cold caps to prevent hair loss?

Options
Bedee
Bedee Member Posts: 24
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good Morning America had a segment this morning about this, currently be tested. Here's the link Health/OnCallPlus/cold-cap-therapy-women-chemotherapy-hair/story?id=11985624

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    COLD CAPS....
    This has been around for years......you can try it, but from everything I've researced on it, it doesn't work.......but can't hurt to try it!
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

COLD CAPS....
    This has been around for years......you can try it, but from everything I've researced on it, it doesn't work.......but can't hurt to try it!

cold caps
    I heard the same thing,but i had already heard of it and like they said on good morning america they have to do more research the things I've read about it says that the brain might not get the chemo it needs, i was watching the show saying to my self a little to late for me all my hair fell out within 2 weeks into chemo,
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    mollyz said:

cold caps
    I heard the same thing,but i had already heard of it and like they said on good morning america they have to do more research the things I've read about it says that the brain might not get the chemo it needs, i was watching the show saying to my self a little to late for me all my hair fell out within 2 weeks into chemo,

Ice pack where...?
    I heard about this when I was starting chemo, but, honestly, I just didn't think it was worth sitting there freezing to death for hours just for the sake of my hair.

My ever-resourceful, ever-helpful girlfriend, on the other hand, had her own idea: I actually started losing my hair in the "southern region" first, so she suggested I sit through my next chemo appointment with an ice pack between my legs...mainly just to see the reaction on my oncologist's face.

I refused, by the way. :-)

Traci
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Ice pack where...?
    I heard about this when I was starting chemo, but, honestly, I just didn't think it was worth sitting there freezing to death for hours just for the sake of my hair.

My ever-resourceful, ever-helpful girlfriend, on the other hand, had her own idea: I actually started losing my hair in the "southern region" first, so she suggested I sit through my next chemo appointment with an ice pack between my legs...mainly just to see the reaction on my oncologist's face.

Traci

Traci, you about made me pee
    Traci, you about made me pee my pants!
    Thanks, I needed that. :)
    Wanda
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I heard about this
    from a friend whose sister used it and did not lose her hair during chemo.

When I talked to my oncologist about it, she said she wouldn't recommend it. She said that the reason the hair doesn't come out is that the chemo doesn't reach the hair follicles. I wanted the chemo to reach every last cell in my body, and passed on the cold cap.

Traci - TOO FUNNY - as usual!!!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

I heard about this
    from a friend whose sister used it and did not lose her hair during chemo.

When I talked to my oncologist about it, she said she wouldn't recommend it. She said that the reason the hair doesn't come out is that the chemo doesn't reach the hair follicles. I wanted the chemo to reach every last cell in my body, and passed on the cold cap.

Traci - TOO FUNNY - as usual!!!

I'm with MAJW .. researched, asked several stylist along
    with Oncologist and his trusty staff .. no good reviews or results. But, who knows ? Try it - whats the worst that can happen ?? Hair here today, gone tomorrow :-), it's sad, and horrible - but it happens everyday.

Good luck, and let us know if you tried this ---

Vicki Sam
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My opinion
    I think there are so many things so much worse than hairloss. I heard about this, but didn't really look into much. I did use cold, wet scarves to keep me cool in the Texas summer, though. They helped a little with the chemo-induced menopause hot/cold flashes.
    Don't suppose it would hurt to try it, if your Doc says so.

seof.
  • carriesoup
    carriesoup Member Posts: 144
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Ice pack where...?

Traci

Traci
    HAHAHA! you should have tried it! good experiment ;) LOL!

carrie :D