post chemo itching

Options
maglets
maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
so today I am about 15 months out of xeloda and oxy...went for a really vigorous walk and suddenly thought...wow! I am not itching!!!

for about 12 months after that chemo if I got warm I would have intense itching on arms and trunk....well not even itching as much as burning stinging...yeh it would be itching

did anyone else have this?....I wonder if it is the 5fu or the oxy....it is so weird after chemo to wake up and think...wow I don't have this or that

hang on chemo people...it does get better

mags

Comments

• AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Thanks
    Mags,thanks for this pep-talk! I am glad things are getting better.
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Mags
    Thanks for the ray of hope. I'm telling you my d**m head itches nad other spots too if I get warm. I'm feeling like the witch of itch! It's good to know that it goes away.
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    itchy
    Mags - I'm about 18 months out and still my arms and legs itch - and since i didn't have Xeloda, I'm thinking it must be the oxy. It isn't as bad as it used to be, but still enough to be annoying! how are your fingers and feet doing? With the cold weather starting here, my fingers are back at it (tingly) although again, not even close to how they were last year!
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options

itchy
    Mags - I'm about 18 months out and still my arms and legs itch - and since i didn't have Xeloda, I'm thinking it must be the oxy. It isn't as bad as it used to be, but still enough to be annoying! how are your fingers and feet doing? With the cold weather starting here, my fingers are back at it (tingly) although again, not even close to how they were last year!

itching
    OH Lori we all had head itching with oxy and then downright pain....like skull top of the head scalp pain....not a headache but pain.....I think that is the oxy

Hi sherrie.....good to see you....for newbies let me tell you you will remember the folks you went through chemo with and they are very important....Sorry you still have itching...yes I get a little but not nearly as bad as last winter. My hands and feet aren't too bad.....but my eyes still bug me in the cold....remember that weepy freezy feeling.

mags
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

itching
    OH Lori we all had head itching with oxy and then downright pain....like skull top of the head scalp pain....not a headache but pain.....I think that is the oxy

Hi sherrie.....good to see you....for newbies let me tell you you will remember the folks you went through chemo with and they are very important....Sorry you still have itching...yes I get a little but not nearly as bad as last winter. My hands and feet aren't too bad.....but my eyes still bug me in the cold....remember that weepy freezy feeling.

mags

One year since I stop oxy and still pins and needles!
    And sometimes l think is going worst!
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    pepebcn said:

One year since I stop oxy and still pins and needles!
    And sometimes l think is going worst!

eyes..hehe
    yeah - i notice that too, especially when i cry it still burns or something, and thats bad since i love tear jerking movies!

I agree with that advice to the newbies - you really do remember who you went through the chemo experience with!
  • Iris_G
    Iris_G Member Posts: 50 Member
    edited August 2016 #8
    Options
    Post chemo "itching"!

I had my last treatment on 2/24/2016.  The itching (or intense pins & needles is the other way I describe it) started almost 2 months to the day after my last treatment!  My oncologist said that it should've probably happened during chemo, not after, and has referred me to a dermatologist.  It's mostly on my abdomen and arms, never my legs or back.  My difference is that it happens first thing when my feet hit the floor in the morning and especially when I get cold.  If I feel the hair on my body start to stand up, I know it's coming and will last for probably 3-4 hours!  Please tell me this will eventually stop!

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Iris

Welcome to the boards.  You found a very old thread, so you may want to start a new one introducing yourself.  (This is a great place, though we do not like seeing new people for obvious reasons :) )  

The pins and needles happened for my during chemo (including cold sensitivity) and started resolving after it was done.  It is now a year out for me, and numbness, though lessened and close to gone, is still here.    I have had skin issues since chemo though, with major itching.  Dermititis, which has gotten pretty bad.  Some cream (when I finally decided to go to the dermotologist) cleard that rash/itchy part up quickly.  

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    The thread freaked me out.  I

The thread freaked me out.  I thought wait I haven't been on in a while but Mags had a relapse????  And then I saw a message from Pepe and it took me a second to realize I don't have chemo brain.  This weekend I'm .......missing Pepe=(  

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Iris_G said:

Post chemo "itching"!

I had my last treatment on 2/24/2016.  The itching (or intense pins & needles is the other way I describe it) started almost 2 months to the day after my last treatment!  My oncologist said that it should've probably happened during chemo, not after, and has referred me to a dermatologist.  It's mostly on my abdomen and arms, never my legs or back.  My difference is that it happens first thing when my feet hit the floor in the morning and especially when I get cold.  If I feel the hair on my body start to stand up, I know it's coming and will last for probably 3-4 hours!  Please tell me this will eventually stop!

...Hi Iris, I don't come on

...Hi Iris, I don't come on the Boards much these days.  Except for the pain in my feet and the very occassional jaw lock at the dentist, all of my neuropathy has stopped.  3.5 years out.