Glucose lever way to high

Options
Annette 11
Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my 3rd. chemo yesterday and i did real well. Didn't feel like my head was going to explode. One problem though. My blood work that came back from the lab from the previous Mon. showed my glucose level to be at 119,lab flagged it HIGH. My glucose was always in the 80"s. I was so surprised. I questioned it after chemo but PA had already left and Doc. was not in the office. Hopefully when I go back today for Nuelasta shot I will be able to speak to someone about this spike. I'm afraid this will go into diabetes. This blood was taken in the afternoon so I did't fast...if that makes a big difference, I don't know.
Has this happened to any you ladies?? Is ths something to be concerned about? I felt good when I got home last night about 6pm I went right out for a 2 mile walk. I don't excersize like I used to but i must now and the weather is getting cooler so I will.
Please let me know ladies, if you have heard about a temporary spike due to chemo and does glucose drop when chemo is over or is this the start of diabetes?
I hope I can talk to someone when I go back today but who knows.
Thank you !
Annette

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Was that a fasting glucose?
    Was that a fasting glucose? The glucose test that you had was merely a screen. If it was done at a random time and not fasting, normal would be less than 140. Chances are you have a healthy pancreas that was just clearing a donut? ;-)
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    Annette,
    Some chemos or pre

Annette,

Some chemos or pre meds do raise your glucose levels but only for a couple of days. I am a diabetic and had to watch my sugar levels closely while taking chemo. Not to worry you will probably get back to normal soon.

Hugs

Donna
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Annette
    During Chemo my Glucose level was high also, at one point it was 156. I too was worried about Diabetes, but my Onc didn't seem too concerned. (You should discuss this with your doc though just to make sure.) The good news is, YES, it did go down after finishing Chemo!
    ♥ Cat
  • Annette 11
    Options

Was that a fasting glucose? The glucose test that you had was merely a screen. If it was done at a random time and not fasting, normal would be less than 140. Chances are you have a healthy pancreas that was just clearing a donut? ;-)

Cynthia
    Cynthia, No I didn't fast. In the past before cancer I would always fast and it was in the 80's. I was shocked when I say 119 to say the least.
    I thought over 120 is diabetes? Yes my pancreas is good and healthy.
  • Annette 11
    Options
    Cat64 said:

Annette
    During Chemo my Glucose level was high also, at one point it was 156. I too was worried about Diabetes, but my Onc didn't seem too concerned. (You should discuss this with your doc though just to make sure.) The good news is, YES, it did go down after finishing Chemo!
    ♥ Cat

Oh, that's very encouraging
    Thanks Cat, I have one more chemo left in three weeks so maybe mine will drop to normal after that too. Did you excersize to help it drop?
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    if you are getting steroids with your chemo, that can affect
    if you are getting steroids with your chemo, that can affect your blood glucose levels. if you are not diabetic, don't be too concerned, your levels will go back to normal when you are done with chemo.

♫♥´¯`•.¸¸.♥♫ Heidijez ♫♥´¯`•.¸¸.♥♫
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Oh, that's very encouraging
    Thanks Cat, I have one more chemo left in three weeks so maybe mine will drop to normal after that too. Did you excersize to help it drop?

You're
    Welcome! Hopefully it is just the Chemo. I can't say that I did exercise, unless you consider following around a 2 year old exercise, then yes I did! :-)
    The only thing I may have done to help it drop, other than finishing Chemo, would be coming to terms with my junk food addiction and becoming more conscience of what I eat.
    I found that it took about a month after completion of Chemo for some of my counts to get back to normal, some even 2 or more. Will you be doing Radiation also?
    Good Luck on your last one! Let us know when you become a Chemo Grad so we can celebrate along with you!
    ♥ Cat
  • Annette 11
    Options
    Cat64 said:

You're
    Welcome! Hopefully it is just the Chemo. I can't say that I did exercise, unless you consider following around a 2 year old exercise, then yes I did! :-)
    The only thing I may have done to help it drop, other than finishing Chemo, would be coming to terms with my junk food addiction and becoming more conscience of what I eat.
    I found that it took about a month after completion of Chemo for some of my counts to get back to normal, some even 2 or more. Will you be doing Radiation also?
    Good Luck on your last one! Let us know when you become a Chemo Grad so we can celebrate along with you!
    ♥ Cat

Cat,
    Cat, No they haven't mentioned radiation to me. So I'm thinking not.
    Yes, I will SHOUT loud and clear when chemo is done. I will be happy to get on with my life.
    Thanks,
    Annette
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options

Cynthia
    Cynthia, No I didn't fast. In the past before cancer I would always fast and it was in the 80's. I was shocked when I say 119 to say the least.
    I thought over 120 is diabetes? Yes my pancreas is good and healthy.

Hope this helps
    The type of glucose test that you had is also called a random or casual test. It is used for screening only. Your test was flagged because it was assumed by your lab that it was a fasting blood sugar (meaning you had not eaten for at least 8 hrs).

http://www.livestrong.com/article/15891-what-average-blood-sugar-level/

"The random blood sugar test, unlike other tests that must be given at specific times in relation to eating or drinking, may be administered at any time. A blood sugar level higher than 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) may indicate a prediabetic condition. If the reading goes above 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L), the Mayo Clinic reports, Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes is suspected and additional tests may be needed."

Your level, although a little high for you, is still normal. Infection, illness, stress and chemo can all raise blood sugar. Considering all you are going through, your level is fine. Just keep following it while you are on chemo--which, of course, you will!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

You maybe should have
    You maybe should have fasted. I actually think you are suppose to, but, I can't remember for sure. It seems I always have to fast anytime anymore that they take blood.

Let us know,

Debby
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

Cat,
    Cat, No they haven't mentioned radiation to me. So I'm thinking not.
    Yes, I will SHOUT loud and clear when chemo is done. I will be happy to get on with my life.
    Thanks,
    Annette

Hey Annette
    I am a type 2 diabetic. Mine has been under control really well since about a year after I was dx as diabetic (about 5yrs ago) Mine was high during chemo because of the steroids on the day of trt. it would get up close to 300. Mine had NEVER been that high and I was worried. They told me that was normal and it was always back in a good range within 2 days of trt. If it was not a fasting test then that is not to bad especially if you had eaten an hour or 2 before blood draw. I would still ask the PA or someone though. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Annette 11
    Options
    I did ask onc. nurse
    Thank you everyone. you put me at ease until I could get in to see my onc. nurse after my neulasta shot and she said the same thing not to worry about it. It is the steriods as you all told me. It is such a blessing that we sisters are here for each other. It is such a comfort.
    Hugs :)
    Annette
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    before dx
    I know that for me, after my surgery and daily Arimidex, things started falling apart.
    My glucose was high; now I am Type II diabetic. My thyroid enlarged and has 3 nodules.
    Now I have a nodule in my throat. We are playing the waiting game.
    It just seems weird to me, that one day perfect bloodwork, and then a year later all of this.
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    before dx
    i clicked twice, sorry, i can't seem to delete this one.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

before dx
    i clicked twice, sorry, i can't seem to delete this one.

I am not a diabetic either,
    I am not a diabetic either, at one point my BS was 300, my onc freaked also my potassium was 2.7 I said "well what do you expect you gave decadron then gave me a fluid bolus with dextrose in it?" then drew the BS. The next day it was fine.