after drain-fluid buildup-advice please

anaumann
anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my drain removed five weeks after masectomy. Now I am having fluid buildup. Dr removed fluid yesterday(4 days since drain was removed) and today the swelling is almost as bad. Can anyone offer tips about what may help. It is uncomfortable especially with a bra. Should I do more or less excecise? The tightness at my incision is like it was soon after the surgery. I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forward. Also I start chemo thursday and my port on the other side -put in 5 days ago, is still sore. ann

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Ann,
    I don't have any

Ann,
    I don't have any advice, but I can say the same thing happened to my mom. Her breast swelled up & got red a few days after her 1st chemo & her drain removal. They put her on antibiotics & watched the swelling, it went down but when she finished the antibiotics it swelled up again. she ended up in the hospital & they removed 80cc's of fluid, and put another drain back in for 3 days. Since then (2 weeks ago) though it's been removed & has been fine. Hang in there sister, it will get better. Chemo is really hard but do-able -i hope your treatments go by fast & take it easy on you :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Ann,
    I don't have any

Ann,
    I don't have any advice, but I can say the same thing happened to my mom. Her breast swelled up & got red a few days after her 1st chemo & her drain removal. They put her on antibiotics & watched the swelling, it went down but when she finished the antibiotics it swelled up again. she ended up in the hospital & they removed 80cc's of fluid, and put another drain back in for 3 days. Since then (2 weeks ago) though it's been removed & has been fine. Hang in there sister, it will get better. Chemo is really hard but do-able -i hope your treatments go by fast & take it easy on you :)
    *hugs*
    Heather

Ann .. Please contact your PS ... ASAP!
    Please ... please ... insist on being checked out AGAIN. Chemo maybe causing some of your issues ...

You may need to have a drain inserted, again.

So very sorry!

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam