My mom has possible stage IV lung cancer

jins
jins Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
We found out in July that my mom has lung cancer, she is 58 years old. The doctors have been talking surgery pretty much from the beginning. She has a tumor on the brain, the radiation and chemo have made the tumor disappear. She recently found out the doctors are calling it stage IV, everything I have found on the intranet is so scary. She had a cat scan this week,and we find out the results next week. I am so confused as to how it goes from being just a small spot on her lung, which did go to her brain, but the tumor is gone and now only in her lung(which as far as we know it, has not moved) the doctors did say they can not find cancer anywhere else in her body, but since it has gone to her brain that it must be in her blood stream. I am trying to stay strong for my mom, and my brothers and sisters do not know yet that the doctors call it stage IV. Just really needed to get it off my chest, feel so alone and scared. Does anyone have any similar stories?

Comments

• Miss Bella
    Miss Bella Member Posts: 19
    If the drs are willing to
    If the drs are willing to remove the tumor in her lung and she can handle the surgery, I would say go for it.
    The met in her brain is gone. She is on the right path.
    A single met to the brain does not have to be the end of the world. There is hope. There was no other spread.

Wishing you all the best
  • jins

If the drs are willing to
    If the drs are willing to remove the tumor in her lung and she can handle the surgery, I would say go for it.
    The met in her brain is gone. She is on the right path.
    A single met to the brain does not have to be the end of the world. There is hope. There was no other spread.

Wishing you all the best

thank you Miss Bella
    Thank you for your words of encouragement, we find out the results on Thursday from her cat scan, I will be going, and have been writing down questions to ask. Praying they have good results, I will keep you posted. I just joined this site, it has already gave me so much insite and support. Thanks again, Jins
  • skipper85
    skipper85 Member Posts: 229
    Praying for you & your Mom

I am praying that your Mom gets good results on Thursday. My husband is having his lung cancer surgery that day. His last PET scan didn't show any mets but that was over (4) months ago. It took that long for him to make a decision to have surgery after completing his treatment for Stage IV throat cancer. So we don't know how that has led to any mets. I guess we'll know soon enough.

I know the waiting is the hardest part but try and be strong for your Mom. She's young and she seems to be responding to the chemo and radiation. Those are all good signs. The doctors wouldn't recommend surgery if they didn't think it would be effective. Hang in there. You never have to feel alone. We are always here for you. We know what you're going through. You vent any time you need to and ask for prayers and support as much as you need to.

(((Hugs))

Skipper85
  • jins
    skipper85 said:

Praying for you & your Mom

I am praying that your Mom gets good results on Thursday. My husband is having his lung cancer surgery that day. His last PET scan didn't show any mets but that was over (4) months ago. It took that long for him to make a decision to have surgery after completing his treatment for Stage IV throat cancer. So we don't know how that has led to any mets. I guess we'll know soon enough.

I know the waiting is the hardest part but try and be strong for your Mom. She's young and she seems to be responding to the chemo and radiation. Those are all good signs. The doctors wouldn't recommend surgery if they didn't think it would be effective. Hang in there. You never have to feel alone. We are always here for you. We know what you're going through. You vent any time you need to and ask for prayers and support as much as you need to.

(((Hugs))

Skipper85

good luck on your husbands surgery skipper85
    Thank you and I will be praying for your husband that everything goes well with his surgery, please keep us updated and stay strong. I will also keep you updated on the results. Hugs back at ya.

Jins