Easy Food list while on low iodine diet

CherylMike
CherylMike Member Posts: 118
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
Does anyone have a list of "convient" foods while on the iodine free diet? I looked on the Thyca website at the cookbook. I know about meat portions and fresh fruit and veggies. I am hunting more for "quick" foods - eg Kelloggs Frosted mini wheats have 0 sodium. Are Hebrew National beef franks ok to eat? I read they are Kosher foods which means the salt is coarse and contains no iodine? Does this hold true for all Kosher foods?

Comments

• sunnyaz
    sunnyaz Member Posts: 582
    Foods
    I would not use any type of processed meats. Remember also that sea salt is not iodine free, in fact, it has more iodine than iodized salt. I enjoyed no salt Matzo crackers with Hazelnut spread (check the label for salt content). I made muffins from the thyca cookbook and kept them on hand each week. Blueberry was my favorite. Blue Corn chips made by Garden of Eatin without salt. I also made fresh salsa using tomatoes, green chili peppers, onion and cilantro with some non iodized salt, black pepper and balsamic vinegar. Add the balsamic vinegar to taste. Chop everything small or use a food processor and eat with the no salt Blue Corn chips. I made food on the weekend and froze in meal size containers. Check pasta labels for salt content, most don't have a lot, if any salt. Make a big pot and use it with no salt butter as a quick snack. I even sprinkled a small amount of Parmesan cheese on it. I made tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes. I just sauteed fresh tomatoes with fresh basil and garlic in a pot with a little olive oil, non iodized salt and pepper. It was delicious! Some popsicle's are okay especially the juice type. I like the fruit cups that you buy and freeze. I found them in the grocery store near the regular fruit cups. Some of the other dishes I prepared ahead of time were; Stuffed Cabbage (or Bell pepper if you prefer). Use your favorite recipe and change the ingredients to include no salt substitutes. Hope this helps.
  • LizP
    LizP Member Posts: 17
    Easy foods
    A few of my staples during LID were:

bagged salad greens, add dried cranberries and salt free almond slices
    lots of fresh fruit
    egg whites in the milk type container. Season with mrs dash, chopped peppers onions & tomatoes
    matzoh crackers
    air popped popcorn
  • CherylMike
    CherylMike Member Posts: 118
    LizP said:

Easy foods
    A few of my staples during LID were:

bagged salad greens, add dried cranberries and salt free almond slices
    lots of fresh fruit
    egg whites in the milk type container. Season with mrs dash, chopped peppers onions & tomatoes
    matzoh crackers
    air popped popcorn

Thank you
    Thank you all so much for your responses. Did you find a low iodine salad dressing or did you make an oil and vineagar dressing? I made a spaghetti sauce last night that was really good (or I am just hungry :)
  • sunnyaz
    sunnyaz Member Posts: 582

Thank you
    Thank you all so much for your responses. Did you find a low iodine salad dressing or did you make an oil and vineagar dressing? I made a spaghetti sauce last night that was really good (or I am just hungry :)

Salad Dressing
    I made an oil and vinegar dressing. Never found one that was iodine free on the grocery store shelves.
  • Seri
    Seri Member Posts: 14

Thank you

foods
    You are probably done with the LID now, but the thyca.com LID cookbook is good. They have a really easy balsamic vinegar honey mustard dressing that was SO good and I swear I dipped EVERYTHING in it. I also snacked on peanuts and fruit snacks, drank fruit smoothies, and I marinated a bunch of chicken breasts in sprite and different mrs dash seasonings or balsamic vinegar and my hubby grilled them all up and we chopped them into little pieces and I added them to rice, pasta, salad, and "sandwiches". My friends made a couple of the bread recipes for me at the end, which was a huge treat. Hope all is well!