Hair Loss

Options
Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My hair is coming out slowly. Noticed it last night when brushing my hair. It is not in clumps it is softly coming out in small deposits on my hairbrush. Does having the head "buzzed" make a difference in the way it grows back in? Is this something to do now or wait to it comes out heavier?

Comments

• dee1962
    dee1962 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Mine was doing the same but
    Mine was doing the same but it started getting messy in the shower so i just buzzed it last week and i got to tell you wasn't that bad.....just for the peach fuzz on your head i use dove soap everything else is to harsh.....Dee
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Hi Jean -
    I'm sorry you're

Hi Jean -
    I'm sorry you're going thru this. I know we expect hair loss as a side effect from chemo but it still is such a shock & a hard thing to go through. When mine started coming out, at first it was small wisps when I'd tug on them. My scalp got sore & sensitive. About 4 or 5 days later it started just coming out really bad, clogging my shower drain, shedding everywhere I went, so we buzzed it off. I don't think buzzing your hair off will have any effect on how it grows back in. It was just easier for me to handle having a buzz cut than to wait for it all to fall out on it's own, and when it really was falling out it just looked terrible.
    And actually -I probably could have gotten away with having my husband leave my hair a little bit longer when he buzzed it - I never lost it all. I had a stubbly head all through chemo. My hair actually started growing again when i was done with the AC & has kept growing (trust me -i can see the slightest amount of growth -i check it several times a day) -it's kept growing through the 2 Taxotere infusions.
    Best of luck & good health to you Jean-for me losing my hair was harder than losing & replacing my boobs. It was pretty emotional for my family -at first my 9 yr old daughter had quite a hard time with it -mommy looked sick now, and she felt so bad for me. Never embarrased of me though -when she'd have her friends or cousins over she'd ask me if I would show them my new "hairstyle".
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Do It!
    Jean, My suggestion...get the shaver out and go for it. It's going to happen anyway. You won't have all that hair in the drains and the slow torture of seeing it fall gradually. Washing your head is a breeze when you are bald. I wear scarfs and baseball caps but am thinking about a wig because it is going to take so long to grow in and after chemo I want to get back to normal asap.
    Hugs:)
    Annette
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Do It!
    Jean, My suggestion...get the shaver out and go for it. It's going to happen anyway. You won't have all that hair in the drains and the slow torture of seeing it fall gradually. Washing your head is a breeze when you are bald. I wear scarfs and baseball caps but am thinking about a wig because it is going to take so long to grow in and after chemo I want to get back to normal asap.
    Annette

Agree with the previously postings .. best to shave your
    scalp .. have yourself a good cry .. and try on a few scarves and hats! It is truly a difficult situation to go thru, and nothing I say will help.

Tips ..condition your scalp, and wear something on your head at nights .. cuz, it's gets cold. Use T-Gel if you get a few infected follices .. Neutragena is a good brand.

Keep warm and safe ..

•☆.•*´¨`*••♥ Vicki Sam ♥••*´¨`*•.☆•
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    thats how mine did it too.
    thats how mine did it too. I could run my hair through my hands and pull out strands an strands. Finally have in and buzzed it. Grew in better and more even I think and made it more managable, kinda knew what to expect.
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
    Options
    dee1962 said:

Mine was doing the same but
    Mine was doing the same but it started getting messy in the shower so i just buzzed it last week and i got to tell you wasn't that bad.....just for the peach fuzz on your head i use dove soap everything else is to harsh.....Dee

The Buzz
    Thanks everyone for your in-put.

The Buzz it is!! Tomorrow will call to make that appointment. Thinking of getting a facial while I am there to lift my spirits. Anyone every have a problem with facials?
    My eyebrows are still all right, do they come off later?
  • dee1962
    dee1962 Member Posts: 99
    Options

Do It!
    Annette

i wear scarfs and hats but
    i wear scarfs and hats but this time around a got a wig and let me tell you it looks so much like my real hair....so far i still have my eyebrows and lashes i don't know for how long though......good luck and keep your head up high...Dee
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

thats how mine did it too.
    thats how mine did it too. I could run my hair through my hands and pull out strands an strands. Finally have in and buzzed it. Grew in better and more even I think and made it more managable, kinda knew what to expect.

bumping up
    Vicki