13 weeks out - PET results

miccmill
miccmill Member Posts: 248
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Well, Glenn had his first PET scan and he's NED!!

What really made him happy was his Rad Onc saying she would clear him for dentures just after Thanksgiving. They still see some swelling on the CAT scan and want another month.

He still has a PEG tube and he's lost 65lbs, but he had it to lose. They're not worried about the overall weight loss but want him to make sure he's getting enough nutrition. Very difficult without teeth.
Now he weighs what he did when I met him 23 years ago.

Feeling better has snuck up on him. I find him on the ladder, caulking the windows for winter, underneath the Jeep changing the oil and come home from work to find Halloween lights hung on the porch. The dog tells me they walk regularly and take rides in the Jeep to run errands.

I'm blown away at how patient he has been and accepting of this very tough treatment.

He looks at the clothes I bring home from JC Penny and says "Oh no way will that fit" but it does. His internal image hasn't caught up with his new body shape yet.

Life is good.

Comments

• dogsrule
    dogsrule Member Posts: 96
    Great news!!
    So happy to hear the great news. Congrats. Life IS good!!
  • Jimbo55
    Jimbo55 Member Posts: 590 Member
    Excellent
    Great news to hear and so glad Glenn is recovering quite nicely. Yes life is good. Cheers

Jimbo
  • adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691
    Good stuff
    That's music to my ears. I love hearing about people doing well. Congrats and thanks for sharing the good stuff.

Bob
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Pureed food
    Wonderful news!!! It always starts my day with a smile to read about another NED!!

Have you tried pureed foods for Glenn??? Fifteen years ago I had my jaws wired together due to a car accident and couldn't eat anything, all foods had to be in liquid form. I was staying with my daughter during my recovery and she put all my food in a food processor and pureed it. It might sound disgusting but most of the meals were quite good. She would cook my eggs and toast (with butter), put them in the food processor with some milk and puree on high. It tasted just like the toast and eggs I would normally eat.

She has a mentally handicapped client who lives with her who just had all of his teeth removed and she took some of their left over beef from a pot roast dinner, added some gravy, potatoes and carrots and pureed it to a pudding consistency. I asked her what it was and she told me to take a bite, it was delicious!!! The extra benefit for her is that her 10 month old grandson loves it also and it gives him a nutritious meal too.

You're right...LIFE IS GOOD!!!...especially with an NED!!
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Awesome
    Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

love the story.

John
  • rush1958
    rush1958 Member Posts: 221 Member
    NED
    Glad to hear your good news! Time to do the happy dance!

It sounds like the dog is even benefiting from the experience!

Rush
  • JUDYV5
    JUDYV5 Member Posts: 392
    Fantastic
    I love to hear the NED - Also love to hear how he is adjusting to the new Glenn and living his life. Life is fantastic.
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Wonderful news
    That is just the best news! Congratulations!
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Excellent
    Very good to hear. As you know by now, it's a celebration for everybody when someone gets the NED proclamation. Thanks for sharing your good news.

Like you all, I had a lot of clothes to get rid of after treatment (and new clothes to buy - ugh and yay). I still look at some things and think "that'll fit", and am wrong. Hoping he keeps making strides in the right direction.
  • Joel4
    Joel4 Member Posts: 263 Member
    Pam M said:

Excellent
    Very good to hear. As you know by now, it's a celebration for everybody when someone gets the NED proclamation. Thanks for sharing your good news.

Like you all, I had a lot of clothes to get rid of after treatment (and new clothes to buy - ugh and yay). I still look at some things and think "that'll fit", and am wrong. Hoping he keeps making strides in the right direction.

Awesome News
    I am glad to hear he is doing so well. Very happy for you guys!
  • stevenl
    stevenl Member Posts: 587
    Joel4 said:

Awesome News
    I am glad to hear he is doing so well. Very happy for you guys!

Great News
    So glad for you both. Keep on healin!!!!

Best,
    Steve
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Good good news
    Great to hear the NED thing !

• Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849

Good good news
    Great to hear the NED thing !

NED
    Always good to hear another NED out there! Yeah!!
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    GOOD NEWS IS BEST MEDICINE OF ALL
    Nothing better than reading about NED.

WAY TO GO!!

Mike
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228

GOOD NEWS IS BEST MEDICINE OF ALL
    Nothing better than reading about NED.

WAY TO GO!!

Mike

Happy dance!
    Great news, indeed!
  • Ed_PortOrange
    Ed_PortOrange Member Posts: 110
    Great News
    It's time to take a break and reflect on the journey. It's been uphill till this point and it looks like you've reached the peak. It's time to put the mind on cruise control, keep in the slow lane and enjoy the sites and sounds on your way back to your normal routines.

Best wishes,
    Ed
  • luv2cut1
    luv2cut1 Member Posts: 288
    So Awesome!
    It is always so awesome to hear NED! Congratulations.

Myka
  • Pumakitty
    Pumakitty Member Posts: 652
    This is great news
    I am so glad to read your great news. I am also glad to hear he is feeling better. Enjoy!!!

Kathy