New lung cancer patient/introduction

Options
Slinking
Slinking Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi all,
My name is Scott and I've just been diagnosed with lung cancer. I have one large tumor center chest, just above the heart and in between the lung. A smaller tumor is in the right chest.

I am a 55 yr old male who smoked for over 35 years.

I have wonderful doctors who communicate about me with each other and actually call me at home to keep me informed. They will start chemo this week and really try to get the center mass reduced to where it can be radiated safely. They can hit it pretty agressively they say, as that larger tumor is not in an organ, but rather between the lungs.

I welcome any/all comments. I am staying positive and really focusing on what I need to do. The little things in life are now many, it amazing the perspective I have now compared to two or three weeks ago.

My wife is my strength. God Bless her. I can't imagine doing any of this without her. She is determined to feed me back to health and, for now, I am letting her.

Scott

Comments

• NayPaul
    NayPaul Member Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place!
    Scott, you are in the right place. My 40 yr old wife was diagnosed with stage 4 NSCLC in september. I have learned much from this site and read many things that supports me.

The biggest, is that this is NOT a death sentence. In fact, on Thursday completed the second of six rounds(once every three weeks) of carboplatin, taxol, avastin AND as part of a phase three study, herbitux. Addisionally, she receives the herbitux weekly.

For her, the results, so far have been nothing short of miraculous. Sure she has the bone pain, tiredness for a few days, and had a HORRIBLE rash on her face, scalp, and torso from the herbitux, but those are subsiding. MORE IMPORTANTLY are her cancer symptoms... Her only sypmtoms were wheeziness and a cough. The cough is completely gone, she no longer takes ANY prescription cough meds, or over the counter meds either. She is taking only pseudophed for allergies. She can take deep breaths and I don't hear any wheezing although she said she can feel it slightly.

I know not everyone is as lucky, but I wanted to share so that people understand there is real hope!

We too noticed that after the intial shock and after we got many appointments out of the way... about 3-5 weeks in, that our attitude with life and our children (ages 11,9,7,5) are very positive.

You are also smart to let others help. I usually am not that type of person, but decided it is my wife that has cancer, not me, so we have been accepting of help from friends and family. Help has come in the form of food, helping with kids, a couple of fundraisers (we are self-employed with high deductible insurance). This has helped us focus on treatment, being together with our kids, taking some vacations, and doing some "bucket list" type of things.

Keeps us informed of your treatments, progress, and mental attitude. I love learning from what others are going through.
  • cards7up
    cards7up Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Welcome!
    Hi Scott, I am stage IIIA NSCLC adenocarcinoma. I have two lesions, one each in upper and lower right lobe. I had stereotactic radiation first and am now doing chemo of carbo/alimta. I have had only 1 treatment so far and will hopefully have my 2nd next week.
    We can all get thru this. I would ask your doctors about the stereotactic, if it's feasible for you over traditional. It takes alot less radiation and time and is targeted. Let us know how you make out. Take care, Judy
  • Dapsterd
    Dapsterd Member Posts: 291
    Options
    New--Welcome
    Welcome!!
    Dx Stage IIIb Adenocarcinoma nsclc, large tumor right upper lobe, central lymph nodes effected.

The hardest part of this cancer treatment, I found, is to give up smoking completely. For me, my busy mind and body are of addictive nature, I gave up alcohol 5+ yrs ago, but even with lung cancer, I find myself having a few cigarettes everyday.But I am working on it and conscious of it daily, I am trying all the medical remedies out there, now I must turn inside to my spirit and to my creator for the rest of my help.
    I have just completed 1st line treatment of 35 radiations and 22 chemos, I was dx June 1st, 2010. I am waiting for my Ct/pet scan this Nov.22---then we will see.

Good news as of 2 mo. ago, lymph nodes were stable and main tumor went down 60+%, but doc beefed-up the chemo the last 6 remaining weekly rounds about 20% (carboplatin and taxol)...so who knows what this scan will show....wait and see game now.

Best Wishes to You and your family.....Dave, 47 years old
  • 1976hdn
    1976hdn Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Lung Cancer
    Hello Scott & everyone else here, stay strong and keep a positive head. My dad (62 non smoker)was told Mid September that he had stage 4 small cell. He has many tumors, one bigger then a softball. The cancer was found in his blood, and there was a tumor in the brain, the big concern was all the fluid around the heart way to much and draining it was not gonna be option as well as no hopes for operation on the large tumor because it was attached to the the lung. Things were not looking good, 6-12 months with treatment. He started chemo, 3 days on then 2 weeks off and then 3 days on again. He went last week for PET scan, MRI and Brain scan and got the results back. GREAT NEWS!! The cancer is shrinking!!! The brain tumor is almost gone, the large mass has shrunk about 70% and the fluid around the heart is normal!!!!!! Some of the smaller tumors don't appear to be there anymore. He is way above the "curve" so to speak and is doing excellent, the doctors are amazed at how good his body is reacting to the chemo. So no matter what they tell you stay positive and don't let cancer beat you, you beat it!

Good Luck
  • Notpinkenough
    Notpinkenough Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Welcome Scott. I am new
    Welcome Scott. I am new too. So happy to hear you have a good support system. We can get through this together.

Chris