Is there no end?

Options
ladyg
ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Seems like this just keeps going. Started with biopsy. Then lumpectomy which caused lyphedema. Then rads (thankfully no chemo). Then Femara. Now today I got a call from the medical onc saying that because of the bone density scan they did I have to take Fosomax. When they first told me I needed to take something for my bones they said Caltrate with vitamin D would be enough. Now they have changed their minds and said I need to do both. Sometimes I almost think the cure is worse then the disease. Of course I know better than that. I just needed to vent a little. Thanks for listening.

Hugs,
Georgia

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Georgia,
    I can understand the frustration. With the meds that I have been on for a while(about 6 years),then the new one that my doctor put me on, the side effect is bone loss. So I have to take another med(Boniva)
    plus Caltrate to help prevent against bone loss. It does seem like an ongoing thing.Guess I've just decided to ride the roller coaster in hopes that it will help against a recurrence so I am willing!
    Don't give up! I know all the pill popping and side effects suck-I hate it too sometimes!
    Good thing is yeah,you can always vent on here and no one ever tells you to stop whining or suck it up,because we all understand what it's like to go through hell and back and we would love to be your cheerleaders!
    Hang in there!
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Totally understand...
    And can surely relate to your feelings. (sigh...)

When I get frustrated, I remind myself about the most difficult & nasty stuff already endured - surgery/chemo/rads. Then, taking a couple of pills each day doesn't seem so bad.

My next bone density scan is in November. Expecting not-so-good results. (another sigh...)

Kind regards, Susan
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Oh it does seem that way sometimes
    Dear Georgia,
    Had very similar thoughts after the diagnosis, surgery, seroma, lymphedema and joint stiffness/pain from Arimidex. When does it end? I was started in a Clinical trial of Chondritin, two big capsules three times a day, in addition to my allergy medication, calcium for osteopenia, medication for GERD and the Arimidex ( also vitamins, antioxidant supplements etc).
    Now that I am feeling so much better: more energetic and more like myself, I am thankful for the treatments and accept the inconveniences as "just the way it is". The road to acceptance is not easy but I figure, what's the alternative? Stay miserable? Nah, life is too precious to waste time with the "its not fair", regrets etc.
    So vent and know that we are all here to support you in this. Stay in the moment and know that the sun does come out after the rain.
    Hugs, K
  • tally
    tally Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Thinking the same thing
    Thank you for posting this. I am having the same thoughts. While having an EKG at pre-op for lumpectomy, doctors found I had a heart blockage that is inoperable. But I didn't let it get me down because I was fixing to start chemo and had to be strong. After chemo and radiation, I had a bone density scan which showed osteoporosis. Started Fosamax. Starting Arimidex tomorrow. Thanks to cancer, had to have a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. That closes the door on having children. And of course, now I'm in early menopause that my gyno said would be harder than if it happened naturally. Nothing about this is easy but we have no choice if we want to live.
  • TP123
    TP123 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Blessings
    I feel for ya! I think we all do. Just thought about what has helped me at times. Spend time looking at your blessings right now. It helps to lift your mood and realize there is always good in our lives....support of our family, time to rest and readjust our focus, etc. If we use our energy to support negativity, we energize our cancer. Positives help us mentally. I don't mean to diminish any of your valid stuff your going through. Just wanted to lift you. (You are so entitled to feel like you do.)
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Vent all you want to
    Vent all you want to Georgia, we are all here for ya. It does seem like it never ends. I'm so sorry you are having a hard time. I get sick of all the meds too. It will be so nice to just feel better. Take care sweetheart {{HUGS}} Kay
  • warrrior3
    warrrior3 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    frustrating
    It does seem frustrating. Thank goodness we have each other on this board to vent to and to know someone understands how we feel.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    bone density
    I have been taking calcuim for years (mainly due to colitis) & I too was told should be ok-i just had the bone scan last week and must go to the dr to talk over options for bone lose meds.

Venting is good....feel free..!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    warrrior3 said:

frustrating
    It does seem frustrating. Thank goodness we have each other on this board to vent to and to know someone understands how we feel.

just found this board yesterday
    seems like great place to vent, see others are having issues like you or help others !