Breast cancer, PCOS, oophorectomy, hysterectomy . . . oh my.

Options
4slurpee
4slurpee Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello all,

I will try my best to explain this in a short manner. I am less than a year out from breast cancer treatment. I also have polycystic ovary syndrome. I am also estrogen and progesterone positive. Due to the breast cancer I am on tamoxifen. The PCOS allows extra estrogen to come from my remaining ovary (torsion led to removal of the other). Progesterone helps PCOS, but because I am progesterone positive that is not an option. I have been told I will be fine with my remaining ovary and uterus, however, it just increases my risk of breast cancer (the estrogen from the ovary). I have also been told the PCOS increases the risk of endometrial cancer. I am thinking of having the remaining ovary taken out and a complete hysterectomy therefore reducing all the risks - and I suppose putting my mind at ease. My oncologist is in favor. My breast surgeon I am not sure but I believe wants me to avoid the trauma unless something happens. I am just afraid of what the surgery, recover, and the immediate menopause is like although the endocrinologist said I am already in it due to the chemo. and tamoxifen.

Any ideas? Has anyone decided to have ovary removal and hysterectomy to be 'safe'? Since I have two issues, am I being realistic with my thoughts?

Thanks for reading - and replying!

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I sympathize
    with your dilemma. It's difficult to know what to do. Right after I was dx with bc in May I told my gyn that I had been spotting for 2 weeks. I'm 11 years post menopause and never had any bleeding issues. He did an endometrial biopsy and I had an ovarian ultrasound. All came back normal but if there had been any issue I was prepared to have the hysterectomy and ovaries removed so that I would have no more worries. Of course, being 61 it's not an issue as far as pregnancy goes. Wishing you well.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

I sympathize
    with your dilemma. It's difficult to know what to do. Right after I was dx with bc in May I told my gyn that I had been spotting for 2 weeks. I'm 11 years post menopause and never had any bleeding issues. He did an endometrial biopsy and I had an ovarian ultrasound. All came back normal but if there had been any issue I was prepared to have the hysterectomy and ovaries removed so that I would have no more worries. Of course, being 61 it's not an issue as far as pregnancy goes. Wishing you well.
    {{hugs}} Char

I am sorry
    I will be brief. I am too tired.
    Having induced menopause & Being on Tamoxefen is still much easier than surgical menopause. I do not know weather or not you need surgeries, but your menopausal symptoms will be much worse after the surgery. My gynecologist told me so and from my own experience I know because 4 months switched from Tamoxifen to Arimidex +Zoladex. Since I switched from Tamoxifen I have been experienced more serious sides effects -menopausal symptoms. My gynecologist told me that if I remove ovaries it will be even more severe. Talk to your gynecologist who after evaluation can tell you how far are you in in your pre/post/menopausal status
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Been there but other way
    I had the hysterectomy oophorectomy at 38 due to severe endometriosis, put on estrogen which resulted in breast cancer. After cancer surgery plus stopping all estrogen suppliments I began taking Paxil. Though Paxil is considered a sedative it really helps me through the hot flashes, which after 10 years still taking. Doctors were more concerned about my age and having children not my personal well being. I feel ones personal well being is more important. Life really gets better when most dought is removed, as long as you have had the children you want, living without fear is better. I am sure you will receive more positive input in your quest for answers.

Kathryn
  • tally
    tally Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Oopherectomy
    I had my ovaries and tubes removed on oct 13. It was done laprascopically. I have done really well or so the doctors think. The hot flashes are no worse than chemo hot flashes. I am in surgical induced menopause and just put on Arimidex. Not having mood swings yet. I really can't tell any difference than before surgery. Hope it stays this way. Good luck.