Sister Still in Hospice Care

Options
skipper85
skipper85 Member Posts: 229
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone!

I know I haven't been on the boards in a while. October freaks me out and I've had some family issues to deal with. I just couldn't face the boards for a while. Some of you may know what I mean and for others I hope you understand.

My sister is at home now under hospice care. A nurse and then an aide come in once a day but her husband and oldest daughter are the primary caregivers for her. It's pretty rough on them. They are at their breaking point. They are having a physical therapist in to get her to use a walker but I can't see that happening. Even if she could eventually use the walker her mind is pretty much gone (I don't know if it's the disease or the morphine). So I don't know if that would be a safe thing for her. It's a sad situation. She's been a valiant warrior for over 16 years. Please say a prayer for her and her family.

Update on my husband: His lung cancer surgery (lobectomy) has been postponed until Nov. 18th. It was supposed to be Monday - more waiting. I just want to know what stage his cancer is and if any lymph nodes are involved. I don't think he'll do the chemo if it's necessary. He only did it with the throat cancer because he wouldn't lose his hair. Talk about vanity - he doesn't have that much to begin with.

I see the breast surgeon on Nov. 9th to see if my mammogram did not detect a problem in my right breast. My PC doc thought one of my nipples looked like it was retracting. I don't know. Maybe it's just old age. I can't compare it to the other side because I had surgery there - so it will never match. More waiting. At least at the breast surgeon I can get the ultrasound and a biopsy right there - the same day (I hope) should I need one. Don't want an MRI - too closed in and I have a high deductible on my insurance. I'd have to pay out of pocket and I just don't have it.

So things are about the same for right now. Just want the waiting to be over with and for my sister to finally find peace.

Thanks for all your good wishes and prayers. They have really helped me to get through this tough time.

Skipper85

Comments

• elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    Thank you for taking the
    Thank you for taking the time to update us on everyone. Sounds like you have alot on your plate right now. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    elm3544 said:

Thank you for taking the
    Thank you for taking the time to update us on everyone. Sounds like you have alot on your plate right now. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

shes a fighter for sure!

shes a fighter for sure!
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Your sister is a very strong
    Your sister is a very strong lady. Your right it is so sad. I hope her husband and daughter have some one to talk to. They are carrying a very heavy load.
    Why did they reschedule your husbands surgery? How is he feeling. I hope he will reconsider chemo if the Dr suggest it. It could save his life. I hope you get good news on the 9th. You sure are having a hard time right now. I know it isn't much but we are all here for you. I truly wish I could make everyone's hardships and worries go away. Take care of yourself. I will pray for you and your family. All the best Kay
  • skipper85
    Options

Your sister is a very strong
    Your sister is a very strong lady. Your right it is so sad. I hope her husband and daughter have some one to talk to. They are carrying a very heavy load.
    Why did they reschedule your husbands surgery? How is he feeling. I hope he will reconsider chemo if the Dr suggest it. It could save his life. I hope you get good news on the 9th. You sure are having a hard time right now. I know it isn't much but we are all here for you. I truly wish I could make everyone's hardships and worries go away. Take care of yourself. I will pray for you and your family. All the best Kay

Your Sister is very strong

Fortunately my sister and her family are very involved in their church so they have had help from many members. I think it's emotional stress that's getting to them.

Our family has been blessed in many ways. These problems are just a bump in the road. We can make it through and be stronger for it.

My husband was set to have surgery on Monday. He went for pre-op and when we got home the surgeon's office called and said the doctor had to be out of state for 10 days and he didn't want to operate and leave in case there were complications. The nurse said he's very hands on with his patients. He's got great credentials and great recommendations but I have to think he knew he was going to be out of town when he scheduled my husband's surgery. It's for the bset though. My husband needs to gain back some weight. On the other hand my son is coming down this weekend and staying until Wednesday to be with us for moral support during the surgery. He can't change his work schedule or his wife's now (she needs to be home for the kids - she works strange hours at the hospital) and my daughter had given him her travel points for the ticket. He paid extra to get it last minute so we would be sure it wasn't postponed - he had just gotten the tickets the day before and it cost $150 to change them if he could even change his work schedule. He's coming in tomorrow and we'll be happy to see him. I think it's even a better morale booster to have him here while he can spend some quality time with his Dad and me. You just have to go with the flow and be on good meds :-)

Hope everything is going well with you Kay. Every time I see your picture holding the pooch it reminds me how important my dog Jessie is to me. She is the light of my life (even before the grandkids :0) She just brightens my day every day.

((HUGS))

Skipper85
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    skipper85 said:

Your Sister is very strong

Fortunately my sister and her family are very involved in their church so they have had help from many members. I think it's emotional stress that's getting to them.

Our family has been blessed in many ways. These problems are just a bump in the road. We can make it through and be stronger for it.

My husband was set to have surgery on Monday. He went for pre-op and when we got home the surgeon's office called and said the doctor had to be out of state for 10 days and he didn't want to operate and leave in case there were complications. The nurse said he's very hands on with his patients. He's got great credentials and great recommendations but I have to think he knew he was going to be out of town when he scheduled my husband's surgery. It's for the bset though. My husband needs to gain back some weight. On the other hand my son is coming down this weekend and staying until Wednesday to be with us for moral support during the surgery. He can't change his work schedule or his wife's now (she needs to be home for the kids - she works strange hours at the hospital) and my daughter had given him her travel points for the ticket. He paid extra to get it last minute so we would be sure it wasn't postponed - he had just gotten the tickets the day before and it cost $150 to change them if he could even change his work schedule. He's coming in tomorrow and we'll be happy to see him. I think it's even a better morale booster to have him here while he can spend some quality time with his Dad and me. You just have to go with the flow and be on good meds :-)

Hope everything is going well with you Kay. Every time I see your picture holding the pooch it reminds me how important my dog Jessie is to me. She is the light of my life (even before the grandkids :0) She just brightens my day every day.

((HUGS))

Skipper85

Yes, Skipper85 .. thank you so much for providing us
    with an update on yourself, sister and husband. Gee, sounds like your 'cup' runneth over! I am so sorry for the condition your sister is current in .. hoping and praying for a miracle. Good luck to your husband on 18th - strength for the two of you.

I don't want to jump on the band wagon about your dog, Jessie .. but I'm right there with you .. no need to talk, just being with our 4 legged family makes life a little easier to handle. Get peace and recharge your batteries whenever you find a few minutes!

Keeping you all in good thoughts and prayers.

Vicki Sam
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Skipper,
    I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. But, that can't stop me from thinking ang wishing and hoping and praying for you, your hubby and sister.

Big hugs (with those gentle pats on the back)

Sue
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Skipper,
    I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. But, that can't stop me from thinking ang wishing and hoping and praying for you, your hubby and sister.

Sue

skipper
    God bless you and your family, I can't imagine havin so many affected, all at one time. It just dosen't seem fair. But then what is! Prayers and good thoughts in my heart for you and your during this difficult time and always. Hugs...alison
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Skipper
    thanks for the update. I will continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    My goodness girl,
    we're wrapping our arms around you. And I am praying for you and your family. How difficult it must be to see your Sister and how valiant she has fought this thing. I pray for peace to surround you even in the midst of trials. And for God's strength to uplift you through it all.

Staying positive that all is good with you and your husband. Thank you for keeping us posted.

Blessings and hugs,

Sylvia
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

My goodness girl,
    we're wrapping our arms around you. And I am praying for you and your family. How difficult it must be to see your Sister and how valiant she has fought this thing. I pray for peace to surround you even in the midst of trials. And for God's strength to uplift you through it all.

Staying positive that all is good with you and your husband. Thank you for keeping us posted.

Blessings and hugs,

Sylvia

Dear Skipper,
    Thanks so much

Dear Skipper,
    Thanks so much for checking in and letting us know how you're doing. I think of you and pray for you, your sister and your husband.
    God Bless and Hugs,
    Wanda
  • skipper85
    Options
    I Am So Blessed
    to have all you wonderful ladies praying for us and keeping up my spirits. Thanks and lots of (((HUGS))) right back at ya.

My son is coming today from DC for a visit. Since my husband's original surgery was for Monday he was coming in for moral support. He couldn't change his plane ticket or days off so I get to have him when we're not busy running back and forth to the hospital. So today is a good day for everyone. Also he can help me with some computer issues :-)

Have a wonderful weekend and stay strong everyone. Thanks for being there.

Skipper85
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Skipper,

Sue

Thanks for the update on
    Thanks for the update on your sister, you and your family. Sending prayers for all of you.

Big Hug,

Susie
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Skipper,

Sue

Sending prayers for your
    Sending prayers for your sister and your husband. Wish I could do more!

Hugs, Jan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Dear Skipper,
    Thanks so much

Dear Skipper,
    Thanks so much for checking in and letting us know how you're doing. I think of you and pray for you, your sister and your husband.
    God Bless and Hugs,
    Wanda

Praying for you and your
    Praying for you and your family. Keep us updated when you can.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

My goodness girl,

Blessings and hugs,

Sylvia

Thanks for letting us know
    Thanks for letting us know what is going on now with your sister, your husband and you. I am sending huge prayers and huge hugs to all of you.

Sue :)
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Skipper,

Sue

You are such a good sister
    You are such a good sister and your sister is a real fighter. Thanks for posting the update. Sending prayers!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    skipper85 said:

I Am So Blessed
    to have all you wonderful ladies praying for us and keeping up my spirits. Thanks and lots of (((HUGS))) right back at ya.

My son is coming today from DC for a visit. Since my husband's original surgery was for Monday he was coming in for moral support. He couldn't change his plane ticket or days off so I get to have him when we're not busy running back and forth to the hospital. So today is a good day for everyone. Also he can help me with some computer issues :-)

Skipper85

bumping up
    Vicki
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    skipper85 said:

I Am So Blessed

Skipper85

So glad that your son is
    So glad that your son is coming Skipper. Stay strong and know that we all are praying for your family.

Hugs, Angie
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Gosh, you have so much on
    Gosh, you have so much on your plate right now. Cyberhugs coming your way! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    elm3544 said:

Thank you for taking the

You do have so much going
    You do have so much going on, so, thanks for posting this update. Keeping all of your family in my prayers.

Hugs, Megan