Lymphocyte's are low

Options
Annabelle41415
Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My lymphocytes are low and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this. My doctor said it was chemo induced, but they just don't want to bounce back. They are just hovering at the same level. She said she could order some blood tests for lupus or HIV, but I don't have any of those symptoms. She also said that my numbers were normal before chemo and this was chemo induced. Anyone have any thoughts.

Kim

Comments

• pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    As per I know this is quite normal while
    on chemo Kim.
    Hugs!
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Sorry Kim
    I don't know anything about this, but wanted to let you know I am thinking of you.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    AnneCan said:

Sorry Kim
    I don't know anything about this, but wanted to let you know I am thinking of you.

I am thinking that Lymphocytes
    are part of the immune system are they White Blood Cell counts and there needs to be a certain number to allow chemo treatment to resume.....I am thinking that they are mostly the same as White blood cells.............Buzz
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Clift is right
    Lymphocytes are specialized white blood cells that represent 25-40% of the body's total blood count. They increase while fighting infections or immune diseases (cancer is one of them). There are 3 forms: B cells, T cells, and natural killer (NK) cells. Chemo will definitely decrease them.

Below is a good link from Harvard Medical School about boosting your lympocytes. It talks about diet, exercise, supplements, etc. With your GI tract issues, foods might now be an option for you. I had great luck with astragalus, garlic, probiotics, and a good multivitamin back in 2005. I also drank a pretty expensive juice called Mangosteen Juice. FYI, the probiotics will help with your GI issues too!

http://www.health.harvard.edu/flu-resource-center/how-to-boost-your-immune-system.htm

Hope it helps,
    Lisa P.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    scouty said:

Clift is right
    Lymphocytes are specialized white blood cells that represent 25-40% of the body's total blood count. They increase while fighting infections or immune diseases (cancer is one of them). There are 3 forms: B cells, T cells, and natural killer (NK) cells. Chemo will definitely decrease them.

Below is a good link from Harvard Medical School about boosting your lympocytes. It talks about diet, exercise, supplements, etc. With your GI tract issues, foods might now be an option for you. I had great luck with astragalus, garlic, probiotics, and a good multivitamin back in 2005. I also drank a pretty expensive juice called Mangosteen Juice. FYI, the probiotics will help with your GI issues too!

http://www.health.harvard.edu/flu-resource-center/how-to-boost-your-immune-system.htm

Hope it helps,
    Lisa P.

Thanks
    I'll try any thing. Just bought some honey bee pollen that is supposed to help, so will see. Thanks all for all of your suggestions.

Hugs! Kim