A New Snag in My New "Normal" - SHINGLES!

Options
2»

Comments

• Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options

sorry to hear...I have heard how painful
    MY Mom had shingles several times over the years. (know the pain from watching her) LIKE you said good thing not on side with radiation. OK to vent...vent away!!!!!!!!!!!!

so to answer your question I have never had shingles-I hope it clears up soon!

Still having pain from
    Still having pain from shingles and still taking pain meds. Just hate that because it doesn't keep the pain down unless I take double meds and then it makes me sick, drowsy and dizzy. Its been hard this week as we lost a good friend to brain cancer. He fought bravely for the last 2 years, kept his sense of humor and even played golf as long as he could. His funeral was yesterday and I could only attend the service but didn't get to the cemetary. He was in the military and fought in Vietnam years ago, so he was buried with full military honors at Jefferson Barracks Cemetary in St. Louis County, MO.
    I hope to be able to have Thanksgiving at my house again this year, my hubby will be making the turkey, potatoes and gravy and I'll be making veggies, pecan pies and banana cream pies, if I get the energy. My one son makes the best old fashioned sage cornbread dressing (which I taught him), but his is better. My other son and his wife will be bringing pumpkin pies, so we will have plenty of food on hand. Only hope that my energy lasts the day as I'm used to taking a couple of hours nap every afternoon. Wishing all of you the best this Thanksgiving and we know we all have a lot to be thankful for.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Still having pain from
    Still having pain from shingles and still taking pain meds. Just hate that because it doesn't keep the pain down unless I take double meds and then it makes me sick, drowsy and dizzy. Its been hard this week as we lost a good friend to brain cancer. He fought bravely for the last 2 years, kept his sense of humor and even played golf as long as he could. His funeral was yesterday and I could only attend the service but didn't get to the cemetary. He was in the military and fought in Vietnam years ago, so he was buried with full military honors at Jefferson Barracks Cemetary in St. Louis County, MO.
    I hope to be able to have Thanksgiving at my house again this year, my hubby will be making the turkey, potatoes and gravy and I'll be making veggies, pecan pies and banana cream pies, if I get the energy. My one son makes the best old fashioned sage cornbread dressing (which I taught him), but his is better. My other son and his wife will be bringing pumpkin pies, so we will have plenty of food on hand. Only hope that my energy lasts the day as I'm used to taking a couple of hours nap every afternoon. Wishing all of you the best this Thanksgiving and we know we all have a lot to be thankful for.

So sorry that you aren't
    So sorry that you aren't over the shingles yet Sunrae. I hope you get relief soon.

And, my sympathy for your friend.

Hoping you have a nice Thanksgiving.

Hugs, Debby
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    So sorry
    I am so sorry to hear of your latest development. You just can't seem to catch a break, can you? You have gone through so much already, it just isn't fair. I am praying for a speedy recovery from the shingles.
    Linda
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are having
    I am so sorry you are having to deal with shingles - I've been told it's bad at best.

Last year, very shortly after starting chemo, my PA had said that she'd like for me to get the vaccine but would check with Dr. T first. Dr. T did not want me getting the vaccine while on chemo so didn't. Saw her the other day and am just waiting til Ft. Meade gets another batch in for them to schedule my shot.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Gosh Sunrea, I'm so sorry
    you had to endure shingles. My Mom experienced them as well as a neighbor and they are very painful.

I am praying that this passes quickly and you feel relief soon!

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    linpsu said:

So sorry
    I am so sorry to hear of your latest development. You just can't seem to catch a break, can you? You have gone through so much already, it just isn't fair. I am praying for a speedy recovery from the shingles.
    Linda

Sorry that your shingles
    Sorry that your shingles haven't gone away. Praying you get a break with them soon.

Hugs, Angie
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Sunrae said:

I've finished one of the
    I've finished one of the meds which I had to take for a week, its supposed to shorten the duration, but I'm not sure about that. I've cut the pain meds in half as I don't want to become addicted to oxycontin, and I'm also backing out of one of the meds which treat the nerve roots, which cause the pain. The one med makes me so sick and drowsy and I'm anxious to finish it up. I still have lots of blisters but some are starting to fade. I was sorry to hear you can get shingles more than once. I had chickenpox when I was young. A couple of years ago I wanted to get the shingles vacine but my primary didn't want me to as he didn't approve of it yet. I wonder if I would have got the shingles if I had got the vacine. He said you still get shingles only a lighter case. Has anyone had the vacine and still got the shingles?

You can only get the shot
    You can only get the shot for shingles if you are 60. I don't know if you are 60 or not Sunrae. A girlfriend of mine, unfortunately, has gotten shingles several times. Her doctor says it is her nerves.

Hoping yours clear up very quickly.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

I am so sorry you are having
    I am so sorry you are having to deal with shingles - I've been told it's bad at best.

Last year, very shortly after starting chemo, my PA had said that she'd like for me to get the vaccine but would check with Dr. T first. Dr. T did not want me getting the vaccine while on chemo so didn't. Saw her the other day and am just waiting til Ft. Meade gets another batch in for them to schedule my shot.

I'm sorry that you have the
    I'm sorry that you have the shingles. I have heard how painful and bad they are.

Hoping and praying you get some relief.

Hugs, Leeza
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Sunrae
    So sorry to hear you have to battle shingles. Ouch! Since I turned 60 last year I had the shingles vaccine at my physical. So glad I won't have to suffer. Hang in there and I hope it doesn't last too long.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    lafera12 said:

shingles
    Hi all
    I had them while I was going through chemo, it was also right after the doctor
    told me my white cell count was very very low. Ended up in the er for that, but
    saw the doctor a few days later and had the rash by then, ended up taking meds.
    and staying out of work for a week. Still have a little twinge every now and then
    and its been two years...
    Feel better
    Angie

I hope that your shingles
    I hope that your shingles are better by now Sunrae. Update us on how you are doing.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hugs, Diane