Husband Hospitalized pro-time high

Options
linda1120
linda1120 Member Posts: 389
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Jim is in the hospital getting hydration and glucose, as well as plasma and Vitamin K. His
protime for his Cumadin was very high and he was bleeding out. He was coughing up blood and
bleeding from the nose, along with all of the other symptoms. He is resting now and they will
continue to monitor his progress. I am hoping he is better enough to go to Portland, Oregon on Sunday. The train ride is easy and relaxing.

Thank you for all of the good wishes and concern.

God Bless,

Linda

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • unclaw2002
    unclaw2002 Member Posts: 599
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Linda,
    Prayers for both of

Linda,

Prayers for both of you as you deal with these complications - hopefully the treatment will bring the bleeding under control.

Hugs,
    Cindy
  • linda1120
    Options

Linda,
    Prayers for both of

Linda,

Prayers for both of you as you deal with these complications - hopefully the treatment will bring the bleeding under control.

Hugs,
    Cindy

Update on my Jim
    Hi Friends,

Jim is on a roller coaster ride for sure and I am strapped in there right next to him. Jim is
    monitored for his Coumadin with a blood test by his cardiologist monthly. His level had been
    tested only two days before this problem occurred and all was normal. When he was tested yesterday morning it was 9, instead of the normal 3 range. He was given Vitamin K, and plasma to get his blood back to normal range. His blood pressure is very low so they are continuing to give him hydration, glucose, and today due to low red blood counts they gave him blood transfusions. His body spiked a fever with the first bag and they removed it. He was able to take the second bag. They are re-evaluating the situation to see if he needs more tomorrow. He is extremely weak, nauseated, and generally miserable.

William, you are right, Jim is in no shape to travel or have the heart procedure. We have had to cancel it until he is better. I have been pleased with the oncologist in how he has taken charge of Jim's health at this point. He told me he didn't know when Jim would be getting out of the hospital. He has a fever off and on and needs to regain his strength and be able to eat. At this point all Jim does is sleep and that is what he needs to do right now. He finished 27 of his 28 radiation treatments. He has also completed his chemotherapy treatments.

Thank you for all of your prayers. I am thankful for all of you and know so many are holding me up in prayer as well.

God Bless,

Linda
  • linda1120
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

thank you
    Thank you William and Loretta for all of the research. I have watched and read it all and find it very helpful in understanding what Jim is facing. This is a tough road and he definitely needs to build up his strength. It is not without risk, and he also has a pacemaker for his afib. Way too much!

Again, I appreciate you both!

God is holding me up, and I know we are being help up by many prayers,

Linda
  • spensir
    spensir Member Posts: 44
    Options
    linda1120 said:

Update on my Jim
    Hi Friends,

Jim is on a roller coaster ride for sure and I am strapped in there right next to him. Jim is
    monitored for his Coumadin with a blood test by his cardiologist monthly. His level had been
    tested only two days before this problem occurred and all was normal. When he was tested yesterday morning it was 9, instead of the normal 3 range. He was given Vitamin K, and plasma to get his blood back to normal range. His blood pressure is very low so they are continuing to give him hydration, glucose, and today due to low red blood counts they gave him blood transfusions. His body spiked a fever with the first bag and they removed it. He was able to take the second bag. They are re-evaluating the situation to see if he needs more tomorrow. He is extremely weak, nauseated, and generally miserable.

William, you are right, Jim is in no shape to travel or have the heart procedure. We have had to cancel it until he is better. I have been pleased with the oncologist in how he has taken charge of Jim's health at this point. He told me he didn't know when Jim would be getting out of the hospital. He has a fever off and on and needs to regain his strength and be able to eat. At this point all Jim does is sleep and that is what he needs to do right now. He finished 27 of his 28 radiation treatments. He has also completed his chemotherapy treatments.

Thank you for all of your prayers. I am thankful for all of you and know so many are holding me up in prayer as well.

God Bless,

Linda

Prayers for you
    Hello Linda and Jim my heart goes out with special thoughts and prayers. I wish there was something someone could do to make this easier on us. John ( EC stage four October 2009) and I live in the Seattle area. You said you go to Portland. Where do you live? Do you have a support system for you? I am seeing how important that is for the caregiver as the road gets bumpier. Take care Shirley
  • Bobs1wife
    Bobs1wife Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Thinking of you
    Linda, What a time you are having. I'm glad Jim is being watched so carefully now and hopefully he will start to improve very soon. One step at a time. I'm sure it's disappointing to postpone your trip for his heart procedure but there will be a time that is better for it. Take care of yourself, too. Linda
  • linda1120
    Options
    Update on my Jim
    Hi Friends, I wanted to give you an update on Jim. He has now been in the hospital for six days. His platelets and white blood cells continue to go down. He has been receiving Nupogen shots for several days and he is in a special room to eliminate risk of infection. He seems to me to be doing better, but the counts are still low. It is just a waiting game. We are hoping he will be home by Friday.

Unfortunately I came down with a bad head cold and can't see him right now. I am staying down and taking otc meds to knock this. Sugar (our rescued Golden) and I are resting and I am hoping to see Jim tomorrow.

I am impressed with the care Jim has received. The local hospital is great for this situation, but I am anxious to give Jim the care he needs at OHSU in Portland.

Thank you for the prayers and positive thoughts. I know God is in control and Jim is where he needs to be right now.

God Bless all of you,

Linda
  • linda1120
    Options
    Update on my Jim
    Hi Friends, I wanted to give you an update on Jim. He has now been in the hospital for six days. His platelets and white blood cells continue to go down. He has been receiving Nupogen shots for several days and he is in a special room to eliminate risk of infection. He seems to me to be doing better, but the counts are still low. It is just a waiting game. We are hoping he will be home by Friday.

Unfortunately I came down with a bad head cold and can't see him right now. I am staying down and taking otc meds to knock this. Sugar (our rescued Golden) and I are resting and I am hoping to see Jim tomorrow.

I am impressed with the care Jim has received. The local hospital is great for this situation, but I am anxious to give Jim the care he needs at OHSU in Portland.

Thank you for the prayers and positive thoughts. I know God is in control and Jim is where he needs to be right now.

God Bless all of you,

Linda
  • linda1120
    Options
    spensir said:

Prayers for you
    Hello Linda and Jim my heart goes out with special thoughts and prayers. I wish there was something someone could do to make this easier on us. John ( EC stage four October 2009) and I live in the Seattle area. You said you go to Portland. Where do you live? Do you have a support system for you? I am seeing how important that is for the caregiver as the road gets bumpier. Take care Shirley

info for Shirley
    Jim and I live in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. There are no doctors in Spokane that do MIE. We have a wonderful support system in the way of neighbors and friends from church and I have a daughter locally that is being very supportive. Two of the other kids are great to call, and will be coming to visit in the near future.

I hope John is doing well. What hospital do you go to in Seattle? Have you been pleased?

God Bless you,

Linda