Celebration time.... all done with Radiation

Options
sb12
sb12 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm a new member to CSN, for I only discovered this last week. I wish I had found this months ago, for the support and understanding is awesome. Today is "Celebration day" I have completed my last Radiation treatment today.......I was dx w/IDC,IIA,er/pr+ Her2-, had a lumpectomy in July with 33 Rads to follow. Met with my Oncologist and will start Tamoxifen next week........... what a journey this has been, the fear, unknown, and total disbelief. I'm realizing how blessed I am and the support and love from those close to my heart has been overwhelming. My question is, how is life after treatment?

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    yay congratulations!!!

yay congratulations!!!
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi sb12,
    Welcome, this is a great site. Congratulations on finishing your radiation. I know you have to be excited about that!
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options
    carkris said:

yay congratulations!!!

yay congratulations!!!

Good For You1
    Life after treatment is I guess what you make it.
    You have alot more time on your hands, and as far as myself, it was a little wierd because of a whole year worth of surgery, chemo and then rads, it was a little scarey, being with out the constant attention of nurses etc....but it sure felt great to get a bit of freedom from the hospital.
    Congratulations and I hope you get to feeling strong soon.
    Hugs...Karie
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi sb12,
    Welcome, this is a great site. Congratulations on finishing your radiation. I know you have to be excited about that!

Sorry you had to come here
    Sorry you had to come here but great that you are done with the rads. Life after cancer and it's treatment is as varied as cancer itself. Some adjust easily and that is great. For other's the journey after is more difficult. Some face dreadful fear about recurrence, mets and the trauma of their treatment, other not so much. So it's hard to say how it will be for you. But no ones reaction to this is right or wrong. We all have to find our place after treatments and our way through the followups, side effects from treatmnt and drugs and radiation. It can be a short jaunt back but it can also be long. Some find it hard because others are telling to move on and it's all over and they don't feel the "over" part. It's difficult to be over a disease that can come back. Some do okay until it is time for a check up and then the fears come rushing back. So none of us can really tell you how or when you will "have your life back". And many have experienced a new "normal". For me, I take each day and I try not to borrow trouble and to not let worry about tomorrow, rob me of today. But if I stumble, I just make it part of my dance. I feel very lucky that I am one of those that had a fairly easy transition back to "my normal life". I don't think of myself as some big Pollyanna but maybe a Little Tigger cause I bounce.
    My prayers are that your transition is smooth and easy but remember we are here if you need to vent, to talk through fears, to share a joke or to encourage others.
    Stef
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    you are a Rad Grad
    Happy Graduation from Rads. Celebrate and have some fun.Congratulations on finishing one of the milestones on your journey. Yes, there is life after treatment. No, it isn't the exact same life as you had before diagnosis; it is truly a "New normal" that takes some adjusting to. It is neither all good or all bad, just different. You are a Pink warrior. Welcome.
    Glad you found us.
    Hugs, K
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Yeah
    Congrats to YOU on finishing up with radiation! Go celebrate!
    BL
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Welcome
    SB and Congratulations on being a Rad Grad!
    ♥ Cat
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Cat64 said:

Welcome
    SB and Congratulations on being a Rad Grad!
    ♥ Cat

Congrats on finishing rads!
    Congrats on finishing rads! Life is great afterwords!

Hugs, Debby
  • j2twin
    j2twin Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your
    Congrats on finishing your rads.
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Congratulations!!
    You done it!! Life after will be great because you will make it that way. This is like a second chance at it live it to the fullest. Starting with a celebration!!
  • sb12
    sb12 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Congratulations!!
    You done it!! Life after will be great because you will make it that way. This is like a second chance at it live it to the fullest. Starting with a celebration!!

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words and support. I haven't stopped smiling and continue to take these steps with pride and joy, I made it this far. And how precious each day is. Life is good!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Love your profile pic
    and congrats on finishing! YAY!

Yes my dear, we do know that journey quite well. That's why we take comfort in being able to share one another's pains, trials, victories, frustrations, opinions, advice and even recipes. We all understand. This site and everyone in it are gifts.

Everyone tolerates meds differently so it's hard to say how your body will react after treatment. Just do the best you can with eating healthy, getting excercise and staying positive (but we have our moments).

Life is good. Life after treatment is better! :D

Blessings and hugs to you,

Sylvia
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

Love your profile pic
    and congrats on finishing! YAY!

Yes my dear, we do know that journey quite well. That's why we take comfort in being able to share one another's pains, trials, victories, frustrations, opinions, advice and even recipes. We all understand. This site and everyone in it are gifts.

Everyone tolerates meds differently so it's hard to say how your body will react after treatment. Just do the best you can with eating healthy, getting excercise and staying positive (but we have our moments).

Life is good. Life after treatment is better! :D

Blessings and hugs to you,

Sylvia

Yay .. Rad grad ..
    Sea60 explained our 'life' here on our board wonderfully. And I second the motion that life does get better, 1 day at a time after treatment. I hate hate to exercise - but it is the key to life - after breast cancer .. It helps with getting our groove back, and back to normal.

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Finished treatments
    I treated myself to girls week (friend and I)at Disney World! I have been on Tamoxifen just over 2 yrs now (3 to go)I have had one good thing from it-I have ulcertive colitis (17rys) but since on Tamoxifen it is the best it has ever been-so one good thing came from this!

After treatment-mmmmmm I loved not having to rush to my daily appts-since did them on my lunch hour. Other then that life back to normal...I can say very happily! Just had mammo (have been going every 6mths and got the OK to only go once a year now! (since 2008 back to normal)
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Yay .. Rad grad ..
    Sea60 explained our 'life' here on our board wonderfully. And I second the motion that life does get better, 1 day at a time after treatment. I hate hate to exercise - but it is the key to life - after breast cancer .. It helps with getting our groove back, and back to normal.

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam

mini document-From Cancer Center
    The day I finished treatments the cancer center gave me a little Diploma like cert. in nice display-I keep in on my kitchen counter & look at it ever once in awhile with smile!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO!
    Welcome and I am glad you found us! So very happy for you, Congratulations!

RE
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Congratulations!!

Congrats! Isn't it
    Congrats! Isn't it great!

Hugs, Jan
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    RE said:

WOO HOO!
    Welcome and I am glad you found us! So very happy for you, Congratulations!

RE

A rad grad you are!
    A rad grad you are! Congratulations!