Lumpectomy

Options
chriskaput
chriskaput Member Posts: 109
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am having a lumpectomy + sentinel node on Monday, Nov. 8. I just wanted to know what to expect with this surgery and how long you ladies were out of work for. I put in for a week of rest. Should I expect more that a week of discomfort??

thanks for your help!!!

Comments

• crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    not too bad
    I had a lumpectomy but not the sentinal node test. A week off work should be fine. You'll need a close fitting bra to keep things from moving about and tugging on scarline and stitches. I took no pain meds but used the ice packs to keep swelling down for 2 days. Did some slow, careful stretching of the shoulder/armpit area after the first week, but wait until the doc recommends it. I was surprised at how minor the surgery was. I hope it is that way for you too.

You'll hear from those who have had both procedures pretty soon.
    ~~Connie~~
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    crselby said:

not too bad
    I had a lumpectomy but not the sentinal node test. A week off work should be fine. You'll need a close fitting bra to keep things from moving about and tugging on scarline and stitches. I took no pain meds but used the ice packs to keep swelling down for 2 days. Did some slow, careful stretching of the shoulder/armpit area after the first week, but wait until the doc recommends it. I was surprised at how minor the surgery was. I hope it is that way for you too.

You'll hear from those who have had both procedures pretty soon.
    ~~Connie~~

In my opinion, depends on how deep the tumors are
    I had bilateral lumpectomies and sentinel node biopsies last year. The tumor on the left was fairly close to the surface -- the tumors on the right were very deep, however, and my recovery on one side vs. the other was very different.

I was out of work for 3 weeks (I have a fairly sedentary desk job). Some of that was because of the fatigue just from having all that surgery at once, but some of it was the pain on the right side, where the surgeon had to go on a search-and-destroy "expedition." The pain on the left side was much, much less.

If I had it to do over, I would now know to ask my surgeon ahead of time how deep the tumors are, to give myself an idea of how extensive the surgery would be.

The sentinel node biopsies, by the way, caused me very minimal discomfort, and healed much more quickly then the lumpectomy incisions.

Don't know if that helps at all?

Traci
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris, I had the sentinel
    Hi Chris, I had the sentinel node biopsy and the lumpectomy. I had mine last July, Surgery went well, sentinel node was clear. Surgery was at 1:30, I was leaving the hospital at 5pm. BUT, I got there at 8:00 am in the morning and had the needle loc and then the sentinel node done. Sentinel node is a bit painful, but only for a few seconds, the tech nurse was very supportive, held my hand, the Dr. kept appologising,lol. He was a sweetie. You'll do fine!
    Discomfort afterwards? I used an ice pack for a few hours off and on, but only that evening. I was fine within about 2 or 3 days.
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    You should do fine.
    I had both the lumpectory and sentinel node biopsy. I had 7 nodes removed and all were clear. I started at 7 am with all the preop stuff. Surgery was at 10. They sent me home at 1:30. I did take pain pills that day and the next morning but that was it. I was off from work for a week. Make sure you wear something that buttons down the front so you will not have a problem getting it on after the surgery.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    i took 2 wks
    I took two weeks off..work...I am sure I could have gone back sooner...NO pain really...uncomfortable is about it...

wish you luck and quick recovery...
    mine was 2008
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    lanie940 said:

Hi Chris, I had the sentinel
    Hi Chris, I had the sentinel node biopsy and the lumpectomy. I had mine last July, Surgery went well, sentinel node was clear. Surgery was at 1:30, I was leaving the hospital at 5pm. BUT, I got there at 8:00 am in the morning and had the needle loc and then the sentinel node done. Sentinel node is a bit painful, but only for a few seconds, the tech nurse was very supportive, held my hand, the Dr. kept appologising,lol. He was a sweetie. You'll do fine!
    Discomfort afterwards? I used an ice pack for a few hours off and on, but only that evening. I was fine within about 2 or 3 days.

I took pain pills for a
    I took pain pills for a couple of days after my lumpectomy and node removal. I don't work, so, I don't know how long you should be off. Maybe a week? Everyone is different, but, I bet you will be feeling fine after a week. Good luck!

Hugs, Megan
  • renee1822
    renee1822 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    It's not that bad
    I set mine up for a Friday for both the removal of nodes and lumpectomy and I was fine and back to work on Monday. I felt like the worst part was the injections for the sentinode very uncomfortable for me. The first couple of days was the worst for me but still wasn't that bad. Everybody has different reactions, so I would say taking off a week is playing it safe. Also, if they offer you pills for pain take the pills.
    Darlene
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Chris
    I didn't have a lumpectomy (I had bilateral mastectomy). A week will hopefully be enough to rest. I wish you luck on your surgery. Thursday I will be thinking about you.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • kya911
    kya911 Member Posts: 157
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Chris
    I didn't have a lumpectomy (I had bilateral mastectomy). A week will hopefully be enough to rest. I wish you luck on your surgery. Thursday I will be thinking about you.
    {{hugs}} Char

I needed 2 weeks after my
    I needed 2 weeks after my Lumpectomy. I have a lot of lifting in my job. Also my age (63)most likely had a lot to do with it.
  • Stace_aka_Pollyanna
    Options
    kya911 said:

I needed 2 weeks after my
    I needed 2 weeks after my Lumpectomy. I have a lot of lifting in my job. Also my age (63)most likely had a lot to do with it.

I had same as you Chris...
    Just September 3 I went through lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy as well. Recovery is not too bad and a week from work will be more than enough :)

The radiology party for the sentinel node set up is a bit uncomfortable but they will give you a little dose of happy-land to get you through it. From there, for me, the rest was quite "vague" if ya know what I mean!

The best advice I've every received for such a recovery (and it may sound extreme but...) take those darn pain meds every FOUR hours as directed for the first 24-48 hours. SLEEP and drink your water plus stool softeners throughout those first two days. It will really get you through the worst of it.

All in all in the days following, my arm, armpit and right down to my fingertips were far more bothersome than the breast incision. I had a "nervy" tinging going on that was so annoying. So much so that I almost forgot the whole point was for the surgeon to get my "jelly belly" (we named my tumor because of its relative size ha)

You'll do just great, Chris -- remember they prescribe those pills to be taken... don't do any good in the bottle :) You're welcome to send PMs to me throughout your recovery if you have questions. It's still so fresh and I just had to go back in for my re-excision this past Thursday. That too is pretty easy to slide though :)

Keep your groove on, Hang in there and ASK ASK ASK if you have any doubts!

Blessings and Hugs,
    Stace
  • Stace_aka_Pollyanna
    Options

I had same as you Chris...
    Just September 3 I went through lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy as well. Recovery is not too bad and a week from work will be more than enough :)

The radiology party for the sentinel node set up is a bit uncomfortable but they will give you a little dose of happy-land to get you through it. From there, for me, the rest was quite "vague" if ya know what I mean!

The best advice I've every received for such a recovery (and it may sound extreme but...) take those darn pain meds every FOUR hours as directed for the first 24-48 hours. SLEEP and drink your water plus stool softeners throughout those first two days. It will really get you through the worst of it.

All in all in the days following, my arm, armpit and right down to my fingertips were far more bothersome than the breast incision. I had a "nervy" tinging going on that was so annoying. So much so that I almost forgot the whole point was for the surgeon to get my "jelly belly" (we named my tumor because of its relative size ha)

You'll do just great, Chris -- remember they prescribe those pills to be taken... don't do any good in the bottle :) You're welcome to send PMs to me throughout your recovery if you have questions. It's still so fresh and I just had to go back in for my re-excision this past Thursday. That too is pretty easy to slide though :)

Keep your groove on, Hang in there and ASK ASK ASK if you have any doubts!

Blessings and Hugs,
    Stace

forgot...
    one more thing... if they don't give you one, find an extra wide (6-8 inches) ace bandage to wrap around you on the outside of your bra. It really helps immobilization. This past week my new surgeons at UofM sent me home with a darling "tube top" in pink flowers with huge velcro down the front... LIFESAVER!! Keeps your girls from giggling :)
  • chriskaput
    chriskaput Member Posts: 109
    Options

forgot...
    one more thing... if they don't give you one, find an extra wide (6-8 inches) ace bandage to wrap around you on the outside of your bra. It really helps immobilization. This past week my new surgeons at UofM sent me home with a darling "tube top" in pink flowers with huge velcro down the front... LIFESAVER!! Keeps your girls from giggling :)

thanks!
    thanks for the advice! I will let you know how things go!
  • shelbyhome
    shelbyhome Member Posts: 145
    Options

forgot...

They gave me one of those
    They gave me one of those for my 2 surgeries and what a wonderful thing to wear, I even wore it after they said that I didn't have to just because it felt good! I have a pink one and a blue one.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Bumping cuz of spammer

Bumping cuz of spammer