So, turns out I'm moderately depressed. Imagine that!

Options
sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My big day - GYN, mammo & PCP. Very excited about the all clear on my 1 yr anniversary. I was so sure it wouldn't be. But at the PCP visit, I expressed my concern that - yikes - I've got too much on my plate.

I've posted previously that Dad is end stage Lung cancer and Mom is end stage COPD. My sister is primary care giver and I am the 'relief'. Drive up - 50 miles - Saturday mornings and come home Sunday evenings. Work full time. Fret over everything - and I do mean everything. Snap at my hubby, who works evenings, so we see each other about 45 minutes daily and a few hours on Sunday.

He prescribed Effexor. I've seen that med on this board many times. A few weeks ago, after a particulary bad day, an ER doc prescribed Ativan. But I only took it a few times. Didn't think it was what I needed.

How about you? I know many prefer to do it without the aid of medication, me too, usually. But for goodness sakes, not if it's gonna cause me to stroke out, have a heart attack or just blow a gasket.

Sue

Comments

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Sue.......
    There is no shame in accepting the help of medications, and the relief that they bring.
    I personally take an anti-depressent and an anti-anxiety. And I still have issues with sleeping. On a good night, I get 3-4 hours, with the help of meds.

I too, am a "worrier". Always have been, so I know where you are coming from.

I have always said that therapy should be a routine part of cancer treatment. Right there, somewhere between surgery and chemo or rads.

Don't ever let anyone put you down for taking help. Anyone who considers you weak because of it, is ignorant of what you are going through/been through.
    You are, in fact, not weak, but smart.

Hugs,

CR
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    Gosh, I can relate!
    Ativan works well fro me. When I'm feeling overwhelmed, completely, ativan is a lifesaver. It helps me get a good nights sleep and takes the edge off just enough. I haven't had much luck with antidepressants and have considered medical marijuana,lol!! have a great weekend...alison
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Sue
    I was dx with clinical depression by my gyn while going through menopause 10 years ago. I tried Effexor but it didn't seem to help. I've been seeing a therapist for the past 3 years and she has continued me on Wellbutrin. I did try Ativan but that is more for anxiety. Right now I'm not on anything. The thing to know is they are not addictive and what works for one is not right for another. Wish you well on your cancerversary. You do have a lot on your plate.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Gosh, I can relate!
    Ativan works well fro me. When I'm feeling overwhelmed, completely, ativan is a lifesaver. It helps me get a good nights sleep and takes the edge off just enough. I haven't had much luck with antidepressants and have considered medical marijuana,lol!! have a great weekend...alison

Sue, are you on Tomoxefin?
    Sue, are you on Tomoxefin? My oncol. said there are only 2 meds tomoxefin patients can go on. One is Effexor and I can't remember the other one. Memory is gone. I'm on the effexor for hot flashes but it's classified as an antidepressant. It has really helped with my mood swings!

You're handling a boat load now so if meds will help you through it--go for it. It doesn't have to be a forever thing.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Sue
    I was dx with clinical depression by my gyn while going through menopause 10 years ago. I tried Effexor but it didn't seem to help. I've been seeing a therapist for the past 3 years and she has continued me on Wellbutrin. I did try Ativan but that is more for anxiety. Right now I'm not on anything. The thing to know is they are not addictive and what works for one is not right for another. Wish you well on your cancerversary. You do have a lot on your plate.
    {{hugs}} Char

Sue--I'm not a huge fan of pharmaceuticals
    BUT, I figure after taking TAC chemo treatments, there can't be much worst! Seriously, when I was diagnosed in Nov. '09, I was a wreck. I was prescribed Zoloft and have been on it ever since. It doesn't make me loopy or dopey--just keeps me even. I still laugh, cry and everything in between but I seem to be able to cope easier. Post-treatment, I started seeing a psychologist to deal with the mental fallout of this beastly disease. Her thing is--okay, you've done the physical work, now lets try to heal you emotionally. I'm getting a lot of benefit from seeing her.

Good luck to you.

Hugs, Renee
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    missrenee said:

Sue--I'm not a huge fan of pharmaceuticals
    BUT, I figure after taking TAC chemo treatments, there can't be much worst! Seriously, when I was diagnosed in Nov. '09, I was a wreck. I was prescribed Zoloft and have been on it ever since. It doesn't make me loopy or dopey--just keeps me even. I still laugh, cry and everything in between but I seem to be able to cope easier. Post-treatment, I started seeing a psychologist to deal with the mental fallout of this beastly disease. Her thing is--okay, you've done the physical work, now lets try to heal you emotionally. I'm getting a lot of benefit from seeing her.

Good luck to you.

Hugs, Renee

Xanax hAs
    been my saving "grace". Still take a half each night to shut my brain down. otherwise I'm dying every night.....
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    I didn't think
    I was suffering from depression but when I went to see my PCP she told me that was what was wrong. She said with all I had gone through with my treatment and then the fact that my niece passed away from cancer just before I finished my rads it pushed me over the edge.I am now taking Lexapro it is a big help. I am only taking 5mg a day but it makes a huge difference for me. Don't rule out medication if it is what you need.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I believe it is much worse
    I believe it is much worse to not accept help and to make everyone else around you suffer. My mother-in-law (and I say this lovingly) is the crabbiest, most depressed human being I have ever met. Her entire family would kill to have her take something to smooth her way, and our way ;-) When we talk to her about it, she insists that she won't take a "mental" drug. It is like this stupid, generational, stoic thing. I hate meds too, but sometimes, enough is enough.
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    What depression?
    I am in your corner. Just a little depression over all the stress? Oncologist put me on Paxil about 10 years ago and I am still on it. I have a full life too but not as full as yours. As all doc's say, "You need to take some time for yourself!" I have been closing myself off from all and just taking a hot bath. Just the half hour or so has been helping. Talk with your primary care doc for a little help till your busy life settles down.

Kathryn
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    alot going on!
    Sue,
    You certainly have alot going on in your life. You do need help to get through this trying time.
    At times i take Lorazapam to help me sleep especially after chemo. It does help alot. The other night I went to bed at 7pm and I slept like a log for 11 hours. I think Lorazapam is the generic for Altivan.
    I'm happy you received good report on all your tests.
    Annette
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options

alot going on!
    Sue,
    You certainly have alot going on in your life. You do need help to get through this trying time.
    At times i take Lorazapam to help me sleep especially after chemo. It does help alot. The other night I went to bed at 7pm and I slept like a log for 11 hours. I think Lorazapam is the generic for Altivan.
    I'm happy you received good report on all your tests.
    Annette

If you need meds take them
    My doc gave me Lorazapam omg that pill made me have anxiety and I was speeding. I was cleaning house like a mad woman. Never took another one. I gave them to my sister who takes them and swears they relax her and helps her sleep.
  • warrrior3
    warrrior3 Member Posts: 92
    Options

If you need meds take them
    My doc gave me Lorazapam omg that pill made me have anxiety and I was speeding. I was cleaning house like a mad woman. Never took another one. I gave them to my sister who takes them and swears they relax her and helps her sleep.

Sue
    Five minutes after I received my BC diagnosis I was on the telephone calling my gyno for a prescription for Xanax because I couldn't stop shaking. It was the first time in my life I needed a pill to help me cope but I knew I needed it. Over the last 12 days I've taken 10 pills. Just knowing I have them helps me have peace of mind. I also rely on Lunesta to help me sleep.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    All that and you're only
    All that and you're only moderately depressed?? Huge Kudos to you! My experience is that the hormonal therapy we ER+'s are to be on for 5yrs make me very depressed. I've reluctantly tried 3 different anti-depressants with no success and as a matter of fact the Effexor was the worse to go off. The withdrawal se were endless. So far I am holding my own as long as nothing triggers it. It takes a lot of self-talk and that can be a lot of work. Since you're on Arimidex you're free and clear to take whatever anti-depressant helps whereas the Tamoxifen users are a little more limited. Do what you need to do for you to get through this tough time in your life. You don't have to stay on them forever. My best to you and I hope you find something that works for you.
    hugs
    jan