Any tips for lumpectomy vs. mastectomy? How about radiation?

Options
TP123
TP123 Member Posts: 53
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I only have 4 more chemo tx's to go, then surgery. My surgeon says it will be my decision as to whether I want a lumpectomy or mastectomy; the survival rate is virtually the same. I say, "take whatever is necessary!" But I'm getting a little scared as it approaches. I had a terrible experience with an anesthesiologist when my port was put in. The surgeon insisted on GENERAL anesthetic, not IV sedation (more money, good insurance, and physician owned hospital). I woke up with an extremely sore throat, sore muscles all over my body, a bad headache and calf muscles throbbing with pain to the point they had to use an ultrasound to rule out blood clots (after removing the compression pads I was sent to surgery with)! They tell me "nothing happened and everything went smooth. My throat was BRUISED and I had to see my regular doctor to get rid of the headache via muscle relaxers and darvocet. Obviously I fired my surgeon because where was he when all of this "nothing was happening" event "didn't" occur? His job is also to protect his patient. ****!!!
Anyway, I would like to know what to expect recovery time with a lumpectomy and how much pain and what aftercare is involve. The same with radiation. Did anyone work during radiation treatments? I appreciate any input. I'm a relatively newbie to this network and am excited to have the outlet from people who speak the same emotional language. Thanks ahead of time. Teresa

Comments

• teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options
    from one teresa to another welcome!
    hi i had a lumpectomy may 2009 everyone is different but i didnt have a lot of bad pain with mine i stayed in the hospital overnight and i did get sick when they got me to my room from all the anesthesia. the drain was the worst part for me i was back to work a week later but i had to be careful on lifting anything.as for radiation it will make you tired i had 33 treatments and i did manage to work everyday but that was about all i got done i slept a lot when i wasnt working. i also burned very badly but i wasnt allowed to use anything but cornstarch it did nothing. but again everyone is different.i just had a mastectomy sep 28 and i was back to work 5 days later the worst part drain tube. none of this is easy and being scared is normal you will do fine.im wishing you the best and welcome .

teresa
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Teresa, welcome and I'm glad
    Teresa, welcome and I'm glad you found this site. I had a lumpectomy in 7/09 and had no complications. I had the surgery on an outpatient basis and was home that same night. I did not have any drains to deal with. I then had chemo and radiation followed. I worked throughout all my treatments and also managed to exercise 5 times a week. I think the exercise really helped and I will admit that there were days I wasn't as excited about it but went anyway. I had a recurrence one year later in 7/10 and this time had a bilateral mastectomy. Because I had radiation previously, the choices for reconstruction are limited. I chose to have the latissimus dorsi flap which is where they move the latissimus muscle from your back and tunnel it under the skin to be placed on top of the expander and finally the implant. That was a much tougher recovery as I had 2 drains coming out of my back because my plastic surgeon performed the lat flap on both the affected side (left breast) and non-affected side. He said the outcome would be more symmetrical that way. I was out of work for three and a half weeks and out of exercise for 6 weeks.

It's a very personal decision and a decision that only you can make. I am glad that you found this site and can get input from a large group of women, some that had lumpectomy and other mastectomy. Continue to ask questions and good luck in making that decision.
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Teresa, welcome and I'm glad you found this site. I had a lumpectomy in 7/09 and had no complications. I had the surgery on an outpatient basis and was home that same night. I did not have any drains to deal with. I then had chemo and radiation followed. I worked throughout all my treatments and also managed to exercise 5 times a week. I think the exercise really helped and I will admit that there were days I wasn't as excited about it but went anyway. I had a recurrence one year later in 7/10 and this time had a bilateral mastectomy. Because I had radiation previously, the choices for reconstruction are limited. I chose to have the latissimus dorsi flap which is where they move the latissimus muscle from your back and tunnel it under the skin to be placed on top of the expander and finally the implant. That was a much tougher recovery as I had 2 drains coming out of my back because my plastic surgeon performed the lat flap on both the affected side (left breast) and non-affected side. He said the outcome would be more symmetrical that way. I was out of work for three and a half weeks and out of exercise for 6 weeks.

It's a very personal decision and a decision that only you can make. I am glad that you found this site and can get input from a large group of women, some that had lumpectomy and other mastectomy. Continue to ask questions and good luck in making that decision.

Hi Teresa
    I had a lumpectomy in March and had no pain, no problems -- actually walked my usual couple of miles the next day and went back to work three days later. Radiation went well. I got very brown and rather tired in the evening, but slept well every night. I didn't have chemo so I imagine that's one of the reasons radiation wasn't a problem -- I probably began rads with more energy than someone just finishing chemo.

I wish you peace and a speedy recovery.

xo
    Victoria
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Welcome
    I had a lumpectomy in Mar.10 My experience was good. It was also day surgery for me, home that night. Very little pain, no nausea no drains. I was very blessed! I did chemo after surgery. I did 30 rads and worked through all of them, was tired but not just awful, burned some but used the creams they gave me and advil. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    aisling8 said:

Hi Teresa
    I had a lumpectomy in March and had no pain, no problems -- actually walked my usual couple of miles the next day and went back to work three days later. Radiation went well. I got very brown and rather tired in the evening, but slept well every night. I didn't have chemo so I imagine that's one of the reasons radiation wasn't a problem -- I probably began rads with more energy than someone just finishing chemo.

I wish you peace and a speedy recovery.

xo
    Victoria

I had a lumpectomy, followed
    I had a lumpectomy, followed by rads which has the same survival rate and recurrence rate as a mastectomy, as I have been told and have read. With a mastectomy, they can never get all of the breast tissue, so, you still have breast tissue even after that procedure.

I was personally very happy that I could have the lumpectomy.

Good luck to you!

Hugs, Debby
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    Welcome Teresa
    and sorry you have to be here. I had a lumpectomy. It was done on Wednesday and I was back at work on Friday. The drains are the biggest pain in the a** and they come out fairly quickly. I didn't really have any horrible discomfort. I had 33 rad txs after chemo and worked thru the whole treatment, chemo and all. I was very lucky and am totally happy with the results of my lumpectomy. I've contemplated having the other breast done (so it's as perky as the redone one) but can't really convince myself to go thru another surgery that in my mind is totally elective. My tumor was 6.5 cm so it was a biggie and my surgeon did an awesome job. In clothes you can't tell anything was ever done, and out of clothes I have battle scars, very minimal considering the battle I fought.
    Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best.

marge
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options

Welcome Teresa
    and sorry you have to be here. I had a lumpectomy. It was done on Wednesday and I was back at work on Friday. The drains are the biggest pain in the a** and they come out fairly quickly. I didn't really have any horrible discomfort. I had 33 rad txs after chemo and worked thru the whole treatment, chemo and all. I was very lucky and am totally happy with the results of my lumpectomy. I've contemplated having the other breast done (so it's as perky as the redone one) but can't really convince myself to go thru another surgery that in my mind is totally elective. My tumor was 6.5 cm so it was a biggie and my surgeon did an awesome job. In clothes you can't tell anything was ever done, and out of clothes I have battle scars, very minimal considering the battle I fought.
    Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best.

marge

I had a lumpectomy in March of 09.
    The surgery went fine and I went home the same day. I was out of work for 5 days but was not in much pain. No drains because the nodes were clear. I had 33 radiation treatments but did not miss much work during this time. Some burning but not horrible. No chemo due to my OncotypeDX score. Big decision for you.

Roseann
  • TP123
    Options
    roseann4 said:

I had a lumpectomy in March of 09.
    The surgery went fine and I went home the same day. I was out of work for 5 days but was not in much pain. No drains because the nodes were clear. I had 33 radiation treatments but did not miss much work during this time. Some burning but not horrible. No chemo due to my OncotypeDX score. Big decision for you.

Roseann

you are all the BEST!!!
    Thank you so much for your input. It really helps. I know I can't see into the future but I like having a few pieces of info to prepare with. Thanks again. Teresa
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    5 day radiation vs 6 weeks.....
    Hi Teresa,
    I had a lumpectomy, no nodes checked, and went home within an hour. Used ice packs. Once swelling went down and the seroma (jluid build up) inside the cavity decreased a llittle (about 4 weeks later) I began the kind of radiation that only lasts for 5 days. No burning at all of any kind. Some fatique by the end of the week of radiation, but SO glad I was DONE with active treatment. My life went on. Ask about brachytherapy radiation.
    ~~Connie~~
  • TP123
    Options
    crselby said:

5 day radiation vs 6 weeks.....
    Hi Teresa,
    I had a lumpectomy, no nodes checked, and went home within an hour. Used ice packs. Once swelling went down and the seroma (jluid build up) inside the cavity decreased a llittle (about 4 weeks later) I began the kind of radiation that only lasts for 5 days. No burning at all of any kind. Some fatique by the end of the week of radiation, but SO glad I was DONE with active treatment. My life went on. Ask about brachytherapy radiation.
    ~~Connie~~

Thanks!
    So glad you shared. It is inspiring to me. Thank you, Connie for taking the time to let me know.
    Teresa
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options
    lumpectomy and radiation
    Had lumpectomy on Aug. 3,2010. Had some problems with tube in mouth. My mouth is small so they had to find a small tube. Was sore for a couple days. As for radiation... I have 4 more to go out of 33. I am quite fatigued and a lot of burning on the breast and underarm. Using Aloe Vera and Aquaphor. It has helped quite a bit. The last 5 treatments, as I have been told is a boost and will have more burning in a smaller area. Will be so happy to be finished. Doctor said the reacurrence is much less with radiation than not doing it at all. Had no chemo. So I was happy about that. Didn't have much outside support and went into it sort of blind. Wish I had more support. It would have been easier. So I talk to everyone and anyone. That really has helped me. God Bless You and Keep You under his wings.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Lumpectomy and radiation
    I had very little pain or discomfort with my lumpectomy (and nodes removed). I did radiation on my lunch hour for 8 wks. I had very little burning, dry skin or any issues. My appts (drs, mammo etc) say they can't even tell radiation-skin great! (2008)
    After treatments I went back every 3-6 mths for mammo and to see 2 different oncologists. I just had mammo last week and now got the ok to go annually...YIPPPE-I had great team at my cancer ctr...very caring, greeted you by name etc etc..

I did not have any fatigue or tired at all. I even packed friend(WHO moved out of state) 35 yrs of stuff in her house daily after treatment-work-then to the house! I did this alone packing years and years of boxes..
    I think I am one of the few who did not get drained...of energy. ( I am high energy and told my drs maybe it put me to normal person my age lol)