survival rate with bone mets

sweetvickid
sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Having trouble finding info on this. Only site I could find was saying 4 years. Anybody have info?

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    people can survive many many
    people can survive many many years with bone mets. hope the CT comes out good!
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    please remember
    Please remember that numbers are JUST numbers - we are all unique individuals. If your mom's mets are just to the hard part of the bones, she'll probably have a pretty good prognosis. If however, the mets get into the bone marrow or other soft tissue organs, the prognosis could be much different. Please don't jump to any conclusions, wait and discuss everything with the oncologist.

God bless us all.
    Marsha
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

please remember
    Please remember that numbers are JUST numbers - we are all unique individuals. If your mom's mets are just to the hard part of the bones, she'll probably have a pretty good prognosis. If however, the mets get into the bone marrow or other soft tissue organs, the prognosis could be much different. Please don't jump to any conclusions, wait and discuss everything with the oncologist.

God bless us all.
    Marsha

Marsha is right, they are
    Marsha is right, they are just numbers. Many people survive for years and years and live a normal life. Talk to the oncologist and don't just believe the stats you might hear or read.

Hugs, Leeza
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    With the newer treatments, I
    With the newer treatments, I don't think anyone really knows. Older articles put life expectancy at approximately 2-5 yrs.

However, when I was first diagnosed with Stage 3A in 1987, according to available statistics, I had a <25% chance of making it 5 yrs. That was 23 yrs ago.

The bottom line is that statistics for life expectancy are changing. Personally, I plan for the worst, but I fully expect to be here another 23 yrs.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Like Others Have Said Here...
    stats are just a number. I have a couple friends that have been living with bone mets for the past 8, 12 years and are still doing great! Treatments are changing and getting better all the time! You can still have a life!

Keep the positive attitude and go out and live for today! Don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will have enough worries in itself!! :)

Blessings,

Sally
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

With the newer treatments, I
    With the newer treatments, I don't think anyone really knows. Older articles put life expectancy at approximately 2-5 yrs.

However, when I was first diagnosed with Stage 3A in 1987, according to available statistics, I had a <25% chance of making it 5 yrs. That was 23 yrs ago.

The bottom line is that statistics for life expectancy are changing. Personally, I plan for the worst, but I fully expect to be here another 23 yrs.</p>

I always liked that
    I always liked that commercial where the cancer patient's doctor said there is no time limit stamped on your foot. There are so many new treatments that life expectancy is longer and longer anymore. Live your life!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    sal314 said:

Like Others Have Said Here...
    stats are just a number. I have a couple friends that have been living with bone mets for the past 8, 12 years and are still doing great! Treatments are changing and getting better all the time! You can still have a life!

Keep the positive attitude and go out and live for today! Don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will have enough worries in itself!! :)

Blessings,

Sally

Everyone is so right, stats
    Everyone is so right, stats are just numbers. Stay positive and don't worry, just live!

Hugs, Angie
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    The Median Isn't the Message by Stephen Jay Gould
    http://cancerguide.org/median_not_msg.html

This is a wonderful essay about numbers. I hope you read it.

The stats on the internet are old. It takes a long time to compile them and from all I have read, nobody seems to be updating them.

Bone is a good place if there is a good place for cancer to metastasize. It does depend it a person is ER/PR or HER2 positive vs negative. Marsha gave excellent advise.

I had lesions in my ribs in 2000 and am still here. I am ER positive. I used Arimidex in 2000 and the lesions went wherever they go. I was NED in 2008 when it returned. I had widespread pulmonary and pleura metastasis and have used Faslodex and then on to Femara. I now have back in my bones, but don't plan on going anywhere for a long time. I am 16 years since diagnose.

Don't waste to much time on stats. Live instead.

SIROD
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    carkris said:

people can survive many many
    people can survive many many years with bone mets. hope the CT comes out good!

I don't know anything
    I don't know anything either. Just want to wish you good luck with your treatments. This is really an oncologist question.

Hugs, Jan