My taste buds are gone

Options
canjuncutie
canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
For the past week I cant taste food right. My nose is running to much. No fever.When will food taste right again? Things are ok. I can believe I also made it half way thru the chemo. With only minor complaints. I am a treat of a vip treatment at a night at a musical.Head for a look good feel good class on the 11 nov the theather on the 13th.

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    My taste buds came back
    My taste buds came back pretty quickly after chemo--I think a month or so after. But I think I have powerful taste buds ;-)
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    TASTE BUDS
    I lost my taste buds for about a week after each chemo infusion.....Taste buds consist of rapidly dividing cells.......chem targets ALL rapidly dividing cells, which is what cancer is......It's also the reason we lose our hair and body hair......they are all rapidily dividing cells.........My taste buds would return the second week after each chemo.....I just experimented with different foods....for some reason I could taste tomatoes....watermellon..and sometimes spicy things...Once I found something that I could half way taste, that's what I existed on for that week.....I always told my husband that I may as well be eating Alpo! So just experiment......

Peace be with you
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Taste buds
    being toyed with and runny nose were symptoms that I had too during chemo. It's funny kind of,I have a friend who started chemo first and was finished with her A/C right when I had both my surgeries over and I was pre-chemo and she was always having to carry around kleenex for her nose. I didn't get it till I was into my chemo treatments.
    My tastebuds came back after my rads and chemo-hope yours come back sooner!
    Hope you have a great time at the musical and I never went to the Look Good Feel Better class,but I heard it's great!
    Hang in there!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I had my last chemo 2 weeks
    I had my last chemo 2 weeks ago & i just noticed my taste buds are starting to get back to normal now. My nose is still running like crazy though!
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    Good for you!
    Half-way is a good place! You'll enjoy the look good-feel good, and you get lot of goodies, the theater sounds fabulous too. Did you mention something about food not tasting right?LOL Don't worry, it will all come back, once you finish chemo if not before. You sound like you are handling chemo quite well, you are lucky!! God bless you..alison
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I haven't noticed
    much change in my tastebuds. I do use plastic silverware at home. Some foods taste a bit different but I only have 2 more chemo treatments so I guess I can hang on a bit longer. I'll be happy as long as Thanksgiving dinner tastes good! Especially the pumpkin pie! Hope your taste buds come back soon. I went to a Look Good, Feel Good program and it was great. I hope you enjoy yours :-) My nose runs often and unfortunately many times is bloody. One eye tears and the other has a twitch but I really can't complain. Hang in there!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Not to Worry!!
    They'll come back soon after your last treatment. Then, chocolate will taste like chocolate again!!!

Hang in there sweetie :D

Hugs and blessings,

Sylvia
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Taste Buds
    My taste buds went crazy right after my first chemo. However, it didn't last the entire time of my chemo. Everyone is different, but I hope yours come back soon.
  • carriesoup
    carriesoup Member Posts: 144
    Options
    it sucks doesn't it?? i
    it sucks doesn't it?? i haven't lost mine completely, but my mouth constantly tastes salty. i chew gum all the time. the thought of salty things, flips my stomach! i usually love my salt! i'm starting my 12 rounds of taxol next, hope i don't lose them completely. only time will tell...

carrie :D
  • tjohnson2310
    tjohnson2310 Member Posts: 168 Member
    Options

it sucks doesn't it?? i
    it sucks doesn't it?? i haven't lost mine completely, but my mouth constantly tastes salty. i chew gum all the time. the thought of salty things, flips my stomach! i usually love my salt! i'm starting my 12 rounds of taxol next, hope i don't lose them completely. only time will tell...

carrie :D

Salty
    I found while on Taxol I had a salty taste as well.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Salty
    I found while on Taxol I had a salty taste as well.

I hated eating, lost tons of
    I hated eating, lost tons of weight, after rads it came back, now Ihave to watch it so I dont gain the weight back!!! I had a better appetite the two days after chemo because of the steroids then back to struggling! I also couldnt stand sweets, which i always loved, now i love them again. but i prefer salty.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

Good for you!
    Half-way is a good place! You'll enjoy the look good-feel good, and you get lot of goodies, the theater sounds fabulous too. Did you mention something about food not tasting right?LOL Don't worry, it will all come back, once you finish chemo if not before. You sound like you are handling chemo quite well, you are lucky!! God bless you..alison

I didn't take chemo, so, I
    I didn't take chemo, so, I can't help you about the taste buds question. I just wanted to wish you good luck with the look good feel good program. I know many on here said they really loved it.

Hugs, Diane