorie drinks/foods.

He will also have radiation to his brain once cancer is in remission. Not sure why that is.

Will try to check in regularly. Hoping for remission.
By the way, forgot to mention that he is 62 years old. And, besides this crazy diease has been a very healthy person with no medical problems at all.

Comments

• Miss Bella
    Miss Bella Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Seems like things are going
    Seems like things are going well.He needs to stay on top of his fluids!! Good thing that you are helping him. Fatigue from radiation can really hit a couple of weeks after treatments are finished. When it comes to small cell lc, it likes to travel to the brain so that is why they recommend wbr so as to prevent brain mets.

Wishing you all the best
    MB
  • bancroft
    bancroft Member Posts: 16
    Options
    husband's treatment
    thanks MB.
    encouragement really helps.
    am posing another question. this time about medication he's been on and off for nausea/food taste and smells that cause him to gag.
    he's on zofran - 2 to 3 times daily. on small dose of ativan , even pepcid.
    he seems a bit more edgy when he's on zofran ( this could be my imagination ). docs may switch him to compazine. anyone with any feedback of success or not on any of these meds.
    he's finished all 22 radiation treatment without a break. docs were happy about that.
    tomorrow he starts back on chemo - carboplatin/irinotecan. this usually causes him even more stomach/bowel distress