another drain question

Options
anaumann
anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does the fluid ever stop draining all at once or will it be a gradual decrease. Mine continues to drain appox 35cc per day. It is five weeks since surgery. DR says everyone is different. Your opinions and advise would be appreciated as always. ann

Comments

• shelbyhome
    shelbyhome Member Posts: 145
    Options
    I had a drain on both sides
    I had a drain on both sides when I had my bilateral masectomy and the one side came out in a week and the other was 3 weeks so everyone is different and don't take them out to early! Hugs
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options

I had a drain on both sides
    I had a drain on both sides when I had my bilateral masectomy and the one side came out in a week and the other was 3 weeks so everyone is different and don't take them out to early! Hugs

drain
    i had a lumpectomy may 2009 my drain tube stayed in for over a month before it came out . i just had a mastectomy sep 28,2010 the drain got caught on something so it came out 8 days after surgery and i am still having fluid build up so i go in this morning to have a new drain put in. usually i think if you get 30cc a day or under out the drain can be pulled out i was still up to 70cc a day when my drain came out. everyone is different i know how you feel i seem to like to drain a lot also. it should start decreasing slowly mine never stopped all at once.

wishing you the best

teresa
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Onhe of my drains was taken
    Onhe of my drains was taken out at 2 weeks - it was down to about 5 - 10 cc a day. Had no problem with it coming out. Other drain was still draining 25 - 35 cc a day after 4 weeks - Dr' took it out then s he thought that it was causing irritation that was keeping the it draining. Bad idea - by 15 weeks post surgery the CT showed that it was still a 3 x 5 cm seroma. It had been drained several times.

Susan
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    teresa41 said:

drain
    i had a lumpectomy may 2009 my drain tube stayed in for over a month before it came out . i just had a mastectomy sep 28,2010 the drain got caught on something so it came out 8 days after surgery and i am still having fluid build up so i go in this morning to have a new drain put in. usually i think if you get 30cc a day or under out the drain can be pulled out i was still up to 70cc a day when my drain came out. everyone is different i know how you feel i seem to like to drain a lot also. it should start decreasing slowly mine never stopped all at once.

wishing you the best

teresa

Yes, we're all different
    I had my drain from my lumpectomy for 5 weeks--the surgeon would not take it out until it was less than 30 per day for 3 consecutive days. The amount of drainage did go up and down--some days I'd get down to 20 and think, Yippee--it's coming out soon. And then, the next day, it would be up to 45 again. Felt like forever. But now---just a memory.

Good luck--it'll happen.

Hugs, Renee
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Onhe of my drains was taken
    Onhe of my drains was taken out at 2 weeks - it was down to about 5 - 10 cc a day. Had no problem with it coming out. Other drain was still draining 25 - 35 cc a day after 4 weeks - Dr' took it out then s he thought that it was causing irritation that was keeping the it draining. Bad idea - by 15 weeks post surgery the CT showed that it was still a 3 x 5 cm seroma. It had been drained several times.

Susan

It depends on the surgeon and the size of each drain and
    tubing .. 1 time I had 2 drains fairly small, and another time I had a larger drain and tubing .. both sizes hurt and are pain in the butts .. however, they both did the trick and excess fluids left my body. No longer than 2 weeks in each case. Please check with your doctor or his staff.

Best of luck ..

Strength and Courage - Vick Sam
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

It depends on the surgeon and the size of each drain and
    tubing .. 1 time I had 2 drains fairly small, and another time I had a larger drain and tubing .. both sizes hurt and are pain in the butts .. however, they both did the trick and excess fluids left my body. No longer than 2 weeks in each case. Please check with your doctor or his staff.

Best of luck ..

Strength and Courage - Vick Sam

I guess I am the oddity! I
    I guess I am the oddity! I had mine in for 2 weeks and the last week it was all dried up. Hurt like hell coming out but I figured it was because it was so dry.
    So far no problems with lymphadema, I guess everyone is different.
    Wanda
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    Mmmm interesting
    I had my second mast last thursday, and Im taking it out tomorrow. My Dr. says less than 50cc a day for 3 days,remove. I kept it an extra few days just because we went out of state and I didnt want him to be whiney. My daughter is also a nurse and she's going to remove it for me. im taking a pic and sending it to him. lol Guess everyone doc has their own opion. Don't worry it will be fine. Katz
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Ann
    everyone is different. I had drains on both sides from bilateral mastectomy. My output was down to 5-10cc so dr removed them 10 days after surgery. I sympathize as 5 weeks is a long time.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    I agree, everyone is different!
    I had bilat. mast., one side the drains came out right on time, the other took months and a couple reinserted drain before it finally resolved itself. Everything is good now! Sometime it just takes awhile for your body to get used to the changes. Good luck..and be patient..hugs..alison
  • carriesoup
    carriesoup Member Posts: 144
    Options
    i had mine in for 2 weeks
    i had mine in for 2 weeks after my lumpectomy. i had 2, one for my lymph nodes and 1 for my breast. my surgeon removed them, once there was less than 20cc for 3 days. i heard it didn't hurt, but it was really painful! one got stuck, and she was yanking on it. thinking about it still brings back painful memories. lol. maybe it was because they were dry, i'm not sure... remember: deep breaths!

*hugs*

carrie :)
  • lisalis
    lisalis Member Posts: 2
    Options
    missrenee said:

Yes, we're all different
    I had my drain from my lumpectomy for 5 weeks--the surgeon would not take it out until it was less than 30 per day for 3 consecutive days. The amount of drainage did go up and down--some days I'd get down to 20 and think, Yippee--it's coming out soon. And then, the next day, it would be up to 45 again. Felt like forever. But now---just a memory.

Good luck--it'll happen.

Hugs, Renee

seroma
    Hi Miss renee

Did your seroma ever go away? I'm freaking out about this. I had a lumpectomy and some nodes removed dec 17 1 week later a huge tennis ball lump in my arm pit. my doc drained it and it came right back!! I am freaking. I am group fitness instructor and teach lots of classes a week. I wonder if this will have a negative effect. I feel as if this is permanent. It scares me to see that some women seem to have this forever!!
    LIsa
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It Should Taper Down Week by Week
    At least that's how mine was. It took me a good four weeks until the fluid was so little that they finally decided to take it out. So...for those doctors that say "oh, we'll take it out in 3 days"...I say BS! I remember becoming completely mental the longer they kept it in! It just got so sore and annoying. I almost pulled it out myself! LOL.

So...be patient. It will get to a point that they will take it out and your body will obsorb any little fluid that still may be produced.

I feel for ya! :)

Blessings,
    Sally