BRCA 2 variant with uncertain significance

Options
warrrior3
warrrior3 Member Posts: 92
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My BRCA results are in. BRCA 1 showed no mutation, YEA! BRCA 2 shows a variant with uncertain significance and I was told there is only 1 other woman in the data base with this variant. My genetic counselor really had no information. I'm taking this as good news that it did not come up positive. Tomorrow I will call my BS and see what he says.
I met with my radiologist oncologist today to discuss the possibility of being a candidate for mammosite and this variant does not come alter the decision. (I plan on starting another thread re mammosite vs. whole breast radiation).
Any information regarding BRCA results are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Brca 2 unknown significance
    Mine came back the same way 2 years ago. At that time, 11 other patients had this variant in the gene. I was told that as the research progresses and more patients are tested, more information would become available. About 18 monthe later, I received a reclassification , as "no mutation" detected.

Cathy
  • warrrior3
    Options
    cathyp said:

Mine came back the same way 2 years ago. At that time, 11 other patients had this variant in the gene. I was told that as the research progresses and more patients are tested, more information would become available. About 18 monthe later, I received a reclassification , as "no mutation" detected.

Cathy

I was also told I would be
    I was also told I would be contacted if more information became available. I assume you did not have to act on your unknown significance either. Thanks for your reply.
  • cathyp
    Options
    cathyp said:

Cathy

While waiting for the
    While waiting for the results, I had surgery for a complex ovarian cyst w/an elevated CA-125 level. We decided to remove one ovary only. Even after the result of unknown significance, the doctors did not recommend removing the other ovary. I had all ready had a DMX 6 months earlier for IDC, stage 1. I am a recurring Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor and the only choice for treatment was the DMX. I knew before the surgery, I could not receive radiation theraphy again. The rads caused my BC. Rads and chemo have left me w/heart problems, so no chemo. I had a TIA last summer, so no Tamoxifen. My prior cancer dx has complicated my BC dx and leaves me w/little options.
    Cathy
  • warrrior3
    Options
    cathyp said:

While waiting for the
    While waiting for the results, I had surgery for a complex ovarian cyst w/an elevated CA-125 level. We decided to remove one ovary only. Even after the result of unknown significance, the doctors did not recommend removing the other ovary. I had all ready had a DMX 6 months earlier for IDC, stage 1. I am a recurring Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor and the only choice for treatment was the DMX. I knew before the surgery, I could not receive radiation theraphy again. The rads caused my BC. Rads and chemo have left me w/heart problems, so no chemo. I had a TIA last summer, so no Tamoxifen. My prior cancer dx has complicated my BC dx and leaves me w/little options.
    Cathy

Cathy
    you have been through so much. I didn't know radiation could cause BC. You will be in my thoughts and prayers along with all of our sisters on this board.
  • cathyp
    Options
    warrrior3 said:

Cathy
    you have been through so much. I didn't know radiation could cause BC. You will be in my thoughts and prayers along with all of our sisters on this board.

thank you
    Yes, many Hodgkins Lymphoma survivors are dx w/BC about 15-20 years out. That is just one of the long term effects of treatment that HD survivors face. Many proactive HD survivors have elected for prophylactic MX's.
    I find it ironic that BC is treated w/rads and that is what caused my BC.
    Thanks for your prayers, the same to you and all our fellow survivors!
    Cathy
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    Options
    cathyp said:

thank you
    Yes, many Hodgkins Lymphoma survivors are dx w/BC about 15-20 years out. That is just one of the long term effects of treatment that HD survivors face. Many proactive HD survivors have elected for prophylactic MX's.
    I find it ironic that BC is treated w/rads and that is what caused my BC.
    Thanks for your prayers, the same to you and all our fellow survivors!
    Cathy

hi
    I have the BRCA 1 mutation also BRCA 2. They told me that BRCA 2 was also undetermined as to what they were looking for. So far no bc
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Warrior
    I had the BRCA testing done because I'm the 5th in my family with bc. My results were negative but the counselor I met with said that there may still be a gene out there that matches mine so I had a tissue sample donated at the time of my bilateral mastectomy. In some small way I hope that research continues to find these mutations to help others in the future. Wishing you the best.
    {{hugs}} Char