The food free for all, such as it was, is over. I am at baseline weight.

staceya
staceya Member Posts: 720
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
I am back to my baseline weight ( and as I am only about 2 feet tall, it isn't much)
I guess it is a good thing, and I shouldn't complain..however..
The trick is going to be not turning into a puffball as it is hard to eat without slathering on the food lubricants (foobricants?) butter, dressing etc.
Any suggestions?
Hard to believe just a few months ago, could hardly eat.
I am grateful for the recovery, but a bit confused.
Stacey

Comments

• Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    I'm With You
    Foobricants??!? Love it!!! I was beating myself up earlier, cause I got take out Chinese, and forgot to ask for a bucket of sauce. Ah well, with limited sauce, I could only eat a reasonable portion, so that's good. I'm with you, though - many foobricants are high calorie and/or high fat, and you can't usually just add broth. Wonder how many different types of stew I can eat/cook? I actually love chili and thick soups like mild gumbo and bumblebee stew, but a lot of them are high calorie, too. I'm lucky because I can eat mild salsa - it's a low call foobricant. Anyone with tips?
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Pam M said:

I'm With You
    Foobricants??!? Love it!!! I was beating myself up earlier, cause I got take out Chinese, and forgot to ask for a bucket of sauce. Ah well, with limited sauce, I could only eat a reasonable portion, so that's good. I'm with you, though - many foobricants are high calorie and/or high fat, and you can't usually just add broth. Wonder how many different types of stew I can eat/cook? I actually love chili and thick soups like mild gumbo and bumblebee stew, but a lot of them are high calorie, too. I'm lucky because I can eat mild salsa - it's a low call foobricant. Anyone with tips?

Hmmmm. Good point on the
    Hmmmm. Good point on the foobricants. I use a lot of butter and hollandaise sauce to get things to slide down. Maybe teeny tiny portion size? Work out to burn more calories? Not that I like either of those options. Wonder if I will get to the point that I need to watch my calories. I was thinking the other day that I really should not be getting used to this. But yah? What the heck do you do when you can't swallow so good and my mouth still freaking burns. I still can't even do stews and gravy. Can't swallow meat and too salty.
    BTW what the heck is bumble bee stew?

The first thing I would cut out if I make weight is my nightly midnight snack of ice cream every night. I don't really like it anyway.
  • adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691
    Fruits and Veggies
    Lots of fruits and veggies anytime you want and really high quality organic spices.
  • sweetblood22

Fruits and Veggies
    Lots of fruits and veggies anytime you want and really high quality organic spices.

Fruits still burn way too
    Fruits still burn way too much for me even at 19 months out. :( I have been doing pretty good with my veggies tho. I need the butter and coconut milk to swallow them though. Lol.
  • sweetblood22

Fruits and Veggies

Fruits still burn way too much for me even at 19 months out. :( I have been doing pretty good with my veggies tho. I need the butter and coconut milk to swallow them though. Lol.
  • staceya

Thanks for the
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Exercise
    I am somewhat lazy (well actually more than somewhat:) but I started taking yoga classes twice a week about 3 weeks ago. I like yoga, it ticks your body into working. It doesn't seem like so much work at the time. i will probably have to step it up a notch, but it is better than my previous regime of reading as sport.

Food
    Veggies OK, even managed cauliflower without butter. which I then followed up with chocolate ice cream!
    Fruit- only a few work, but I am persistent. I imagine apple danish does not count.

I am grateful to be coming along..Thanks for your thoughts.
    Stacey
  • sweetblood22
    staceya said:

Thanks for the
    Exercise
    I am somewhat lazy (well actually more than somewhat:) but I started taking yoga classes twice a week about 3 weeks ago. I like yoga, it ticks your body into working. It doesn't seem like so much work at the time. i will probably have to step it up a notch, but it is better than my previous regime of reading as sport.

Food
    Veggies OK, even managed cauliflower without butter. which I then followed up with chocolate ice cream!
    Fruit- only a few work, but I am persistent. I imagine apple danish does not count.

Stacey

You are so funny!
    As you know, I started yoga last week, seems like a lot of work to me! I could hardly keep up there for a while. But hey, I'm trying! :)

Darn if apple Danish don't count then probably that apple cake I am making doest either. I intend on making it anyway. :)

I am way lazy Stace. The worst. That's why I need someone standing over me making me move. I would never do this on my own at home. Although I was practicing my belly dance moves at home. :)
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Pam M said:

I'm With You

I agree with Sweet
    Recipe for bumblebee stew, please.
  • adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691

fruit burn
    Sorry to hear that Sweet. Now I'm concerned I'll have the same issue. I just love the fruit so much. Does lightly cooking the fruit help at all?
  • nkimber
    nkimber Member Posts: 46

fruit burn
    Sorry to hear that Sweet. Now I'm concerned I'll have the same issue. I just love the fruit so much. Does lightly cooking the fruit help at all?

acidic?
    Maybe it's just the more acidic fruits like citrus and pineapple that cause the problems? Hopefully :)
  • sweetblood22
    nkimber said:

acidic?
    Maybe it's just the more acidic fruits like citrus and pineapple that cause the problems? Hopefully :)

I wouldn't go by me
    Water still burns with me. Unfortunately it's not just say, oranges or pinapples. But I think I was a sort of worst case scenario. You will probably be fine with fruits in a short time.
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Cold Pressed Olive Oil
    Best thing for food lube. I have 1/3 to 1/2 a cup a day on salads etc. It's healthy and works a treat. A better option than graveys, sauces and dressings that are full of not so good stuff (especially not for us anyway).

Scam
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    staceya said:

Thanks for the
    Exercise

Food

Stacey

Happy/Sad
    Stacey, I'm happy to hear that you have returned to your baseline weight but also sad that now you are having a hard time finding healthy foods that don't cause you to gain more weight.

I don't have much advice for you but I do agree with Scam on the Olive Oil, my husband uses this much more now than he ever did, it has so many good uses and is good for you.

I'm still at the stage where if it tastes good and I can eat it then that's what I eat, unfortunately I get tired of these foods and have to find something new every few weeks or I will just give up on eating. I've never been a "sweets" person and a lot of foods still taste too salty or are too spicy for me.

Maybe they make "light" or low cal danish :) Before cancer I was always watching my weight and tried many of the diet or low cal foods and a lot of them aren't too bad. Of course now that our taste buds don't function normally they may not taste as good :(

I'm still at 106 and holding but I think I would feel safer if I gained weight easily again.

If I find any "healthy" foods that you might like I will keep you posted.

My best to all,
    Glenna
  • staceya

Cold Pressed Olive Oil
    Best thing for food lube. I have 1/3 to 1/2 a cup a day on salads etc. It's healthy and works a treat. A better option than graveys, sauces and dressings that are full of not so good stuff (especially not for us anyway).

Scam

I will try the olive oil,
    I will try the olive oil, especially for dipping garlic bread..which of course would go well with tiramisu or cannoli.. and not to forget a coffee drink...mmmm sounds delicious!
    Stacey
  • Pam M
    staceya said:

I will try the olive oil, especially for dipping garlic bread..which of course would go well with tiramisu or cannoli.. and not to forget a coffee drink...mmmm sounds delicious!
    Stacey

yummmm dipping oil
    Must be craving it now - double posted
  • Pam M
    staceya said:

Stacey

yummmm dipping oil
    Love olive oil dips for the wonderful, crispy on the outside WHITE bread.

Actually, I've had it with the amazingly expensive all-natural sprouted grains and seeds bread, and that was yum, too (OK, not as yum, but much better for you).

We do need to be careful, though - it's still oil, so it's very high in calories.
  • Pam M

I agree with Sweet
    Recipe for bumblebee stew, please.

Bumblebee Stew
    Would love to oblige, but can't. The only Bumblebee Stew I've had is from a chain restaurant called J. Gumbo's (cajun). It (the dish, not the restaurant) is vegetarian - primary ingredients are tomatoes, corn, black beans and butter. It is a little spicy and a little sweet. When I saw your posts asking about Bumblebee Stew, I thought "I SHOULD make some - find a recipe". I'm striking out on finding a recipe. Sorry - if I could locate a good recipe, I'd surely share. I would experiment with replacing a good portion of the butter, though.
  • Pam M
    staceya said:

Thanks for the
    Exercise

Food

Stacey

Yummy Meat Sauce
    OK, OK gravy is still king. There is a bar/restaurant my son takes me to that makes a tzatziki (OK - can't spell it) type cucumber sauce with sour cream in it. It's GREAT with grilled chicken - I use it instead of salad dressing. I plan to make some at home, with only yogurt, no sour cream. My only prob is I almost always overcook my chicken, so I've avoided grilling it at home. The sauce is tasty, and really helps the chicken go down. Lettuce, too. I don't get how I can eat tortilla chips, but have to work to get salad down. Oh well.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Pam M said:

Yummy Meat Sauce
    OK, OK gravy is still king. There is a bar/restaurant my son takes me to that makes a tzatziki (OK - can't spell it) type cucumber sauce with sour cream in it. It's GREAT with grilled chicken - I use it instead of salad dressing. I plan to make some at home, with only yogurt, no sour cream. My only prob is I almost always overcook my chicken, so I've avoided grilling it at home. The sauce is tasty, and really helps the chicken go down. Lettuce, too. I don't get how I can eat tortilla chips, but have to work to get salad down. Oh well.

Gravy

I love it when my Wife makes chicken with a lot of gravy, I use it as soup and wash it all down at the same time