Partial breast radiation (MAMMOSITE) vs. Whole breast radiation

warrrior3
warrrior3 Member Posts: 92
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After meeting with 3 BS regarding my dx of IDC stage 1, grade 1 I chose the first BS I met with right after my dx. One of the othe surgeons I met with discussed Mammosite with me and I instantly became intrigued since it is 5 days vs. 6 weeks of radiation therapy. I live in PA and am terrified of driving in the snow. My lumpectomy and SNB is scheduled for November 11th-next Thursday. My BS says as assuming my BC has not spread to my lymph nodes I am a candidate for Mammosite, although he would prefer if I was 75 y/o not 52 y/o, but qualify because I have grade 1.
Today I met with the radiologist oncologist who admitted she is skeptical by nature. Although she says I am a candidate, if it were her she would opt for the 6 week whole breast radiation since there is 25 years of data compared to 5 years for Mammosite.
Has anyone opted for Mammosite or have any information? I have been taking Xanax since my Dx and every decision seems to make it worse.
I am so thankful I found this wonderful discussion board.

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    I never considered mammosite
    I never considered mammosite rads as there are no long term studies of its effectiveness or any survival or recurrence stats. It is still technically, in the clinical trial stage. That is why many, not sure what percentage, of rads oncologist's frown on it.

Also, you must consider that you have breast tissue from your collar bone, under your arm, under your breast to the middle of your chest. Mammosite does not give rads to those areas.

Good luck to you in your decision. Do what is best for you and what you want.

Hugs, Leeza
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    jnl said:

I never considered mammosite
    I never considered mammosite rads as there are no long term studies of its effectiveness or any survival or recurrence stats. It is still technically, in the clinical trial stage. That is why many, not sure what percentage, of rads oncologist's frown on it.

Also, you must consider that you have breast tissue from your collar bone, under your arm, under your breast to the middle of your chest. Mammosite does not give rads to those areas.

Good luck to you in your decision. Do what is best for you and what you want.

Hugs, Leeza

Warrior, good luck in your decision
    My surgeon also thought I was a candidate for this. However, unfortunately, my lumpectomy did not go as well as we had hoped and I had 10 positive nodes involved. So, all bets were off and I had to do chemo followed by 33 whole breast rad treatment.

Wishing you the best for the easiest and most effective treatment.

Hugs, Renee
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I did not have option
    BUT I have heard for the shortened version of radiation-EVERYONE I meet at cancer center waiting our turns were all doing the same as I did...8 wks (or what ever time) not the option.

I hope it works out which ever you decide~
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138

I did not have option
    BUT I have heard for the shortened version of radiation-EVERYONE I meet at cancer center waiting our turns were all doing the same as I did...8 wks (or what ever time) not the option.

I hope it works out which ever you decide~

Not given option
    Our story sounds similar. I was grade 1 stage 1 no nodes involved. I had lumpectomy then chemo, then 6 wks of rads. I was not given an option on the rads. My Onc. treated me kind of aggressively because of my age. I am 49 but they kept saying "because you are so young" I was not going to argue with them! lol I have to say I would have gone the 6 wk route anyway, as others have said I like the fact that there are more years of study behind it. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    stage2b no nodes involved spread to margins
    I started out with mammosite but the entire cavity was not receiving radiation due to the shape, so they removed it and put in a different catheter, I think it was the Savi. It also did not reach the one area so I also had to have external radiation. I think there are pros and cons to brachy. Its great that the entire breast is not damaged by the radiation and it does not burn the skin. Its great that you don't have to have treatments for 6 weeks.
    However the catheter is bothersome to say the least. You can not shower for a week. You have to wear a special bra 24/7. You will probably have a weekend that you have it in and you are not supposed to change the dressing yourself, or even take off the bra, so it doesn't get cleaned for those 2 days. I was unable to lay on the side it was in, and it hurt so I was unable to sleep. I had to have a sleeping aid prescribed, which did not work.
    I have not been able to compare my experience with anyone so I have no idea what it is like for anyone else.
    Good luck to you, whatever you choose.
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    There is something in between
    My wife is doing a higher dose regimen that is supposedly as effective as the standard protocol, but cuts down the number of treatments to 16 + 5 boosters. Her radiation oncologist was very comfortable with this based on new studies showing near identical recurrence rates.

Bob
  • warrrior3
    warrrior3 Member Posts: 92
    Thanks
    to everyone for your info and feedback.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    warrrior3 said:

Thanks
    to everyone for your info and feedback.

I wasn't given the choice so
    I wasn't given the choice so I had 35 treatments. Like you, I don't drive in snow storms and I canceled my treatment on snow days and holidays. The time was just added on to the end on the treatment so I still had 35 treatments.

My rad.oncol. said he likes the longer rads better because it doesn't make the breast as lumpy, bumpy and disfigured as the shorter versions. Of course he told me this at the end of my treatment and at my last exam with him.