Clean mammogram today - when does the anxiety get better?

Options
2»

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Hubby said:

30 years from now when you
    30 years from now when you get your new super-duper, high tech, "Star Trek" like scan, you will probably still cry. Live long and dance with NED.

CONGRATS!!!!

Bob

Doesn't Take 30 years
    Dear Bob,

I stop being afraid of mammogram when I had my 1st recurrence, 4 years after being dx. I never become anxious, scared or worried, during or while waiting for the results, especially a mammogram.

Some women will have a recurrence in the breast, but most won't.

As the quote goes "Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy!"

Sixteen years later, I fear little. I do admit that I pick up the results of my scans and for a few minutes, until I've read the results, I hold my breath.

Being stage IV with so many other medical conditions has made me become dauntless.

SIROD
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    sea60 said:

That's great news!!
    It's not easy having to have tests and "waiting" for the results. I can only share what I've done and it really does help me so much. If I didn't do this, I'd totally be a basket case.

I have my favorite promises from God. Especially those on fear. And girl, I just think about them every single time fear tries to creep in. I had scheduled a sonogram last week for this past Monday and during those 5 days of "waiting" I just did that. I really enjoyed my weekend. I believe He's faithful in His word. Try it next time. The thoughts I reflect are: "You are my hiding place" "You are my Shelter", "You command your angels to go before us in protection" are just a few.

And at night, when fear or worry can take over, I think of "I will lie down in peace and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe"

Hugs to ya!!

Sylvia

Thanks
    Sylvia -
    Thanks for your inspirational verses. They really resonate with me. I always appreciate what you have to say,
    And Tracy - great news! I'm so happy that your news was so positive! I am only ending radiation this week, so I can't address your fears at this point - it's too soon.

Linda
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    linpsu said:

Thanks
    Sylvia -
    Thanks for your inspirational verses. They really resonate with me. I always appreciate what you have to say,
    And Tracy - great news! I'm so happy that your news was so positive! I am only ending radiation this week, so I can't address your fears at this point - it's too soon.

Linda

Thank you all
    Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words, and for sharing your experiences. I do hope that the "scanxiety" will get better as the years go on, and I keep trying to remind myself that I've only been on this journey for a year and a half, and to give myself a break.

Stef, I really like your philosophy about not letting worry about tomorrow ruin a perfectly good today, and not wasting time worrying about something that may or may not even happen, and that I can't change anyway. I remember reading a post from you about that soon after I joined, and I've thought about your words many times over the past year, and over the past week.

Unfortunately...so far, I SUCK at trying to follow your advice!! :-) But I'm going to get more practice every 6 months for quite awhile, so I'll keep working at it!

Traci
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Thank you all
    Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words, and for sharing your experiences. I do hope that the "scanxiety" will get better as the years go on, and I keep trying to remind myself that I've only been on this journey for a year and a half, and to give myself a break.

Stef, I really like your philosophy about not letting worry about tomorrow ruin a perfectly good today, and not wasting time worrying about something that may or may not even happen, and that I can't change anyway. I remember reading a post from you about that soon after I joined, and I've thought about your words many times over the past year, and over the past week.

Unfortunately...so far, I SUCK at trying to follow your advice!! :-) But I'm going to get more practice every 6 months for quite awhile, so I'll keep working at it!

Traci

Traci,
    Well, the good thing

Traci,
    Well, the good thing with you practicing my advice is that if you reach that point all on your own in lessening the worry factor, I will get the credit. LOL
    It's perfectly okay to worry. Worry can keep us vigilant and on our toes in doing our checkups and bringing up anything that is even slightly out of the norm to our doctor's attention. So worry has a valid place in the scheme of things.
    Stef
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Thank you all

Traci

Me Too!
    Hi Traci, I was in your shoes yesterday, my one year....Scared and very nervous, glad to say my mamo came out Great and I had the Best day ever.
    Now in six months I will still be on the edge of my seat, waiting to see the expression on the nurses face and praying that I can give her a Big Kiss and Hug when I leave instead of tears.
    I'm a La La at times, I guess its because my mom has a reacurance after 20 years, and that I'm triple negative.
    And just plain scared at times.
    I'm so Happy for you and we will hold each others Cyber hands in six months.
    Karie
  • patti anne
    patti anne Member Posts: 101
    Options
    weazer said:

Me Too!
    Hi Traci, I was in your shoes yesterday, my one year....Scared and very nervous, glad to say my mamo came out Great and I had the Best day ever.
    Now in six months I will still be on the edge of my seat, waiting to see the expression on the nurses face and praying that I can give her a Big Kiss and Hug when I leave instead of tears.
    I'm a La La at times, I guess its because my mom has a reacurance after 20 years, and that I'm triple negative.
    And just plain scared at times.
    I'm so Happy for you and we will hold each others Cyber hands in six months.
    Karie

I don't know when either
    I don't know when or if the anxiety ever goes away. Yay, yay, yay!! for your clear mammo.

Patti
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options

I don't know when either
    I don't know when or if the anxiety ever goes away. Yay, yay, yay!! for your clear mammo.

Patti

haven't a clue
    I haven't a clue about how to answer your question, but just wanted to say congrats on the clean mammo.
    Marsha
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Happy for you
    I'm not at my 1 year point yet.
    I am so happy for you Traci!! :)
    hugs to ya!
    Annette
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    I
    am pretty much just fine throughout the year until it is mammogram time(or pap test for that matter).
    I am 3 years out of my diagnosis,and no matter how strong I feel,yeah,just the thought of going in makes me nervous-cuz you always hope for the best but you never know.
    And like Christmas Girl,I am thankful that I pretty much have been able to get the results the same day!
    My hat is off to anyone who doesn't get nervous about the mammo or any scan after being diagnosed!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Traci
    I'm so happy for you in having a clear mammo for the 2nd time. I think the anxiety is more than we realize and your crying was part of that. I'm glad your girlfriend was able to go with you. Take a deep breath and believe that you are in the clear now. Celebrate!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Congrats
    I just got the ok of just going back to annaul mammos (instead of every 3-6mths)-so great to hear Thumbs UP! way to go...

Honestly I have never been nervous going for mammos? Even when they called me back 2008 for next day I said I am sure nothing-then Biopsy thought oh nothing...then call to call surgeon-changed my thinking!

So happy to hear good news for you!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

I
    am pretty much just fine throughout the year until it is mammogram time(or pap test for that matter).
    I am 3 years out of my diagnosis,and no matter how strong I feel,yeah,just the thought of going in makes me nervous-cuz you always hope for the best but you never know.
    And like Christmas Girl,I am thankful that I pretty much have been able to get the results the same day!
    My hat is off to anyone who doesn't get nervous about the mammo or any scan after being diagnosed!

still not nervous
    I dont' know why I have never been nervous about my mammos! Even 2008 When I was called and asked if I could go back the next day. When I went I said I am sure it's nothing. Then Biopsy-then called surgeon-then realized it was. I have gone every 3-6 mths post radiation. I just had my last mammo last week and got the ok NOW I only have to go ONCE a year...So I was HAPPY to hear that!

I have NO cancer in my family, very very low chance of cancer (weight, health etc) yet I GOT It! I am just happy I went regularly & caught mine so early!
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    Options

Congrats
    I just got the ok of just going back to annaul mammos (instead of every 3-6mths)-so great to hear Thumbs UP! way to go...

Honestly I have never been nervous going for mammos? Even when they called me back 2008 for next day I said I am sure nothing-then Biopsy thought oh nothing...then call to call surgeon-changed my thinking!

So happy to hear good news for you!

So happy
    Traci so happy to hear you are dancing..I am dusting off those tap shoes tonight....
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    waffle8 said:

So happy
    Traci so happy to hear you are dancing..I am dusting off those tap shoes tonight....

Good news!
    Traci, glad to hear all is well. As far as anxiety is concerned, I am almost three years out from diagnosis, and still get anxious with every test ordered. Guess it is a little easier these past few times, but always in the back of my mind. Just so happy for you. Go kick up your heels, and tell NED hello for us. Hugs, Judy
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Congratulations, Traci!
    And, Good Grief! I've been wondering the same thing! My canserversary is Thursday and I have my mammo Friday. Holding my breath. Even though I was clear in April, I feel like the Boogieman is in the closet waiting to catch me unaware.

But I am so very happy for you! Exhale and celebrate!

Hugs to you,

Sue

Congratulations Traci on the
    Congratulations Traci on the clean mammo! That is so great! I just take one day at a time and try not to worry about what may or what if. It makes life a lot better.

Hugs, Kylez