Anybody ready for winter?

Options
ladyg
ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know I'm not but as I look outside there is a lot of that white stuff called snow coming down! This is what we call fall in Central Oregon....lol

Hugs,
Georgia

Comments

• Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Summer
    I am just north of you on the WA coast and we never had a summer here. Raining like crazy, wind gusts at 70mph. Dogs are crossing their legs, they don't like the wind either. I can't believe it is snowing in Oregon already but this storm going through is rather cold and coming your way. I guess it is better than chemo.

Scotch Freckles
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I HATE winter here! It's
    I HATE winter here! It's long and hard and I won't really feel warm til next June. We're supposed to get snow tomorrow and into Wed.

I love winter on the Island (Whidbey Island, WA - lived there 12 years) though. Yes, it can definately get nasty but the really bad does not last for 7 months at a time with little to no relief as it does here. Well except for the time I got caught on Rainier in a blizzard - that was bad but I got us all out safe. Winter wasn't bad except for the wind in the Northern Mojave. Winter was definately not bad growing up in SW FL. Here though - it's the pits! If didn't have horses that have to be cared for no matter what the weather is - I'd probably not hate it so much IF I could stay in a warm house, get in a warm vehicle and just have to be in the weather to get into stores - probably wouldn't be that bad But that's not possible. Oh Well - I'm not about to get rid of the horses so I have to just wear mega layers and always have on a snowmobile suit or bibs and down jacket.

Susan

added: Hubby took the vehicles out to the Base Auto Hobby Shop this past weekend and changed oil/greased/checked everything so they (all 3 are 4X4's - my BroncoII, my 3/4T and Hubby's 3/4T) are ready for the snow to fly. The only 'clothes' I need are a new pair of pacs as mine are getting old and I don't want something to happen (a 'blowout') when I need to keep my feet warm so I need a new pair before winter really sinks in.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Rague said:

I HATE winter here! It's
    I HATE winter here! It's long and hard and I won't really feel warm til next June. We're supposed to get snow tomorrow and into Wed.

I love winter on the Island (Whidbey Island, WA - lived there 12 years) though. Yes, it can definately get nasty but the really bad does not last for 7 months at a time with little to no relief as it does here. Well except for the time I got caught on Rainier in a blizzard - that was bad but I got us all out safe. Winter wasn't bad except for the wind in the Northern Mojave. Winter was definately not bad growing up in SW FL. Here though - it's the pits! If didn't have horses that have to be cared for no matter what the weather is - I'd probably not hate it so much IF I could stay in a warm house, get in a warm vehicle and just have to be in the weather to get into stores - probably wouldn't be that bad But that's not possible. Oh Well - I'm not about to get rid of the horses so I have to just wear mega layers and always have on a snowmobile suit or bibs and down jacket.

Susan

added: Hubby took the vehicles out to the Base Auto Hobby Shop this past weekend and changed oil/greased/checked everything so they (all 3 are 4X4's - my BroncoII, my 3/4T and Hubby's 3/4T) are ready for the snow to fly. The only 'clothes' I need are a new pair of pacs as mine are getting old and I don't want something to happen (a 'blowout') when I need to keep my feet warm so I need a new pair before winter really sinks in.

Well today the high here is about 90-91. So I am definitely ready for cooler weather! Here in the heart of Texas we do not always get much winter, had snow 2-3 times last year which is highly unusual. I would be happy with highs in the 50's and a good north wind about now! Stay warm ladies in the NW. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • wercancerfree
    wercancerfree Member Posts: 7
    Options

Well today the high here is about 90-91. So I am definitely ready for cooler weather! Here in the heart of Texas we do not always get much winter, had snow 2-3 times last year which is highly unusual. I would be happy with highs in the 50's and a good north wind about now! Stay warm ladies in the NW. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Winter
    I live in Michigan where the snow doesn't know how to stop until Spring. We moved here from Indiana (why I don't remember) but the first winter we were here we had 20+ inches of snow. I didn't think it would ever quit snowing. We are in the lake effect snow area of Lake Michigan.
  • Rague
    Options
    Rague said:

I HATE winter here! It's

Susan

Just realized I wasn't clear -
    and it won't let me edit the above now.

I'm not in the Great Pacific NorthWest anymore - unfortunately. I'm on the prairie just east of the Black Hills of Dakota. It may be called 'South' Dakota but it's only 'south' along the lines of the South Pole - well it's not really that cold but not far from it. LOL

Susan
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Just realized I wasn't clear -
    and it won't let me edit the above now.

I'm not in the Great Pacific NorthWest anymore - unfortunately. I'm on the prairie just east of the Black Hills of Dakota. It may be called 'South' Dakota but it's only 'south' along the lines of the South Pole - well it's not really that cold but not far from it. LOL

Susan

Chicago winters are long,
    Chicago winters are long, but with all the hot flashes I am looking forward to the cooler weather.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Yeah Janice
    91 degrees!! Ya know you live in Texas...Sheesh...I'd better not hold my breath waiting for Fall. We had a few "teaser" days. It's supposed to get to the 50's (coldest yet) by this Thursday.

Sylvia
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    So ready
    Haven't been a fan of the heat in several years and treatment and extreme hot flashes (can that become a new sport ya think) have done nothing to change that. I'm in Colorado Springs and we're supposed to be below freezing tonight. My cats already spend all night inside on my bed instead of outside doing what cats do. It's getting really crowded with my husband and I and four cats.

Anyway, can't wait and please don't let me complain about the cold when it comes. : )

marge
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options

So ready
    Haven't been a fan of the heat in several years and treatment and extreme hot flashes (can that become a new sport ya think) have done nothing to change that. I'm in Colorado Springs and we're supposed to be below freezing tonight. My cats already spend all night inside on my bed instead of outside doing what cats do. It's getting really crowded with my husband and I and four cats.

Anyway, can't wait and please don't let me complain about the cold when it comes. : )

marge

the weatherman predicts it
    the weatherman predicts it to be in the 90's today......
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options

the weatherman predicts it
    the weatherman predicts it to be in the 90's today......

I'm with you Marge
    So ready!
    I love Colorado in the winter, I live in Denver and yes we are suppose to get some cold weather maybe even some snow : )
    It truly helps the Hot Flashes!!
    Karie
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    weazer said:

I'm with you Marge
    So ready!
    I love Colorado in the winter, I live in Denver and yes we are suppose to get some cold weather maybe even some snow : )
    It truly helps the Hot Flashes!!
    Karie

It is still summer weather
    It is still summer weather in Philadelphia! But, I am ready to get cozy in some flannel pjs. Oh, and can't forget the Ugg boots! And how can we forget the comfort food that is so delish in the winter, I'm talking Mac and cheese, homemade soup, chili, and don't forget the turkey!
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    meena1 said:

It is still summer weather in Philadelphia! But, I am ready to get cozy in some flannel pjs. Oh, and can't forget the Ugg boots! And how can we forget the comfort food that is so delish in the winter, I'm talking Mac and cheese, homemade soup, chili, and don't forget the turkey!

Winter???
    This is the best time of year here in sunny San Diego -- calm flat ocean, clear fall days in the 70's, no tourists. Winter is actually May gray and June gloom.

xo
    Victoria
  • Rague
    Options
    meena1 said:

YUCK -
    Turkey - yuck. I know - everybody is supposed to love turkey but I don't. When the boys were little I'd cook one turkey a year - they got to chose rather it was Thanksgiving or Christmas (Roasting hen for the other holiday). Now - if Hubby wants turkey, he can get some at a resturant.

Susan
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    NO!
    Reprieve tomorrow - supposed to be 70. But, I'm sure it will snow by the 31st - always does.

I drive over an hour to my parents every weekend and I am a white knuckle winter driver. Also, my daughter just took a new job working evenings about 18 miles from her home. A very rough winter drive and my heart is in my throat just thinking about it. She's young and doesn't have that much winter driving experience, and this will put any she has to the test.

But I have always lived in central NY and I believe I always will. After all these years (almost57) you'd think I'd get used to it.

Hope everyone fares well.

Sue
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I would love a little
    I would love a little winter. It was humid and 87 degrees here today--yuck! Supposed to be cooler this weekend; I can't wait. But, we rarely have snow or tough winters here. But a cool, brisk fall day would be nice...sigh.
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    not looking forward to the cold of winter
    Today was lovely. Still very Spring -like in NYC this week.I am not in a hurry for the cold or the snow. Hate slush. Snow quickly becomes that ugly dirty slush in a matter of minutes here.The snow is lovely as it comes down and coats the trees and covers the grass in the park but I dislke wading through slush. Hoping to be a Snowbird in a few years and head south, to where else- Florida, the annex of NYC.
    Hugs,
    K
    PS I do love all the comfort foods: chili, pumpkin soup, clam chowder, lasagna, rice and beans, hot cocoa, hot cider and pumpkin pie.