survivor-who? silly question I am sure----

Options
disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This may sound silly-but who is considered a surviror? I had breast cancer 2008-surgery, radiation & 2+yrs tomoxifen. Compared to many mine was nothing-no complications, hardly any issues with skin (treatment) only missed 2 1/2 wks of work.

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, anyone
    In my humble opinion, anyone who has received a cancer diagnosis and goes through the recommended treatment and is still alive to tell their story is a survivor. Bottom line, YOU are a survivor. Our treatments may be different but our goal is the same...KILL THE BEAST!!!
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

In my humble opinion, anyone
    In my humble opinion, anyone who has received a cancer diagnosis and goes through the recommended treatment and is still alive to tell their story is a survivor. Bottom line, YOU are a survivor. Our treatments may be different but our goal is the same...KILL THE BEAST!!!

survivor
    Thanks...I DONT" KNOW why I dont' think of myself as one! I went on Cancer walk while on cruise ship & they said any surivors? I never replied...

KILL the BEAST!

I just lost a very close life time friend (LIKE a mom to me)she had cancer many times over the past 30 yrs or so. JUST 2 mths....still so hard!

I LOVE the expression "IN MY HUMBLE OPINION"!

so survivor and proud of it..right?!!!!

love the betty boop
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    You bet you're a survivor!
    You bet you're a survivor! You were diagnosed with cancer, you went through treatment and you are here to tell the tale!
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    Anyone
    who's heard those dreaded words and doesn't immediately jump off a bridge as I remember I sure wanted to do, is a survivor. I'm so happy your journey wasn't as difficult as some, but that in no way makes you less of a survivor. We've all fought our battle and will continue to fight for the rest of our lives and we're glad to have you with us.

marge
  • Suzie-Q-Z
    Suzie-Q-Z Member Posts: 40
    Options

Anyone
    who's heard those dreaded words and doesn't immediately jump off a bridge as I remember I sure wanted to do, is a survivor. I'm so happy your journey wasn't as difficult as some, but that in no way makes you less of a survivor. We've all fought our battle and will continue to fight for the rest of our lives and we're glad to have you with us.

marge

I'm at a transition point, I think
    I'm not sure what to call what stage I'm in. I was Diagnosed in early August. had a mastectomy 2 weeks ago when the doctor declared he "got it all" so the cancer is gone (?). Yet I'll begin chemo and hormone therapy as a precautionary measure. I won't be done with that untill Christmas time next year so... I can't say I have cancer. I have just begun the process realy so I'm not comfortable saying I'm a survivor. Feeling like I still want to say I have cancer when it is all still so fresh. Is "survivor an apropriate term if I'm still in treatment? seems like all I survived (and I know it's no small thing) is a mastectomy. What will be the new phrase to celebrate when treatment is really over. See my point? I sorta wanna say "I'm battling cancer". Dont' have it anymore but not done with it either.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Suzie-Q-Z said:

I'm not sure what to call what stage I'm in. I was Diagnosed in early August. had a mastectomy 2 weeks ago when the doctor declared he "got it all" so the cancer is gone (?). Yet I'll begin chemo and hormone therapy as a precautionary measure. I won't be done with that untill Christmas time next year so... I can't say I have cancer. I have just begun the process realy so I'm not comfortable saying I'm a survivor. Feeling like I still want to say I have cancer when it is all still so fresh. Is "survivor an apropriate term if I'm still in treatment? seems like all I survived (and I know it's no small thing) is a mastectomy. What will be the new phrase to celebrate when treatment is really over. See my point? I sorta wanna say "I'm battling cancer". Dont' have it anymore but not done with it either.

To Suzie-Q-Z
    I kinda wondered the same thing at the time. I just always said I had cancer and now I am in active treatment (during chemo&rads). I am now 2 1/2 months into 5 yrs. of Tamoxifen so I definitely consider myself a survivor, just through with active treatment. I think it is a process of survival, the diagnosis,surgery,chemo and rads or whatever your order may be. We fight and survive each step along the way in my opinion!! God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

To Suzie-Q-Z
    I kinda wondered the same thing at the time. I just always said I had cancer and now I am in active treatment (during chemo&rads). I am now 2 1/2 months into 5 yrs. of Tamoxifen so I definitely consider myself a survivor, just through with active treatment. I think it is a process of survival, the diagnosis,surgery,chemo and rads or whatever your order may be. We fight and survive each step along the way in my opinion!! God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

2 1/2 yrs now for me and tomoxifen
    I started my adventure (if you want to call it that) Jan 2008-honestly I do not rememeber the dates of my call back for mammo, biopsy or surgery (and normally I remember EVER date, birthday etc etc) The only date I remember is the last day of radiation June 28, 2008...what got me through was I planned my first girls only vacation to disney-so each day of treatment I would lay on the table and think DISNEY...(my passion)

Thanks for all the replies...
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    elm3544 said:

You bet you're a survivor!
    You bet you're a survivor! You were diagnosed with cancer, you went through treatment and you are here to tell the tale!

very true
    But as I was at cancer center daily-I was one of the luckier ones there for treatment! I have had ulcertive colitis for 18 yrs...everyone used to say OH THAT must be terrible. I said well things could be worse-it could be cancer....little did i know 18 yrs later-i'd have it...
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    Suzie-Q-Z said:

I totally understand
    even though I am passed all my treatments other then tamoxifen-I just think OH I HAD IT..

I went to dr appt with my husband (his appt not mine) his dr asked me if I am healthy? I sadi depends what you mean by healthy! I had cancer 2 1/2 yrs ago...! He never said any more just wrote in his file..
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    My oncologist told me you
    My oncologist told me you are a survivor from the time you are diagnosed. That's when the fight begins to beat it. I had thought from the day of surgery, then from the completion date of treatment. But she said no - the minute you start the fight you are a survivor.
    Pat
  • Suzie-Q-Z
    Suzie-Q-Z Member Posts: 40
    Options

To Suzie-Q-Z
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Janice, sister survivor
    I guess it's more about the process and the attitude, not the end or goal. To be a survivor doesn't have to mean you are done and survived, it's more like you are fighting it and won't give in! I am a survivor, not I survived it.
    Thanks Janice, hugs back.
    Suzie
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I would
    consider you a survivor! You were dx with cancer.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    Same question as yesterday
    HMMMM...guess maybe I'm just being a **** today!