E and fish oil/radiaton

midnight10
midnight10 Member Posts: 74
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My brother who is a respiratory therapist says if I'm going to have radiation I should start taking vitamin E and fish oil at double the normal rate to help prevent random damage to the lungs. Has anyone ever heard anything like that?
Thanks

Comments

• Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    With no disrespect...
    ...meant for your brother's expertise... Never, EVER take any sort of nutritional supplement - nor use anything on your skin - without your own radiation oncologist's specific approval. So, please check with your doctor.

With that being said - my own rad onc suggested vitamin E immediately AFTER I had completed rads. And, my med onc just recently instructed me to take fish oil. (Am 7+ years out from diagnosis, 6+ since completion of all invasive treatment.)

Kind regards, Susan
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I would certainly not take
    I would certainly not take double without consulting my oncologist. I remember when we used to give extra vitamin e to premature infants and we later learned that this increased the rate of life-threatening infections.

What is most important, in my opinion, is to eat a healthy, balanced diet (primarily one of fresh veggies and wild caught fish).

There is a web site that I use a lot to help with planning my meals ( see Nutrition Data ). It gives you the inflammation factor of foods as well as the nutritional breakdown. For instance, check out wild salmon (Atlantic or Pacific) and you will see that it has a very high anti-inflammatory factor. Inflammation is associated with both cancer and heart disease, so salmon is a very healthy choice. Another good choice to throw on a salad is chopped red bell peppers--full of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory to boot.

Many people will tell you that you need to take this or that. I ignore them unless I see the science behind what they are saying and I always check with my doc before adding supplements of any kind. In fact, I have a typewritten page of all my meds and vitamins/supplements that I have saved on my computer and I give a copy to each doc.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

I would certainly not take
    I would certainly not take double without consulting my oncologist. I remember when we used to give extra vitamin e to premature infants and we later learned that this increased the rate of life-threatening infections.

What is most important, in my opinion, is to eat a healthy, balanced diet (primarily one of fresh veggies and wild caught fish).

There is a web site that I use a lot to help with planning my meals ( see Nutrition Data ). It gives you the inflammation factor of foods as well as the nutritional breakdown. For instance, check out wild salmon (Atlantic or Pacific) and you will see that it has a very high anti-inflammatory factor. Inflammation is associated with both cancer and heart disease, so salmon is a very healthy choice. Another good choice to throw on a salad is chopped red bell peppers--full of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory to boot.

Many people will tell you that you need to take this or that. I ignore them unless I see the science behind what they are saying and I always check with my doc before adding supplements of any kind. In fact, I have a typewritten page of all my meds and vitamins/supplements that I have saved on my computer and I give a copy to each doc.

My rads oncologist said no
    My rads oncologist said no to any vitamins during rads. He explained it that you do not want your cells being healthy or being nurtured by vitamins as you want them weak so the radiation will kill them, good and bad.

So, ask your rads oncologist about taking any vitamins or supplements during rads.

Good luck,

Leeza
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    jnl said:

My rads oncologist said no
    My rads oncologist said no to any vitamins during rads. He explained it that you do not want your cells being healthy or being nurtured by vitamins as you want them weak so the radiation will kill them, good and bad.

So, ask your rads oncologist about taking any vitamins or supplements during rads.

Good luck,

Leeza

When I took rads, my rads
    When I took rads, my rads oncologist also said no to any vitamins for the same reason that Leeza described. You don't want the cancer cells to get any nutrition and vitamins can do that. I think some on here were told they could take some, but, ask your own radiation oncologist about this and do what he says.

Your rads oncologist should explain to you what you can take orally and what you can use on your skin during rads. If not, be sure and ask him.

One thing that some forget is to not use any deodorant with aluminum in it. Tom's of Maine is a non aluminum deodorant that you can use. I didn't need any as I don't sweat much anyway and the rads killed my sweat glands, so, no sweating now at all under my arm.

And, use the creams that your rads oncologist suggests from day one, if he allows any creams. Even if your skin doesn't show anything, you still need to keep it moist. I used aquaphor, which you can buy in any drug store. I put it on thick every night with my hubby's old shirt as it stains really bad. But, it kept my skin very moist and protected it. My rads oncologist prescribed Biafine for any burn that I might get and it worked great too.

Good luck with rads!

Sue :)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Ritzy said:

When I took rads, my rads oncologist also said no to any vitamins for the same reason that Leeza described. You don't want the cancer cells to get any nutrition and vitamins can do that. I think some on here were told they could take some, but, ask your own radiation oncologist about this and do what he says.

Your rads oncologist should explain to you what you can take orally and what you can use on your skin during rads. If not, be sure and ask him.

One thing that some forget is to not use any deodorant with aluminum in it. Tom's of Maine is a non aluminum deodorant that you can use. I didn't need any as I don't sweat much anyway and the rads killed my sweat glands, so, no sweating now at all under my arm.

And, use the creams that your rads oncologist suggests from day one, if he allows any creams. Even if your skin doesn't show anything, you still need to keep it moist. I used aquaphor, which you can buy in any drug store. I put it on thick every night with my hubby's old shirt as it stains really bad. But, it kept my skin very moist and protected it. My rads oncologist prescribed Biafine for any burn that I might get and it worked great too.

Good luck with rads!

Please please .. listen to the Sisters whom have walked
    before you .. and foremost .. Consult your Oncologist! Every one of us WARRIOR'S are different -- our reaction to medication, chemo therapy and radiation - varies on the individual.

Call your doctor for his advise.

Strength and Courage:

•☆.•*´¨`*••♥ Vicki Sam ♥••*´¨`*•.☆•
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    VickiSam said:

Please please .. listen to the Sisters whom have walked
    before you .. and foremost .. Consult your Oncologist! Every one of us WARRIOR'S are different -- our reaction to medication, chemo therapy and radiation - varies on the individual.

Call your doctor for his advise.

Strength and Courage:

•☆.•*´¨`*••♥ Vicki Sam ♥••*´¨`*•.☆•

Yes, talk to your rads
    Yes, talk to your rads oncologist before you take anything or use anything. That is part of his job to fill you in on what should and should not be taken or used on you.

Wishing you good luck,

Jan
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Yes, talk to your rads
    Yes, talk to your rads oncologist before you take anything or use anything. That is part of his job to fill you in on what should and should not be taken or used on you.

Wishing you good luck,

Jan

I hate to sound like a
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but, you need to ask your radiation oncologist about vitamins and supplements. I didn't take any during rads, as, I was told not too.
  • midnight10
    midnight10 Member Posts: 74
    Kylez said:

I hate to sound like a
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but, you need to ask your radiation oncologist about vitamins and supplements. I didn't take any during rads, as, I was told not too.

Thanks everyone, I'm still a
    Thanks everyone, I'm still a couple of months away from radiation, but will ask my med oncologist on Wed. Scheduled for masectomy (both) and lymph node removal Dec. 14th, starting reconstruction same day...radiation mid/end Jan. Looking forward to spring!!!!!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Thanks everyone, I'm still a couple of months away from radiation, but will ask my med oncologist on Wed. Scheduled for masectomy (both) and lymph node removal Dec. 14th, starting reconstruction same day...radiation mid/end Jan. Looking forward to spring!!!!!

bumping up ....
    Vicki
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Rads oncologist
    You need to ask your radiation oncologist about this midnight. I am sure your oncologist will know too, but, it isn't his expertise.

And, keep looking forward to Spring!

Good luck with your surgery!

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Good luck with your
    Good luck with your mastectomy and lymph node removal midnight10. Praying you heal quickly and that rads go smoothly for you.

Hugs, Jan
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Everything should be asked
    Everything should be asked of your rads oncologist, vitamins, flu shot, creams, everything. And, make sure he checks your skin, personally, at the least, once a week.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Ritzy said:

Good luck with rads!

Consult with your rads
    Consult with your rads oncologist. Good luck on your surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

With no disrespect...
    ...meant for your brother's expertise... Never, EVER take any sort of nutritional supplement - nor use anything on your skin - without your own radiation oncologist's specific approval. So, please check with your doctor.

With that being said - my own rad onc suggested vitamin E immediately AFTER I had completed rads. And, my med onc just recently instructed me to take fish oil. (Am 7+ years out from diagnosis, 6+ since completion of all invasive treatment.)

Kind regards, Susan

I agree with all of the
    I agree with all of the others that posted, do not take anything without asking your rads oncologist, prior to treatment. Good luck!