drain tube is going back in!

Options
teresa41
teresa41 Member Posts: 471
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i had a mastectomy on sep 28 my drain tube pulled out 8 days after surgery, the surgeon had no choice but to pull it out. i have went in 5 times since for needle aspirations so the surgeon is going to put the drain tube back in tommorrow morning.

teresa

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Teresa, I know the drains
    Teresa, I know the drains are not a lot of fun, but if it keeps you from having to go back and forth to the doctor's office for aspirations, it should be worth it. This, too, shall pass and you will be on the road to living. I'll be thinking of you this morning and I hope all goes smoothly. Take care.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Oh darn! I am so sorry that
    Oh darn! I am so sorry that you have to have the drain. It will get better though. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options

Oh darn! I am so sorry that
    Oh darn! I am so sorry that you have to have the drain. It will get better though. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bummer~
    Drain tubes were never my favorite thing (to have removed, let alone put back in!). Hopefully they will do a quick job eliminating that fluid this time~
    I will be thinking of you, and praying all goes better than hoped for.
    ~Melanie
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I'm so sorry you have to go
    I'm so sorry you have to go through that. Why did they have to take it out soon? You will be feeling better soon. Take care your in my prayers, Kay,
  • anaumann
    anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry you have to go
    I'm so sorry you have to go through that. Why did they have to take it out soon? You will be feeling better soon. Take care your in my prayers, Kay,

drain
    I had my masectomy 9/22 and had my drains out after about 2wks, but one was reinserted and is still in and draining too much to be removed. Next week I am supposed to start chemo. the surgeon said it wouldn't start with the drain but the oncologist says it is healed enough around the drain to start chemo. Has this happened to anyone out there. How long can this keep draining. ann
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry Teresa!
    I'm sorry to hear that - i know how uncomfortable they can be & seem to just get in the way of everything. My mom had to have a drain tube re-inserted also. She had lumpectomy & 11 lymph nodes removed - original drain tube was in for about a month. Less than a week after it ws removed, she had swelling, redness, and infection. Put on antibiotics, drained 80cc of fluid in the hospital, and re-inserted a drain tube for 3 or 4 days. It's been out a few days now & so far, so good.
    I had 3 tubes after my mastectomy, came home from hospital with 2, and both were removed within a week with no problems. Everyone's different. I hope you don't have to have the tube in for very long - but at least you dont have to keep going back & forth for aspirations.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options

I'm sorry Teresa!
    I'm sorry to hear that - i know how uncomfortable they can be & seem to just get in the way of everything. My mom had to have a drain tube re-inserted also. She had lumpectomy & 11 lymph nodes removed - original drain tube was in for about a month. Less than a week after it ws removed, she had swelling, redness, and infection. Put on antibiotics, drained 80cc of fluid in the hospital, and re-inserted a drain tube for 3 or 4 days. It's been out a few days now & so far, so good.
    I had 3 tubes after my mastectomy, came home from hospital with 2, and both were removed within a week with no problems. Everyone's different. I hope you don't have to have the tube in for very long - but at least you dont have to keep going back & forth for aspirations.
    *hugs*
    Heather

thank you
    thank you all for the well wishes it is back in now it wasnt so bad the worst part was the nurse could not find a vein in my good arm for the IV after 3 tries she got it. so hopefully the pesky drain does its job and comes back out soon!

thank you again

teresa
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    teresa41 said:

thank you
    thank you all for the well wishes it is back in now it wasnt so bad the worst part was the nurse could not find a vein in my good arm for the IV after 3 tries she got it. so hopefully the pesky drain does its job and comes back out soon!

thank you again

teresa

Teresa .. I am so sorry to hear that that damnnnnn
    drain tube has been reincerted .. pesky is not how I would describe drain tubes! LOL ..

Best of luck that your drain tube does the job, and it's out soon!

Let us know.

Strength and Courage.

Vicki Sam