Second surgery anyone?

Options
kellyh33
kellyh33 Member Posts: 287
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi ladies,
Mom had her initial surgery Sept 3rd and it was unsuccessful due to the location of the tumor. It was pretty well contained but it was too close to the blood supply to tell where the tumor started and the blood line ended.
Today Mom had her fifth round of chemo. After four rounds her CA-125 number is 4,056 which is a huge drop compared to 14,301 from when she was diagnosed. The doctor indicated there is a chance the tumor could shrink enough for them to try surgery again.
Does anyone have experience with this?
The disappointing news is Mom did not put on any weight. She is still 87 lbs but at least she didn't lose any. She is on a saline solution still for the next two weeks. The doctor changed her anti nausea pill on Thursday. The new one seems to be working a lot better so perhaps we'll see a weight gain Nov 15 when she goes for her next chemo.
I find it odd that when Mom had her surgery they drained 2 litres of fluid from her stomach. The doctor told us it would be back by morning. Well nearly two months later Mom's stomach is still flat. I am hoping that is a good sign.
Sorry to be rambling but I constantly think/worry about this. It is good to get my thoughts on paper.
Kelly