The one best thing.

D Lewis
D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Many of you have read my intermittent Polly-Anna posts on here, chirping about survival and gratitude and being able to choke down sourdough bread. Well, here is another one. I had a revelation last night about "living in the moment." I can do it now. I am doing it. I've been doing it for some time now, probably since shortly after treatment ended. Or, maybe it was shortly after that 3-month PET-CT. Anyway, I'm not afraid any more. I'm not lying awake nights fretting about when it will come back. I'm not picturing a horrible death from the ravages of cancer, or a tongue-less old age. Petty **** at work, a messy house, traffic jams and waiting in line don't bug me anymore. I am just so damn glad to be here right now. Glad to spend time with family and friends, glad to ride, glad to do dishes, glad to do laundry, and glad to celebrate all the happy events that occur daily. I recommend it very highly.

We all know who Polly-Anna is, don't we? Or, does that just date us older folk on here?

Deb - in the moment

Comments

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Polly-anna
    Praises for living in the moment, Deb. Good for you!
  • JUDYV5
    JUDYV5 Member Posts: 392
    Pollyana
    I love this post!!
  • rmkbrad
    rmkbrad Member Posts: 176
    I must agree
    I don't get all upset over little things anymore, I cherish the moments with my sons even when they are fighting. I don't think that the people around me realize how cancer will and does change your life. My wife says that I am not the same old person, I like to think that I am a much better person. My kids have become closer to me and enjoy hanging out more often with me. I know it is kind of sick thought, but sometimes I think god gave me cancer to get me to slow down and appreciate what I have instead of working so hard to acheave the next goal. Anyway had a MRI last Monday and I am still waiting on the results, but for the time I am still fighting and enjoying life.

Brad
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    You Go, Polly
    Deb,

Yep - you're dating us when you mention Polly-Anna - but I don't mind, and am betting you don't, either. Have to share - I was at a family/friends gathering last weekend, and folks started commenting on how nice my hair looks. I have been having problems with my hair, and said so, then followed up with "It's all good, though - I have enough hair for it to look messy now". Mini Happy Dance ensued. Keep celebrating.
  • luv2cut1
    luv2cut1 Member Posts: 288
    Thanks for this post!
    Thank you so much for this post. May we all appreciate every moment we have.

Myka
  • stevenl
    stevenl Member Posts: 587
    luv2cut1 said:

Thanks for this post!
    Thank you so much for this post. May we all appreciate every moment we have.

Myka

Like It
    I too, am living in the moment. I really never was scared. Maybe I don't know how to be scared. Never for a moment did I think I was going to die. Felt I had too much left to do. And yes it is grand to still be here and doing it. I guess the only thing that bothers me is traffic. Oh yea, I had some crying time and some self pity but really not fear. Kinda hard for me to explain. So here's to living and gettin on with it!!!

Best,
    Steve

P.S. Never heard of Polly-Anna, he he he.
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    stevenl said:

Like It
    I too, am living in the moment. I really never was scared. Maybe I don't know how to be scared. Never for a moment did I think I was going to die. Felt I had too much left to do. And yes it is grand to still be here and doing it. I guess the only thing that bothers me is traffic. Oh yea, I had some crying time and some self pity but really not fear. Kinda hard for me to explain. So here's to living and gettin on with it!!!

Best,
    Steve

P.S. Never heard of Polly-Anna, he he he.

Love your post!
    All I can say is Thank You!
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    afraid
    God bless and be with you, enjoy your life
  • delnative
    delnative Member Posts: 450
    Hondo said:

afraid
    God bless and be with you, enjoy your life

Welcome to the club, Deb
    I went through the same thing once I came out of treatment, which is two years ago now.
    I don't sweat the small stuff anymore.
    Back in the '60s there was an academic colleague of Dr. Timothy Leary named Richard Alpert. Like Leary, he got into psychedelics in a big way, got into Eastern religion and took the name Baba Ram Dass.
    Ram Dass wrote a book drawing on the religious experience he'd undergone and the philosophy he'd adopted. It was titled "Be Here Now."
    That's what we're doing: being here now.

--Jim in Delaware
  • dogsrule
    dogsrule Member Posts: 96
    delnative said:

Welcome to the club, Deb
    I went through the same thing once I came out of treatment, which is two years ago now.
    Back in the '60s there was an academic colleague of Dr. Timothy Leary named Richard Alpert. Like Leary, he got into psychedelics in a big way, got into Eastern religion and took the name Baba Ram Dass.
    Ram Dass wrote a book drawing on the religious experience he'd undergone and the philosophy he'd adopted. It was titled "Be Here Now."

--Jim in Delaware

Something
    That is something to be said about what we take away from having been told and lived " you have cancer" and all that comes with that. Somehow, for what ever reason, it makes you realize how fragile life is. You stand up and take a closer look on all the little stuff and, good or bad, it's life. Let's live this life.
  • adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691
    Beautiful
    Thanks for this post. Call me Polly-Anna. I'm with you on all of it and not yet done with treatment. Life is quite wonderful isn't it?

Bob
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    delnative said:

Welcome to the club, Deb

--Jim in Delaware

Be here now..
    Thanks Jim, I like that expression and am going to "adopt" it. Will tell myself every day to "Be Here Now"!!!
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557

Beautiful
    Thanks for this post. Call me Polly-Anna. I'm with you on all of it and not yet done with treatment. Life is quite wonderful isn't it?

Bob

Touched that spot.
    Deb,
    Your post touches that spot that words are inadequate to describe. It is a combination of appreciation, loss, joy, strengh, and peace. There is a saying that we have choice as to whether adversity will make us bitter or make us better. Hoda Kopfe (spelling?) who is a host on the later version of the Today Show, talks about her experience with breast cancer. A phrase that has become her mantra is "You can't hurt me". I have adopted this attitude too as a result of Mark's diagnosis and treatment. It has allowed me to take brave steps in my work and personal life that I had not been able to before.
    Deb, your post is a beautiful one, that resonates loud and clear. Thank you.
    And yes, I too know Polly-Anna...didn't Haley Mills play her in the movie?
    Kim
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Kimba1505 said:

Touched that spot.
    Deb,
    Your post touches that spot that words are inadequate to describe. It is a combination of appreciation, loss, joy, strengh, and peace. There is a saying that we have choice as to whether adversity will make us bitter or make us better. Hoda Kopfe (spelling?) who is a host on the later version of the Today Show, talks about her experience with breast cancer. A phrase that has become her mantra is "You can't hurt me". I have adopted this attitude too as a result of Mark's diagnosis and treatment. It has allowed me to take brave steps in my work and personal life that I had not been able to before.
    Deb, your post is a beautiful one, that resonates loud and clear. Thank you.
    And yes, I too know Polly-Anna...didn't Haley Mills play her in the movie?
    Kim

Awesome! Glad you are in
    Awesome! Glad you are in the moment! I'm not quite a Polly Anna, but as I said in Mike's thread, I am doing well. Being able to eat more has really helped me turn another corner mentally and physically.

Be well, be love,

sweet
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973

Awesome! Glad you are in
    Awesome! Glad you are in the moment! I'm not quite a Polly Anna, but as I said in Mike's thread, I am doing well. Being able to eat more has really helped me turn another corner mentally and physically.

Be well, be love,

sweet

Traffic Jams are just fine now..
    It hit home when I was recently in a traffic jam that made a 1 and a 1/2 hour trip take 5 and a 1/2 hours - and I did not once get upset, yell abuse, scream, or otherwise react as I would have in the past. No need to get upset these days as I have more important things to do.

Scam.
  • Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849

Traffic Jams are just fine now..
    It hit home when I was recently in a traffic jam that made a 1 and a 1/2 hour trip take 5 and a 1/2 hours - and I did not once get upset, yell abuse, scream, or otherwise react as I would have in the past. No need to get upset these days as I have more important things to do.

Scam.

Cool post
    Deb,

Have been out of town on bidnis for a couple weeks. Getting back and reading some of the good news and then reading your post gave a big smile. Great attitude as usual! If I could just do the sourdough.

Positive thoughts to everyone!

Greg
  • santa6
    santa6 Member Posts: 29
    WHAT SHE SAID!!!!!!!!
    Ditto, great post/attitude.