Stinky head

Options
Help4Sis
Help4Sis Member Posts: 53
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Haven't seen this one... my sister is complaining that her head is stinky... she hasn't completely shaved her head, is sporting a thinning crewcut after 2 chemo treatments. Says her head is stinky... even right after a shower and after washing.... Anyone experienced this?
Thanks!

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    No .. has she called her Oncologist or asked
    why to do .. with Onc RN? My head was sticky .. due to my many daily 'hot flashes' or vapors.

I washed my scalp daily with T-Gel (neutragena brand), and conditioned. Yikes!

Please have her call Onc ..

Vicki Sam
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    My head wasn't stinky, but
    My head wasn't stinky, but very itchy instead. I also had a few scalp sores as well. When I switched to baby shampoo those went away. It does get a little sticky with the hot flashes.

I have noticed a change in my overall body odor with the chemo...yuck. It's very sickly sweet now.

It's already been said to check with your onc or your onc nurse, so I won't add that advice again.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Help4Sis
    Options
    VickiSam said:

No .. has she called her Oncologist or asked
    why to do .. with Onc RN? My head was sticky .. due to my many daily 'hot flashes' or vapors.

I washed my scalp daily with T-Gel (neutragena brand), and conditioned. Yikes!

Please have her call Onc ..

Vicki Sam

Duh
    I will have her do that. Thanks!!!
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options

My head wasn't stinky, but
    My head wasn't stinky, but very itchy instead. I also had a few scalp sores as well. When I switched to baby shampoo those went away. It does get a little sticky with the hot flashes.

I have noticed a change in my overall body odor with the chemo...yuck. It's very sickly sweet now.

It's already been said to check with your onc or your onc nurse, so I won't add that advice again.

Hugs,

Linda

stinky head
    It does come with hot flashes, but you have to remember your sisters smell is elavated due to the chemo.you really have to have hot flashes really bad i think for your scalp to smell,I can't stand to smell my husband toothpaste when he brushes his teeth,at the place where i get chemo they have a sign posted for people not to wear loud or a lot of perfume or cologne due to the cancer patients smell. so hang in there it'll soon be over. MollyZ
  • Help4Sis
    Options
    mollyz said:

stinky head
    It does come with hot flashes, but you have to remember your sisters smell is elavated due to the chemo.you really have to have hot flashes really bad i think for your scalp to smell,I can't stand to smell my husband toothpaste when he brushes his teeth,at the place where i get chemo they have a sign posted for people not to wear loud or a lot of perfume or cologne due to the cancer patients smell. so hang in there it'll soon be over. MollyZ

Thanks
    for the replies.. she DID call the onc nurse who assured her it was normal. Some people taking chemo have really (extra) stinky urine and stools. She is experiencing some night sweats, but, not too bad (yet).
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Help4Sis said:

Thanks
    for the replies.. she DID call the onc nurse who assured her it was normal. Some people taking chemo have really (extra) stinky urine and stools. She is experiencing some night sweats, but, not too bad (yet).

well not to be TMI but gas
    well not to be TMI but gas was extremely nasty . changed after chemo, but even I couldnt stand it.
    One time the window was open and it smelled like a skunk was right outside, and no one else could smell it. My sense of smell was really sharp which contributed to nausea.
    My head was not stinky, but after I started Tamoxifen, my urine really smells strong.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Well, I can't believe
    Well, I can't believe someone is mentioning this. When I went through chemo my hot flashes went away. It was in the middle of winter in northern Canada in a small town I wasn't particularly fond off. How depressing is that? And my head did smell...or I kept smelling a bad smell that I thought was coming off my head. I would ask my husband to sniff it and he couldn't smell anything. It wasn't even a smell I could identify, I kept thinking it smelled like death....oh it was freaky, never mentioned it to anyone.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I agree
    I agree with what the others have said here. My sense of smell was stronger, I smelled an odd smell over my whole body that no one else noticed. The IV fluid had a particular smell that I began to associate with nausea. Before chemo I never noticed the smell (for example, when I visit people in hospitals) since then I do notice the smell and still feel slightly nauseous, even if I am not the one getting the IV. I also had strong-smelling urine, but drinking lots of water made it go away the second day after chemo. I guess you just have to trust that other people can't smell it, and remember that it is temporary.

seof
  • winsomebulldog
    winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me!!!
    I notice a not so pleasant smell when I have a hot flash. First time it happened I accused my hubby of having stepped in something. LOL I certainly hope I'm the only one who smells it. And while I wouldn't wish it on anyone, i'm also glad to know I'm not imagining it or going nuts. Gosh, I love how we share on this site!

Jenn
  • toxcheep
    toxcheep Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Stinky Head
    Yes, yes, yes!!
    I thought maybe I was crazy, so thank God for your sister's question. I started noticing this toward the end of my first chemo, about the time that I got my "buzz cut". It has continued. At first I thought my sheets and pillowcases were somehow dirty, but they had just been washed. It smelled like a gym locker when I put my head down. When I realized that I still smelled "the smell" when I changed rooms, it became obvious that I was the smelly one. My husband says he doesn't notice any smell, but I definitely do. I end up showering 2 or 3 times a day. It helps to put lotion on which has a stronger scent. Sometimes the stink is different, more medicinal. Haven't mentioned it to my oncologist yet.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    toxcheep said:

Stinky Head
    Yes, yes, yes!!
    I thought maybe I was crazy, so thank God for your sister's question. I started noticing this toward the end of my first chemo, about the time that I got my "buzz cut". It has continued. At first I thought my sheets and pillowcases were somehow dirty, but they had just been washed. It smelled like a gym locker when I put my head down. When I realized that I still smelled "the smell" when I changed rooms, it became obvious that I was the smelly one. My husband says he doesn't notice any smell, but I definitely do. I end up showering 2 or 3 times a day. It helps to put lotion on which has a stronger scent. Sometimes the stink is different, more medicinal. Haven't mentioned it to my oncologist yet.

That was a post from last year...but...
    BUMP UP.

This is a post from last year... I must have missed it myself last year..but wish I had seen it...but I was bald two years ago.....my head DID stink when I was finally bald! Same here, I kept asking my husband if it smelled..he always said no, our daughter also said no...plus they got tired of me sticking my bald head in their faces! lol. I chalked it up to, my head was still producing oils but with no hair to absorb it....but I have to wonder if it's just something only WE can smell...something internal from the chemo...

I am dealing with a recurrence of my bc..had radiation again and on oral chemo for now...but I have said since the first go round, that my underarm that was radiated smells, to me like onions.....weird! Now I make my husband sniff my armpit!!!! Poor guy...he says he doesn't smell anything!

Oh what we go through! Wishing you the best
    Hugs, Nancy