Checking In

Jan Trinks
Jan Trinks Member Posts: 477
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Hi all:

Basketcase checking in here! Just got back from visiting my 92 year old aunt in Albany, GA (she's the one who lost her daughter, my cousin, in April) and spending the weekend with my brother (the only brother I've got left) in Thomasville, GA. Had a great time but good to be home. My aunt and uncle from Memphis are coming through tomorrow and take me to lunch on their way to Chatt. where they're going to take my sister and sister-in-law to dinner tomorrow night (I know, sounds like they be doing traveling and eating tomorrow!)

Just felt like I needed to connect with y'all tonight. I know Halloween isn't a big holiday but it is the first one without Charlie and he got such a kick out of the trick or treaters! I just miss him so much! And my brother so soon after Charlie; I tell you it's just too much to bear sometimes. I was talking with my sister last night and she said she was having a hard time with our brother's death. I understand what she means as she was with my sister in law at the hospital and went to Huntsville with her. However, I did ask her what if she were me dealing with not only Charlie's death but our brother's as well. I mean every time I come thru my front door I'm now a little safer because my brother put up the new storm door; everytime I turn on my porch light each night I think "It now works because Richard fixed the switch and installed a new one!; and everytime I turn on the lights in the bathrooms I now have great lighting in there because he took the old horrible hard to deal with ones out and put good easy ones to change out bulbs in both bathrooms and everytime I turn on the light in my kitchen that lighting is so good now because Richard checked it out and because it was so old the ceiling fan and fixture needed to be replaced and he did that for me! I don't mean poor, poor pititful me of course, it's just that both of them passed away in 8 weeks time.

I don't think a wife could have loved a husband anymore than I loved Charlie or a sister love a brother anymore than I did Richard and I am so thankful and grateful for those relationships; it's just that it's so hard being without them.

I am coming right along on the afghan throw I'm crocheting in Carolina Blue to donate to the oncologist's office chemo room for the patients to use and believe it or not it's shaping up right nicely! Well, that's enough of my downloading on y'all tonight. Have a Happy Halloween and God Bless!

Jan

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Jan
    Thanks for sharing with us, God bless and keep you till we who believe all meet again in his paradise home up above
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    Hondo said:

Hi Jan
    Thanks for sharing with us, God bless and keep you till we who believe all meet again in his paradise home up above

Jan
    Good to hear you made your trip back home safely! Loosing a spouse & a brother in such a short time frame is something that I cannot comprehend. The memories of both will alway's be with you & bring comfort as time passes. You have a great support system of family & friend's & all of us here on CSN. The blanket that you are making to donate to your cancer centre is such a lovely gesture. I do know I so appreciated mine when it was given to me at my first chemo appointment. Made me feel special & kept me toasty warm during my treatment's. I hope to volounteer at our centre when I am a tad more stronger. I wish you my best & keep you & all of my CSN friend's in my daily prayer's.
    God Bless
    Roz
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Thoughts and Memories
    Hi Jan, glad you are staying busy and continuing to push forward.

One thing that you have and always will, are the lifetime of thoughts and memories you have. All of those great times with both Charlie and your brother...

Thoughts, prayers and love,
    John n Shelley
  • luv2cut1
    luv2cut1 Member Posts: 288
    Please stay in touch with us
    Hi Jan,

I am new here, but have followed your story somewhat. I cannot imagine how you are handling all you are handling right now. I admire you so much for all you are doing when it seems to me like just simply putting one foot in front of the other would be almost too much to handle. You are an inspiration to many people and are helping some of us deal with the worst fear we can face - losing a loved one.

Please keep in touch with the board. I know everyone wants to know how you are doing and lend support whenever they can.

Myka
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Good Times
    Glad you got to have such a nice time with your aunt and brother. Hope you're enjoying your time with your aunt and uncle - I guess you're with them as I type.

I think it's great that you have reminders of your brother all around your home. I know it's not going to take your ache away, but I would think it does help console you. I also know that Halloween this year was just the first of painful holidays for you. I know Charlie would want you to enjoy the holidays, but also know that it will be a major challenge without him. I hope you can find some pleasure in the upcoming season.

Also, very nice that you're crocheting a throw to donate to the chemo room. That will surely mean a lot to someone. It's good that you're able to help others in your own time of need. Do well, Jan.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Pam M said:

Good Times
    Glad you got to have such a nice time with your aunt and brother. Hope you're enjoying your time with your aunt and uncle - I guess you're with them as I type.

I think it's great that you have reminders of your brother all around your home. I know it's not going to take your ache away, but I would think it does help console you. I also know that Halloween this year was just the first of painful holidays for you. I know Charlie would want you to enjoy the holidays, but also know that it will be a major challenge without him. I hope you can find some pleasure in the upcoming season.

Also, very nice that you're crocheting a throw to donate to the chemo room. That will surely mean a lot to someone. It's good that you're able to help others in your own time of need. Do well, Jan.

Glad you had a safe trip.
    Glad you had a safe trip. Halloween is my favorite holiday. Didn't have much to do this year, but had a fun day.

I received a crocheted blanket that was made by friends and blessed. I think that your Carolina blanket is a great tribute to Charlie and will give so much comfort. I know mine was like a hug from friends everytime I had it on.