post mastectomy, drain out, still filling up

Options
diannagrayer
diannagrayer Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Anybody know how much volume of fluid is okay, and when it's too much and needs to be drained?

Comments

• Suzie-Q-Z
    Suzie-Q-Z Member Posts: 40
    Options
    post mastectomy drain
    I had my mastectomy of the right breast on the 14th of Oct. so not quite 2 1/2 weeks out. I had an expander placed and had my drain taken out 4 days after surgery when it had been -10 ml for two days. When I saw the nurse a week later to re-drain, (very easy simple procedure since it was still numb from surgery). She told me it would probably continue to fill up gradually, but would re-absorb eventually or when the expander was filled up the empty space under my skin which currently allows for fluid to collect would be taken up with the expander leaving no space for fluid to build up. She told me to stay wraped snugly with an ace bandage but it didn't help so I gave it up today. If you decide to keep up with the bandage someone told me tu put a t-shirt under it to help keep it from sliding down. use a small T so it wrinkles less.
  • Suzie-Q-Z said:

post mastectomy drain
    I had my mastectomy of the right breast on the 14th of Oct. so not quite 2 1/2 weeks out. I had an expander placed and had my drain taken out 4 days after surgery when it had been -10 ml for two days. When I saw the nurse a week later to re-drain, (very easy simple procedure since it was still numb from surgery). She told me it would probably continue to fill up gradually, but would re-absorb eventually or when the expander was filled up the empty space under my skin which currently allows for fluid to collect would be taken up with the expander leaving no space for fluid to build up. She told me to stay wraped snugly with an ace bandage but it didn't help so I gave it up today. If you decide to keep up with the bandage someone told me tu put a t-shirt under it to help keep it from sliding down. use a small T so it wrinkles less.

Jackson Pratt
    I was told to keep a log of how much I drained daily. As the amounts decreased it was removed by my surgeon about a week after surgery. I bleed through the bandages the first night, but was fine after that. If you are pushing the bulb into itself to create the suction, it will look like a lot more fluid than it really is.

I wore an oversized zip-up hoodie, it was easy to get on and off after surgery, and pinned the bulb up where my right breast had been.

Hope this was helpful.
  • RooDee
    RooDee Member Posts: 21
    Options
    drains
    I had four drains, 2 was removed after the 1st week, 3rd one was removed the following monday and the fourth one was removed after 2 weeks.I've gone to my PS twice already for him to aspirate the fluid and I'm going back again tomorrow. It is very hard to get any sleep when you have that sore squishy feeling on your back. You might wanna call your surgeon.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Dr. Knows best
    If you are uncomfortable or worried, call your Dr. My surgeon put drains in during surgery, so I have no idea how much is too much without the drains. I know drains can make a huge difference in helping the body heal itself if large amounts of tissue are removed, but you Dr. is the best person to talk to about your specific case.

Best wishes, seof