Will CA 125 go up due to a hernia?

beth1465
beth1465 Member Posts: 63 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
In July I was declared NED. At that time my CA 125 was 21. My last treatment was in June. In September my CA 125 was 49. Another CT scan was done and it was clear, but did indicate a small hernia. Now my CA 125 is 314. My MD told me in September that it could be up because of the hernia. This time the nurse told me the same thing, haven't spoken to the MD yet. Has this happened to anyone else? I keep thinking there's probably some little cancer blob lurking in there. I flipped when it went up to 49, but this time I have a "whatever" attitude. I refuse to let cancer control my life/emotions anymore than it has. My plans it to do whatever my MD suggests and not worry about it :)

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    That's a tough call. On the
    That's a tough call. On the one hand, anything that's not kosher can cause a CA125 spike. Mine went up 200 points when I had wound issues (my incision had to be re-opened and packed twice a day for several months). On the other, I have a huge hernia (at least as large as a softball) and my CA125 has not spiked. It went from 4.8 to 6.9, then down to 6.4 but a couple of points means nothing, according to my doctor.

My port eroded thru my skin and had to be removed a week before my labs. I just knew my CA 125 would be up, due to the erosion and the surgery. It had actually gone down half a point.

I would only be concerned, I think, if it continues to rise. If I had a steady increase over a period of several months (and I would ask for monthly checks for the next few months), then I would want another scan - maybe a PET or a CT/PET combo.

Don't let them poo-poo your concerns, but don't stress yourself out unnecessarily, either. Not everything is about the Cancer, but then again, it's foolhardy not to take a pattern of rising CA125 results seriously, IMHO (in my humble opinion).

Carlene
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    hernia
    I haven't had this issue but please let us know what happens!
  • beth1465
    beth1465 Member Posts: 63 Member
    nancy591 said:

hernia
    I haven't had this issue but please let us know what happens!

I will be meeting with my
    I will be meeting with my oncologist on Tuesday to discuss what's next. I love and totally trust my MD, he's the best in this area. I know he'll do the right thing for me :)