Learned something about Facebook that I didn't know

Options
KayNYC
KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I didn't know that what we write here could show up on Facebook. I put the name I use here on these boards in the "search" box on facebook and at the bottom of the search results it showed links to these discussion boards with thngs I had written in the past about my lymphedema and breast swelling. To say the least, it was unsettling... since what I openly discuss here on these boards is not what I would so freely disclose to my coworkers, acquintances and neighbors. Has anyone else tried this on Facebook and found the same thing? Since my user names are similar on these boards, I guess it is possible that someone could make the connection. Thought I'd just let everyone know about my finding.
It won't stop me from posting but I will be more mindful of what I will wtite. In hind sight, it would have been better to pick two totally differ names for Facebook and these boards.

K

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    No but...
    I don't like it. I also thought this info was private but they do warn us that it is open to such things. Guess I never thought about it much.

Roseann
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    This is a public board
    Facebook is where you can keep things private. If you google "kaynyc" you will get all kinds of results, but someone has to know your CSN screen name. If someone were to google "kay breast cancer" they are more likely to link to Mary Kay Cosmetics. Anything you post here can show up on any internet search.

Bob
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Yes...
    The topic Boards here are public; therefore, "open" to internet search engines. As clearly stated by the ACS. Which is why we are cautioned to NOT provide personal identification info (real/full name, addresses, phone numbers, etc.) here on the Board. This is also why the ACS provides us with the Personal Message (PM) feature - which is private, not "open"...

Everywhere & anywhere via the internet - caution is necessary.

Kind regards, Susan
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Live and learn....
    Thanks Bob and Susan for the clarification. I would never post private info such as name, address etc however it was a bit of surprize when I saw the link provided by the search engine that described my lymphedema.I will be mindful in the future, using the private email function instead.
    It was a good reminder of need for cyber safety.
    Hugs, K
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    KayNYC said:

Live and learn....
    Thanks Bob and Susan for the clarification. I would never post private info such as name, address etc however it was a bit of surprize when I saw the link provided by the search engine that described my lymphedema.I will be mindful in the future, using the private email function instead.
    It was a good reminder of need for cyber safety.
    Hugs, K

i have a problem with this
    i have a problem with this also, i was googling something about breast cancer and my post and picture from this site came up. I did not like that because anyone looking up breast cancer can see my ramblings! That is why i took the pic of myself off. I had read about this on another board. It's a bit scary since i have heard that insurance companys look for info on fb and google.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    K........
    You can also get the same result, just by typing your name on Google...
    Once you post anywhere on the internet, it's out there.

CR