Need some encouragement

suekgaard
suekgaard Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I was diagnosed in May with limited sclc. Since them I have had chemo and radiation, the last radiation was about a month ago. My problem is I still really can't eat anyhting but soup, pudding etc and even those can send me into fits of nausea. The Drs keep saysing it'll go away eventually, frankly I'm tired of waiting and then I get frustrated and upset. I've lost almost 50 lbs but becauseI was a big woman to start with no one seems to be concerned about that.I'm so frusrtated and I'm afraid to eat when I'm not at home because I don't want to end up vomiting in Walmart or the mall or..! I'm back to work 3.5 hours a day and even that is scary when it comes to eating. I can't tell anymore if i feel hungry or nauseous.
Has anyone else gone trough this, will it go away eventualy? How long?
I've about reached my witts end.
Thanks, Sue

Comments

• cards7up
    cards7up Member Posts: 8
    Treatment
    Did you use the magic mouthwash and prilosec when going thru radiation?
    Take care, Judy
  • suekgaard
    cards7up said:

Treatment
    Did you use the magic mouthwash and prilosec when going thru radiation?
    Take care, Judy

Prilosec yes, magic
    Prilosec yes, magic mouthwash no.
  • NKY_Dave
    NKY_Dave Member Posts: 12
    Some Encouragement
    Sue, My wife was diagnosed with limited sclc last November 15th. She finished with her treatment in May of this year with WBR. She had carboplatin/VP16 as her chemo plus 6 weeks of radiation to the lung tumor. She has been in remission since April of this year. She was extremely tired and having a hard time eating that culminated with a return visit to the hospital emergency room right after the 4th of July holiday this year. She was placed on a regimen of prednisone from then until just about a month ago. This drug really increased her appetite as well as her energy level. When she initially was weaned off of the drug, her appetite and energy levels fell again. Now, she is nearly back to normal. Her hair has returned and she appears to be doing very well. She has has had 2 additional scans since the one in April that showed no sign of cancer. These 2 scans have been clear as well. She went through the mental issues you appear to be having as well. I wish I had a magic solution to your problem, but she only got the same responses from her doctors that you received. My whole point is that now she has reached that point the doctors said would eventually come - she feels close to normal as defined by how she felt early last year before her diagnosis (probably a little better than that in fact).

I wish to extend to you some words of encouragement that your life can return to a normalcy that does not include lack of energy or lack of appetite. It takes a while for the treatment for this horrid disease to leave your system since the treatment is nearly as traumatic as the disease itself.

May God Bless You As You Return To Normal!

Dave
  • suekgaard
    NKY_Dave said:

Some Encouragement
    Sue, My wife was diagnosed with limited sclc last November 15th. She finished with her treatment in May of this year with WBR. She had carboplatin/VP16 as her chemo plus 6 weeks of radiation to the lung tumor. She has been in remission since April of this year. She was extremely tired and having a hard time eating that culminated with a return visit to the hospital emergency room right after the 4th of July holiday this year. She was placed on a regimen of prednisone from then until just about a month ago. This drug really increased her appetite as well as her energy level. When she initially was weaned off of the drug, her appetite and energy levels fell again. Now, she is nearly back to normal. Her hair has returned and she appears to be doing very well. She has has had 2 additional scans since the one in April that showed no sign of cancer. These 2 scans have been clear as well. She went through the mental issues you appear to be having as well. I wish I had a magic solution to your problem, but she only got the same responses from her doctors that you received. My whole point is that now she has reached that point the doctors said would eventually come - she feels close to normal as defined by how she felt early last year before her diagnosis (probably a little better than that in fact).

I wish to extend to you some words of encouragement that your life can return to a normalcy that does not include lack of energy or lack of appetite. It takes a while for the treatment for this horrid disease to leave your system since the treatment is nearly as traumatic as the disease itself.

May God Bless You As You Return To Normal!

Dave

thank you
    Dave thank you for the encouragement and the positive news. I try so hard not to let this get to me but there are days when I just want to pull the covers over my head and just sleep til I'm better. I'm hapy that your wife is doing so much better and I'll ask about the prednisone when I see my Dr. this afternoon maybe I just haven't been making a big enough "stink" LOL
  • Miss Bella
    Miss Bella Member Posts: 19
    suekgaard said:

thank you
    Dave thank you for the encouragement and the positive news. I try so hard not to let this get to me but there are days when I just want to pull the covers over my head and just sleep til I'm better. I'm hapy that your wife is doing so much better and I'll ask about the prednisone when I see my Dr. this afternoon maybe I just haven't been making a big enough "stink" LOL

Dear suekgaard,
    Things will

Dear suekgaard,
    Things will get better, one day at a time.
    It is important that you stay hydrated and get some nourishment.
    Hopefully your dr will help you today. Chemo stays in your body for quite some time and the effects of radiation show up after finished treatments. It is not unusual.
    hang in there,
    Miss Bella