The Ox in FOLFOX by Dr. Seuss? Chemo round 1

Options
2»

Comments

• Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Yer giving me flashbacks.
    Yer giving me flashbacks. You are having a harder time than I did, but I'll never forget the shards of glass in my throat and needles in my socks. I had to warm everything I drank. I finished OXI last Feb. A few days ago I walked across the floor barefooted for the first time since Sept '09. I still have a few pins and needles, but it's gotten a lot better. Hang in there Lori. It will be worth it. The greatest effect of Oxi is that it destroys cancer.

I'm doing Folfori now. It's much easier. I still hate the 5FU, or as I like to call it - F*ck you 5 times.

Stay strong and focussed.
    Rofger
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    LOUSWIFT said:

wow
    Gee Lori I feel guilty that my minor problems with Folfox now thru threatment #2 seems so minor compare to you. I do have sensitivity to cold on my fingers now and come and go nausea but not bad. I'm not even taking meds. Only downside is my platelets are getting low and not coming back up. But I have always had low platelets since radiation four years ago. Be sure to hydrate like crazy to flush out the oxi when you're unplugged. It's done its job no need to linger inside and build up and cause problems. You wont get it all but may be enough to help feel better. For me the worst has been the 3-4 days after being unplugged that is not good but time will tell. I get unplugged tomorrow. Sounds like you need a hug from a very rough start. Hope it gets better. Lou

Thanks Lou
    You set such a good example for me with your last one that I thought I'd emulate you. Oh well. I'm sure next time will go smoother for me.

I'm unplugged tomorrow too. Sorry about your low platelets. I'm hoping that they come back up for you so you get your next round. I don't want to catch up with you. ;) Hugs are appreciated!
  • Crow71 said:

Yer giving me flashbacks.
    Yer giving me flashbacks. You are having a harder time than I did, but I'll never forget the shards of glass in my throat and needles in my socks. I had to warm everything I drank. I finished OXI last Feb. A few days ago I walked across the floor barefooted for the first time since Sept '09. I still have a few pins and needles, but it's gotten a lot better. Hang in there Lori. It will be worth it. The greatest effect of Oxi is that it destroys cancer.

I'm doing Folfori now. It's much easier. I still hate the 5FU, or as I like to call it - F*ck you 5 times.

Stay strong and focussed.
    Rofger

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Kenny H. said:

Hope its gets easier for
    Hope its gets easier for you. Started my 1st treatment today also. All went ok till I got home forgot & got a glass of COLD juice from frig....YIKES, remembered real quick.
    Was ok at room temp though. No fatigue yet & still getting used to carrying pump around.
    They taking it off thurs.

They gave me these and was shocked at some of the prices.

Benadryl 2.00 ins allows .95
    Dicadion 1.60 ins allows .88
    Zofian 20.00 " " 5.40
    5fu 48.00 " " 22.44
    Eloxatin 5,200 " " 3560.00
    Admin ? 275.00 " " 168.87

Glad I have already met my deductables.

Kenny
    Welcome to the club. UGH Watch out for the first glass of drink. Don't know about you but, I keep forgetting my pump is attached to my chest especially at night when I wake up to use the bathroom. I get disconnected today (Weds).

I'm glad that you had a smooth 1st treatment. Hope it goes nice and smooth for you all the way to the last treatment. woo hoo on already paying your deductible!
  • WhatsA_Mom2Do
    WhatsA_Mom2Do Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Oh my
    As my 1 1/2 year old says..."oh my guudnezz"! LOL Lori, I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh at your story...although what you are experiencing is FAR from funny! But honeygirl, let me tell you this...I don't know what your profession, but you definitely have a career in comedy! Tooooo cute! I always thought your smile was so bright and sunny, and now I see why. You are hilarious!

Ok, on a serious note (snicker).....I hope that next time the properly premedicate you now that you've had such a reaction to the chemo. Wow, 30mg of Benadryl would have me flat on my butt for days (and I've got a big butt!LOL).

When my son was on Oxy (he only tolerated 6 doses before he said enough), I would give him warm, very diluted, peppermint tea. It helped with hydration and with nausea. I would also make him warm lemonade (also diluted), which is something I used to make for him as a kid (hot lemonade) when he was sickly from asthma. I had forgotten all about it until he asked for it one day while he was feeling yucky from the chemo.

I pray the next round goes to you....by TKO. :-)

All the best,

Dee
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Lori-S said:

Holly
    Ugh ... I've always been sensitive to drugs and chemicals (even alcohol). A real lightweight. The Oxi? Satan in a bag is a good name for it! Thanks for checking in on me.

Since you couldn't drink room temp either do you have some suggestions for staying hydrated? I'd like to try and flush some of this stuff out of my system but, I'm sick of hot chocolate and coffee and tea don't hydrate. What did you drink on those days?

I could tolerate warm/hot
    I could tolerate warm/hot water. Yep, just plain ole water. It wasn't bad and in fact, quite easy to get down.

I remember taking a drink of diet coke after a treatment, and the carbonation made my mouth hurt for many minutes. LOL I wouldn't suggest that.
  • traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    liked the poem, love Dr. Suess
    Wish the rest of the post was as good. It sounds like the oxy is going to be a problem for you, I'm so sorry. Make sure they take it very slow and you can get the Benedryl every time. I did and it really helped.