geting used to new sensations since mastectomy

Suzie-Q-Z
Suzie-Q-Z Member Posts: 40
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
my mastectomy was 2 1/2 wks ago. Thought I was healing really well. After 4 days I was up and around and feeling guilty for asking for help. Haven't done anything strenuouse besides carry a gallon of milk. some of the numbness is finally beginning to wear off. I have been stretching juuuuust beyond my comfort level, not enough to cause damage or pain but enough to help regain my full range eventually. All of a sudden I'm getting these weird shooting nerve pains. I can bend forward or just lift my arm in a natural way and I get a sharp sting from where the center of my breast was ( that sounds weird) around to my back. Is this just because the nerves were severed and they are healing? I liken it to when you hurt your knee lets say so you take pain medicine then you don't feel the pain so you go back to your usual routine even though you aren't ready and possibly agrivate it. I hope I wasn't stressing my muscles without knowing it and this shooting pain is something I've done wrong. sounds strange but I'm becoming aware of pain that I didn't feel before or wasn't able to feel before due to numbness.

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Hi Suzie
    I had similiar pains after my DMX ... .sharp shooting ones down my sides. It would hit me out of nowhere. It is your nerves regenerating.

If you've already lifted a gallon of milk, I'm assuming you didn't have immediate reconstruction? I couldn't lift a gallon of milk for weeks with the reconstruction.

It sounds like you're doing well. Be careful. Don't overdo. What you've described sounds normal to me, but you might want to check with BS if you're concerned.

be well.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Sounds normal to me too...i
    Sounds normal to me too...i had these pains after my mastectomy with reconstruction. I agree with Dawn i couldnt lift a gallon of milk for some time after. But the pains are the nerves. Im still getting those sensations now every once in awhile...like its waking up a little at a time.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Hi Suzie
    I had bilateral mastectomy June 22 and occasionally get shooting twinges. My surgeon said they may last a year or more. Perfectly normal, he said! My incision feels hard and somewhat numb but that's normal too. I try to exercise my arm when I think of it. Good luck.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394

Hi Suzie
    I had similiar pains after my DMX ... .sharp shooting ones down my sides. It would hit me out of nowhere. It is your nerves regenerating.

If you've already lifted a gallon of milk, I'm assuming you didn't have immediate reconstruction? I couldn't lift a gallon of milk for weeks with the reconstruction.

It sounds like you're doing well. Be careful. Don't overdo. What you've described sounds normal to me, but you might want to check with BS if you're concerned.

be well.

Hi Suzie!!
    Sounds like you are doing great to me! I had bilat. mast. w/delayed recon. in June 09. Everything you describe sounds normal to me. I still get strange nerve pain at times. God bless, be gentle on yourself for awhile. Hugs...alison
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    cahjah75 said:

Hi Suzie
    I had bilateral mastectomy June 22 and occasionally get shooting twinges. My surgeon said they may last a year or more. Perfectly normal, he said! My incision feels hard and somewhat numb but that's normal too. I try to exercise my arm when I think of it. Good luck.
    {{hugs}} Char

Hi Suzie,
    I agree with everyone. I had bil. mast. in aug.with no reconstuction and I still get those shooting nerve twinges. Mine feel the same as Char...incisions feel hard and still Just alittle numb under the armpits.
    Hugs:)
    Annette
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Yep, it's normal
    I still get shooting pains now and then and I had reconstruction June 2009. I also had itching, but when I tried to scratch the itch the skin was numb and could not feel it, very strange! It will gradually get better. the sensations will become fewer, less intense, and farther between over time.

seof
  • joyyee1
    joyyee1 Member Posts: 31
    I had a bilateral mastectomy
    I had a bilateral mastectomy and had similar pains. My surgery was in Dec. 2010 and I still have considerable tightness where the scar is.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    joyyee1 said:

I had a bilateral mastectomy
    I had a bilateral mastectomy and had similar pains. My surgery was in Dec. 2010 and I still have considerable tightness where the scar is.

bumping up
    Vicki