Flu shot ?

Options
Nana2
Nana2 Member Posts: 255
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
What do you all think about flu shots? Should Jim have one? Should I get one to help protect him? We never have gotten them.
Thanks

Comments

• Lifeisajourney
    Lifeisajourney Member Posts: 216
    Options
    My husband and I have never had flu shots
    and we are 67/70. Debate it every year and doing so now. Will both get it if we decide we should. Onc said I fall in the category of getting it, but didn't insist. Just mostly wanted to tell you I think your picture is great.....Pat
  • LOUSWIFT
    LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    FLU
    My onc insisted that I and my wife both get them, If I get the flu it would delay my scheduled chemo and if my wife gets the flu she may not be able to help me should I need it. It made sense which is so lacking from most doctors.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Hi Nana:
    George has never had a flu shot. I got one last year, first time, when I had my annual physical. My personal doc just said at your age, you should be getting the flu shot. I almost told her I know my age, I look in the mirror every day, she means well but she is very young and a little too serious sometimes.

Yesterday we were at George's onc's office and there was a sign, "Check with Dr. Khan before getting a H1NI or Flu shot".

How is Jim doing? You will love the Grand Canyon. We were out there a couple of years ago before cancer. Some other National Parks out there are really spectacular but they may involve a little too much walking for Jim and when we went George kinda sat down and I went hiking but to be honest, not much fun by yourself. Enjoy the trip.

Take care - Tina
  • Nana2
    Options
    geotina said:

Hi Nana:
    George has never had a flu shot. I got one last year, first time, when I had my annual physical. My personal doc just said at your age, you should be getting the flu shot. I almost told her I know my age, I look in the mirror every day, she means well but she is very young and a little too serious sometimes.

Yesterday we were at George's onc's office and there was a sign, "Check with Dr. Khan before getting a H1NI or Flu shot".

How is Jim doing? You will love the Grand Canyon. We were out there a couple of years ago before cancer. Some other National Parks out there are really spectacular but they may involve a little too much walking for Jim and when we went George kinda sat down and I went hiking but to be honest, not much fun by yourself. Enjoy the trip.

Take care - Tina

Thanks for the info Tina,
    Thanks for the info Tina, Jim is doing okay. Got hooked up for his 4th treatment today. He gets severe jaw pain any time he takes a bite or drink of anything, and his hands and feet will bother him, but he seems okay otherwise. We are thinking of going to the Grand Canyon in April. The weather should be nice and he will have finished chemo by March. How is George doing?
  • Nana2
    Options

My husband and I have never had flu shots
    and we are 67/70. Debate it every year and doing so now. Will both get it if we decide we should. Onc said I fall in the category of getting it, but didn't insist. Just mostly wanted to tell you I think your picture is great.....Pat

Thanks Pat, somewhere I have
    Thanks Pat, somewhere I have the photo of our hands like that on our wedding day. We took that picture last Wednesday on our anniversary.
  • Nana2
    Options
    LOUSWIFT said:

FLU
    My onc insisted that I and my wife both get them, If I get the flu it would delay my scheduled chemo and if my wife gets the flu she may not be able to help me should I need it. It made sense which is so lacking from most doctors.

Jim's Doctor just told us he
    Jim's Doctor just told us he can get it if he wants to......
  • Nana2
    Options
    LOUSWIFT said:

FLU

I wish our Doctor had been
    I wish our Doctor had been more clear. I want to know if it is a risk to him to get the shot because I know his immune system is down right now. Maybe we'll call and ask some more questions. I guess I could get one in the mean time. Thanks.
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Nana2 said:

Thanks for the info Tina,
    Thanks for the info Tina, Jim is doing okay. Got hooked up for his 4th treatment today. He gets severe jaw pain any time he takes a bite or drink of anything, and his hands and feet will bother him, but he seems okay otherwise. We are thinking of going to the Grand Canyon in April. The weather should be nice and he will have finished chemo by March. How is George doing?

I hate the jaw pain. I don't
    I hate the jaw pain. I don't have it much with Folfori, but it was terrible with Folfox.
    I'd never had a flu shot prior to last year. My onc mightily insisted that I get one. NO problems - No Flu. Although I never had the Flu anyway.
    Take Care - Roger
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator