Claritin

Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Heard someone on the discussion board mention using Claritin along with the Neulasta shot? Does this help with side effects? Lowered the dose of the Dex steroid this time to 1 4mg. tab before, morning off, at night and for two consecutive nights. Any ideas on lowering side effects of Neulasta shot?

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I take claritin to ease the
    I take claritin to ease the bone pain that comes with my neupogin shots, I was told it was recommended by the manufacturer and that it works for neulasta also. That info came from the onc pharmacist, but check with your Dr. first.

Hope this helps.

Linda
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I take claritin to ease the
    I take claritin to ease the bone pain that comes with my neupogin shots, I was told it was recommended by the manufacturer and that it works for neulasta also. That info came from the onc pharmacist, but check with your Dr. first.

Hope this helps.

Linda

I have heard this but didnt
    I have heard this but didnt try it. Interestingly enough, I have started taking claritin for allergies and feel less achy????????????????????????
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Jean, I used Extra Strength
    Jean, I used Extra Strength Tylenol and that helped with the bone pain I experienced. I received my Nuelasta shot on Friday and was guaranteed by Sunday afternoon to start feeling the pain in my legs and back. Extra Strength Tylenol did the trick for me. We are all different so please check with your onc prior to taking anything new. Good luck!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Jean, I used Extra Strength
    Jean, I used Extra Strength Tylenol and that helped with the bone pain I experienced. I received my Nuelasta shot on Friday and was guaranteed by Sunday afternoon to start feeling the pain in my legs and back. Extra Strength Tylenol did the trick for me. We are all different so please check with your onc prior to taking anything new. Good luck!

Jean .. worked like a charm for 24 hours .. then I began
    taking advil or something strong for the balance of 3 days .. I had such terrible aches in my legs and lower back .. at time unbearable to sit or lay for any length of time.

As MyTurnNow suggests -- please check with your doctor, before starting any medication - as it may interfer with your chemo cocktail.

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Claritin is probably fine,
    Claritin is probably fine, but avoid claritin-d as you should avoid a deconfestant while on chemo and steroids. The decongestants are hard on the heart. Ask your doc to be sure about any drug.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Claritin is probably fine,
    Claritin is probably fine, but avoid claritin-d as you should avoid a deconfestant while on chemo and steroids. The decongestants are hard on the heart. Ask your doc to be sure about any drug.

C.C. .. You have such 'SOUND' advise ...
    thanking you for sharing it with all of us!

Mrs. Peyton Manning - LOL
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    VickiSam said:

Claritin
    I took Claritin-suggested by my oncologist when I was receiving the neulasta shot which helped with the muscle and bone pain.

I have continued to take it everyday.

Margo
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
    VickiSam said:

Claritin
    Checked with Onc.said no, don't add anything to the mix. My system is very sensitive to drugs and he just reduced the steroid dosage. Took my last steroid pill today, had Neulasta shot on Wednesday. He wants me to be careful now and check in with him for any bad side effects.