Meditation: Jon Kabat-Zinn

Options
Bella Luna
Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Thought I'd share this tidbit with you all. Several weeks ago I went to a talk on Mindfulness at UCLA. The presentor was Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn. The event was sponsored by the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

Dr. Kabat-Zinn is a doctor and author who developed a practice to help individuals dealing with chronic and/or terminal illnesses. He works at a University Hospital in Massachusetts. The program( meditation) he developed is in use throughout the country and has shown to help individuals cope with their reality. It doesn't change their life situation, but it does help with learning how to be in the moment, manage pain, and filter negative thought processes.

He shared many studies have been done on meditation and found positive effects with individuals who practiced regularly. For me, it is a form of prayer.

I plan to get one of his books as his talk was very practical and beneficial to all because we all deal with stress of one kind or another. I have to share that Goldie Hawn was one of the individuals who attended the talk that night.

I hope that this does not sound like I am pushing a philosophy on any of you. I am merely sharing with you as I found this helpful.

Best of luck to all on their journey.
BL

Comments

• webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    Yes, very interesting!
    I don't remember the author's name, but he discussed his ideas how the brain functions and how we can make changes, on the Dr. Phil Show, funny, TVO him. The book was called "Unchain your brain", I'm gloing to look into your post also, thank you....God speaks to us all the time!!
  • Jennifer1961
    Jennifer1961 Member Posts: 137
    Options
    Thanks. I've been looking for some good meditation tips.
    thanks
  • Bella Luna
    Options
    YouTube
    You can also see him speak on YouTube. It sounds like he has contributed so much to so many individuals.
    BL
  • Bella Luna
    Options
    Spamster Nuisance
    My blog got bumped back thanks to the spamster. What a annoying nuisance.
    Bl
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    For sharing this - I'm definitely going to check it out.

From my yoga practice, I try to remember to stay in the moment, but I have not been as good about being consistent and meditating every day.

I have heard it said that you should medidate for 10 minutes every day, and that if you don't have 10 minutes to meditate, you need to meditate for 30 minutes!

Namaste,
    Cindy
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The value of mindfulness
    Since my diagnosis and surgery, I have returned to yoga class, this time, one specifically designed for Breast Cancer survivors here in NYC. I have only been to a few sessions (so far) but I find them very helpful and restorative.Part of yoga practice is meditation.
    I have been teaching Mindfulness for close to two years to my clients who are dealing with both emotional stress and medical disorders. It is very effective and a valuable coping strategy, as is prayer.
    Glad you were able to hear Jon Kabat Zinn. I have read his books and heard him speak on several shows and on training video. Lucky you to have such an opportunity.
    Thanks for sharing, I didn't feel that you were pushing a philosphy but rather providing some information about something that might be useful to others.
    Hugs,K