from breast cancer to breast angiosarcoma

Options
survivor9yrs
survivor9yrs Member Posts: 57
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
for all you ladies who have had BC, please be vigilant. i am a 10 yr survivor of BC. but at the 8 1/2 yr maark i developed another breast cancer. angiosarcoma. mine caused by the radiation i had for BC. this is a rare cancer, although it is becoming more common. it is a nasty cancer. it involves the lining of the blood vessels. it's a agressive cancer and metastizes. it may start as a bruise and sm. lump, then something that looks like a blood blister. it can be one or many. it can be out on top of the skin or under the skin. many drs. do not know what it is and have never heard of it. it's a hard diagnoses to handle, when you did everything you thought was necessary to rid yourself of BC the first time. only to have one of the cures, cause another cancer. so far i am doing good. if my scan comes back ok, i'll be a year survivor.
good luck to all of you going through BC. i pray for each and everyone of you. for your good health and a life without cancer.
survivor9yrs

Comments

• mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    Thank you
    Thank you so much for the information. I'm sorry you had to go thru this, especially when caused by the cure in the first place. Hopefully all tests will come back OK.

marge
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you have
    I am so sorry that you have experienced this. What a bummer! I am praying that your scan will be fine. Please keep us posted. Although I hate to hear of the possible longterm side effects, it is important to know about them and to be vigilant. Thank you for sharing.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

I am so sorry that you have
    I am so sorry that you have experienced this. What a bummer! I am praying that your scan will be fine. Please keep us posted. Although I hate to hear of the possible longterm side effects, it is important to know about them and to be vigilant. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for sharing
    Best of luck to you
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Good Info
    Thank you for sharing such an unknown after effect. I always wonder what is going on under the skin. I had rads so close to my heart and lungs the concern was whether either would be effected. I had shingles about 6 months before I found my tumor and I just got another case of shingles. The concern is always in the back ground but with adding another case of shingles I will be more vigilant for quit awhile. Like you, come 4/1 I will be at 10 years out.

Scotch Freckles
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Good Info
    Thank you for sharing such an unknown after effect. I always wonder what is going on under the skin. I had rads so close to my heart and lungs the concern was whether either would be effected. I had shingles about 6 months before I found my tumor and I just got another case of shingles. The concern is always in the back ground but with adding another case of shingles I will be more vigilant for quit awhile. Like you, come 4/1 I will be at 10 years out.

Scotch Freckles

I haven't heard of this. I
    I haven't heard of this. I am so sorry that this happened to you. Please keep us updated on your progress and treatment.

Hugs, Jan
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this
    Thank you for sharing this information with us. I know there are potential side effects down the road from both the chemo and radiation. We all need to be vigilent and aware of our bodies and have irregularities checked out. This is truly the gift that keeps on giving, Ugh!!
  • survivor9yrs
    survivor9yrs Member Posts: 57
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Thank you for sharing this
    Thank you for sharing this information with us. I know there are potential side effects down the road from both the chemo and radiation. We all need to be vigilent and aware of our bodies and have irregularities checked out. This is truly the gift that keeps on giving, Ugh!!

breast cancer then breast angiosarcoma
    my scan was all good.. wonderful news. will have to have scans every 6 mos. here's hoping and praying all is well in the future. we all, just have to be positive and forge on. it was a good day. tired myself out shopping....
    well wishes to all.
    survivor9yrs
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    Thank you
    Thank you for sharing your experience, though clearly difficult, I pray the same for you..good health and a life without cancer. God bless you and keep you safe..hugs..alison
  • webbwife50
    Options
    Thank you
    Thank you for sharing your experience, though clearly difficult, I pray the same for you..good health and a life without cancer. God bless you and keep you safe..hugs..alison
  • webbwife50
    Options
    Thank you
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Thanks
    for the information but I am sorry you are dealing with this. Hope you are doing all right?
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Thanks
    for the information but I am sorry you are dealing with this. Hope you are doing all right?
    {{hugs}} Char

Yes, thank for posting this.
    Yes, thanks for posting this. I have not heard of this either, but, will be more informed now. Praying for you and wishing you good luck.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Thanks
    {{hugs}} Char

Double post

sorry
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

Thank you

A friend of mine told me
    A friend of mine told me about this, but, I never looked it up for more information. I will now. I will pray for you and thanks for sharing this.

Hugs, Diane
  • SLeigh
    SLeigh Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Breast Angiosarcoma
    I am 14year breast cancer survivor - had lumpectomy-radiation & chemo in 1996
    In 2008 - discovered lump - doctors said skin changes from radiation
    - had biopsy -lymphocytoma/benign - nothing on mammogram
    In 2009 - lump returned - checked again - nothing on mammogram
    In May 2010 - more small pea sized lumps appeared under skin - original lump still there and felt like scar tissue -
    Nothing on mammogram - had ultrasound - nothing
    Saw surgeon again - thought it was breast skin changes from radiation
    Was not satisfied - saw second surgeon -
    Did 2 biopsies - several ultrasounds - assured me no cancer!
    Sent me to dermatologist - he insisted on biopsy of original site
    In 2 days - I was given diagnosis of secondary angiosarcoma
    By the next week - I had new lesions/purple/red - maybe 8 in all.
    Went back to surgeon - had mastectomy on November 15, 2010
    Pathology Report - Low grade/multi-focal/secondary angiosarcoma
    Seeing oncologist - searching for answers - have we done all that is necessary?
    I have been told chemo and radiation would not be helpful. Seeking information....
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Options
    Thank you so much for the
    Thank you so much for the info. I had radiation after chemo, I will sure keep on eye on any symptoms you mentioned.

Lupe
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    SLeigh said:

Breast Angiosarcoma
    I am 14year breast cancer survivor - had lumpectomy-radiation & chemo in 1996
    In 2008 - discovered lump - doctors said skin changes from radiation
    - had biopsy -lymphocytoma/benign - nothing on mammogram
    In 2009 - lump returned - checked again - nothing on mammogram
    In May 2010 - more small pea sized lumps appeared under skin - original lump still there and felt like scar tissue -
    Nothing on mammogram - had ultrasound - nothing
    Saw surgeon again - thought it was breast skin changes from radiation
    Was not satisfied - saw second surgeon -
    Did 2 biopsies - several ultrasounds - assured me no cancer!
    Sent me to dermatologist - he insisted on biopsy of original site
    In 2 days - I was given diagnosis of secondary angiosarcoma
    By the next week - I had new lesions/purple/red - maybe 8 in all.
    Went back to surgeon - had mastectomy on November 15, 2010
    Pathology Report - Low grade/multi-focal/secondary angiosarcoma
    Seeing oncologist - searching for answers - have we done all that is necessary?
    I have been told chemo and radiation would not be helpful. Seeking information....

Haven't heard of this
    Haven't heard of this either. Sending prayers to the both of you and anyone else that this might happen to.

Hugs, Megan